Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

I have no idea how supplemental draft picks get paid.  For example if the team that selects you uses a 2nd round pick to do so, would the player receive like an average 2nd round pick contract?

Anyway.  I found it somewhat surprising the NFL chose not to go forward with the supplemental draft.  With the NCAA season (and NFL season for that matter) up in the air, there were some college players that could’ve benefited from this.

11 hours ago, germ-x said:

I have no idea how supplemental draft picks get paid.  For example if the team that selects you uses a 2nd round pick to do so, would the player receive like an average 2nd round pick contract?

Anyway.  I found it somewhat surprising the NFL chose not to go forward with the supplemental draft.  With the NCAA season (and NFL season for that matter) up in the air, there were some college players that could’ve benefited from this.

The PR line is that they didn't want to have another event with unnecessary meetings / interactions - but the reality is that this was done purely out of team benefits - because outside of star players who chose to return to school (like a Chuba Hubbard), very few teams would have scouted those guys, and pretty much have no shot of getting more info now.    It definitely sucks for the players, I think quite a few would have gone this route given how the landscape with playing in 2020-spring 2021 looks so far.

Just my gut feel on this, but the current state of affairs tells me that fall college football is a pipe dream.   The NFL is going to face a challenge to get the season in, and they can throw 8-figures in $ support, and have a league infrastructure and process they can apply to each team.    Nothing like that exists in college, and there are just so many college teams.  And to be clear, the NFL season is still far from guaranteed - but for college, it's looking like spring 2021 is the best hope - and then that throws the 2021 draft and NFL scouting process a huge monkey wrench.   The NFL I'm more hopeful on, but college football in the fall is something I wouldn't be counting on at all.

8 hours ago, Broncofan said:

The PR line is that they didn't want to have another event with unnecessary meetings / interactions - but the reality is that this was done purely out of team benefits - because outside of star players who chose to return to school (like a Chuba Hubbard), very few teams would have scouted those guys, and pretty much have no shot of getting more info now.    It definitely sucks for the players, I think quite a few would have gone this route given how the landscape with playing in 2020-spring 2021 looks so far.

Just my gut feel on this, but the current state of affairs tells me that fall college football is a pipe dream.   The NFL is going to face a challenge to get the season in, and they can throw 8-figures in $ support, and have a league infrastructure and process they can apply to each team.    Nothing like that exists in college, and there are just so many college teams.  And to be clear, the NFL season is still far from guaranteed - but for college, it's looking like spring 2021 is the best hope - and then that throws the 2021 draft and NFL scouting process a huge monkey wrench.   The NFL I'm more hopeful on, but college football in the fall is something I wouldn't be counting on at all.

Oh I don’t expect a college season.  A buddy of mine coaches at the FCS level and doesn’t see anyway it happens in the fall.  

Which is why I feel bad there wasn’t a supplemental draft, even if some accommodations were made to where athletes could return to school if they weren’t selected or selected as high as they thought they might be.

• 2 weeks later...

Who is the last good player Denver drafted and extended? Is it Wolfe? Happened so long ago he’s already on another team.

Edit: Forgot Von got his in 2016. The year we won a Super Bowl. The last time our front office rewarded a drafted player and he was the first pick of the Elway era. Kinda wild.

Edited by BroncoBruin

13 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Who is the last good player Denver drafted and extended? Is it Wolfe? Happened so long ago he’s already on another team.

Edit: Forgot Von got his in 2016. The year we won a Super Bowl. The last time our front office rewarded a drafted player and he was the first pick of the Elway era. Kinda wild.

The team is cash poor, but Elway also doesn't like paying guys what they are worth. It sucks that the team couldn't extend Simmons. Very few guys on deals right now. Disappointing. 

• 2 weeks later...