CW21's 2019 NFL Draft Thread (Bring On Questions)

CWood21

On 8/19/2018 at 12:25 AM, ClutchDJ said:

What are your on thoughts on the following:

Levonta Taylor

Diontae Johnson

Jalen Jelks

Don't really see anything special with Levonta Taylor.  I generally don't like smaller corners, and he's listed at 5'10" on the FSU website.  If he comes in much shorter, that's not going to bode well for his chances of getting drafted high.  Doesn't have a history of forcing interceptions either, so I'm not really high on him right now.  Diontae Johnson certainly looks interesting.  At first glance, his build reminded me of Jaelen Strong but he's clearly a better athlete.  Definitely a guy worth keeping an eye on.  Jelks saw his numbers jump quite a bit this past season, but I watched him a bit against Arizona and I'm hoping that's just a bad game for him.  Nice frame, but not sure the athleticism matches it.

11 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Diontae Johnson certainly looks interesting.  At first glance, his build reminded me of Jaelen Strong but he's clearly a better athlete

Woah, what? O.o

-Diontae is 5'11" and in the 180's

-Jaelen Strong was 6'2"+ and 217 lbs. at the Combine

On 8/22/2018 at 12:50 AM, FinneasGage said:

on paper right now where's the strengths/weaknesses of this class? where's it deep or where's it shallow? 

Obviously still early, but it appears to be rather strong along both the offensive and defensive lines.  Which given the last few years, that's a welcome sight.  Not sure there is a ton of talent in the secondary.

On 8/31/2018 at 11:21 AM, Danand said:

As a dane, I am rooting for Arkansas Razorbacks guard Hjalte Froholdt, how do you see him?

Given that there is a lack of quality offensive lineman, if you have a prerequisite frame and don't have stone blocks for feet odds are you're going to get a look at the next level.  If he wants to improve his draft status, he'll need to show some more versatility since I believe the only thing he played at Arkansas was LG.  If he can add snapping to his resume, it'll improve his draft stock.

20 hours ago, Shylo3716 said:

What’s your take on Trevon Diggs?

Glad he's finally getting a shot at the CB position.  Last year, Alabama had a pair of really good corners in Anthony Averett and Tony Brown.  It's hard to get mad that Diggs didn't win that position.  The nod is usually going to go to the veteran player if it's close.

19 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Comfort me cwood. How is the DL talent looking? Is Rashaan Gary all that right now, or is he more of a projection at this point?

The defensive line is looking really, really strong.  Hell, Clemson has potentially 3 or 4 first round picks alone on their defensive line.  As for Gary, I think you see the tools there.  He's definitely twitchy enough to be an impact pass rusher, but the one thing I noticed is he's usually the last one of the line.  Right now, Nick Bosa is the best of the bunch but after that there is a slew of EDGE you could say are graded relatively closely.

For the Packers, the 2018 draft had several pass rushers, but (almost) every one had limitations and they went CB, CB, instead..

My question is that in the 2019 draft (which looks a very good one for 3/4 OLB types), do you think there are enough good rushers to get a starter-quality guy in round two (which would probably be the Packers 3rd pick), or is the talent dropoff still too steep, to get a good rusher in round 2 ?

Bosa and Ferrell look like they will be long gone by the Packers pick, but Montez Sweat, Joe Jackson, Jalen Jelks, Josh Allen, Austin Bryant, Christian Miller, Tevon Coney, Porter Gustin, are among the guys that look interesting, as early-draftable prospects. Is the 2019 draft as good (for 3-4 OLBs) as it looks to me at the moment ?

Archived