Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

4 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Thanks my friend. Congrats to you as well! Always an exciting time. For my mom and my mother-in-law it's their first grandchild so they're predictably over the moon lol.

Oh just wait, they’ll probably want to buy the baby a lot of stuff and my advice is let them buy whatever they want. 

• Like 1

On 6/7/2022 at 6:34 PM, broncosfan07 said:

Oh just wait, they’ll probably want to buy the baby a lot of stuff and my advice is let them buy whatever they want. 

... But don't be afraid to tell people (who you know are going to buy gifts) what you'd like.

We got about 3,123 pieces of 0-3 months clothing, and about 3 pieces beyond 🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lomaxgrUK said:

... But don't be afraid to tell people (who you know are going to buy gifts) what you'd like.

We got about 3,123 pieces of 0-3 months clothing, and about 3 pieces beyond 🤣

Yes that’s important that when you have enough tell people what you would need instead. And be prepaired to either return stuff or realize it may never get worn because you will get for instance 0-3 month summer clothes in winter and may never get worn.

2 hours ago, broncosfan07 said:

Yes that’s important that when you have enough tell people what you would need instead. And be prepaired to either return stuff or realize it may never get worn because you will get for instance 0-3 month summer clothes in winter and may never get worn.

These are great points lol. Especially because she'll be born in October. Lotta people already buying stuff, but I've said as long as I can buy a Broncos onesie, Wolves (EPL) onesie, Terps onesie, and Bucks onesie, I am good lol

Yeah Ben what we did, since my wife had so much baby stuff to begin with, was, while she had her cute women only baby shower and got a bunch of stuff, we did a coed baby shower at a local craft brewery and told everyone to bring just a box of diapers and/or wipes. You can never have enough of those and we cleaned up, no pun intended. By the time we had our daughter fully potty trained (like literally a few weeks ago) we still have a few boxes left. 

The big things to buy are the bassinet, crib, car seats, changing table and diaper pail, get one that seals (it costs more but it WELL worth it). Look at baby sales and Facebook marketplace. A lot of people go spend a fortune and use something for 2 months or just a few years so you can find high quality stuff for cheap and put the money you would  have spent buying brand new stuff into a 529. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Yeah Ben what we did, since my wife had so much baby stuff to begin with, was, while she had her cute women only baby shower and got a bunch of stuff, we did a coed baby shower at a local craft brewery and told everyone to bring just a box of diapers and/or wipes. You can never have enough of those and we cleaned up, no pun intended. By the time we had our daughter fully potty trained (like literally a few weeks ago) we still have a few boxes left. 

The big things to buy are the bassinet, crib, car seats, changing table and diaper pail, get one that seals (it costs more but it WELL worth it). Look at baby sales and Facebook marketplace. A lot of people go spend a fortune and use something for 2 months or just a few years so you can find high quality stuff for cheap and put the money you would  have spent buying brand new stuff into a 529. 

I love the coed shower idea with the diapers/wipes. Brilliant. We're doing something coed-ish - my wife will have the women-only shower at a nice golf course near us, guys will golf and everyone meets up after. 

FB Marketplace idea is also brilliant. We don't have any other girls in our family so not a ton of hand me downs. My best friend moved to our town and they have a 2 y/o daughter so we'll likely get some of her stuff, but I've been trying to figure out the best way to find some stuff for cheap.

Second question for those w/ kids - is it worth buying a membership to a store like Sam's Club (support the Broncos!), Costco, or BJs? It will still be only 3 of us. Would love to get your thoughts on that lol

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

I love the coed shower idea with the diapers/wipes. Brilliant. We're doing something coed-ish - my wife will have the women-only shower at a nice golf course near us, guys will golf and everyone meets up after. 

FB Marketplace idea is also brilliant. We don't have any other girls in our family so not a ton of hand me downs. My best friend moved to our town and they have a 2 y/o daughter so we'll likely get some of her stuff, but I've been trying to figure out the best way to find some stuff for cheap.

Second question for those w/ kids - is it worth buying a membership to a store like Sam's Club (support the Broncos!), Costco, or BJs? It will still be only 3 of us. Would love to get your thoughts on that lol

I’m sure they do it out there too but my wife was always able to find baby sales at various places in our area, we actually got a the bassinet and one of our strollers at a baby sale, I had to tighten up a few screws on the bassinet but we walked with both it and the stroller for $75. Clothes especially are great to get there and FB marketplace, much better paying full retail for a little shirt or onesie or something she’ll wear twice.

Again we are lucky because my wife had been collecting random baby stuff, mostly clothes but also bottles and cups and that kind of stuff, before she even met me and just kept them all in totes in a storage unit. 

As far as Sam’s/Costco, we have memberships to both and have had them since before Olivia came along. It’s good to buy things like paper goods, detergent, dry food stuff and the like, and it’s cheaper for gasoline too. I’d recommend it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

All in all, the next few months are going to be a roller coaster of stress, tension, anxiety, mood swings, nausea, insomnia, depression, physical pain. Through it all, just remember, pregnancy is hard on the woman too 🤣

I've gotten pretty good at knowing how to be quiet lol

• Like 1

9 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Don't worry bud, it gets easier. Before you know it'll be $1000 dollar cell phones, cars, etc. Get used to " but Daaad, all my friends have one". Another good one is "but all the kids dress this way". 

Also, beware the promises based on achievement IE: "if you get straight A's I'll buy you ______________ (fill in the blank)

Damned if they won't do it.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2022 at 6:22 AM, broncos67 said:

We did a diaper raffle and got tons of diapers. As far as Costco the food aspect isn’t super useful but diapers, wipes and formula are absolutely worth it. Gift cards are probably honestly the most useful thing because then you both get to pick out what you want/need. Not sure if it’s a CO thing but there’s a store called Once Upon A Child that is great to check out.

I think I'm putting my second offer in on a house in Austin tomorrow morning - really excited about this one but I can't get emotionally tied ... our first offer ended up being 15k over list but 60-70k under what it went for ........... SMH 

Horrible time to buy, esp in this city (and Denver) but it's just the time that worked for us. So we will see 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, champ11 said:

I think I'm putting my second offer in on a house in Austin tomorrow morning - really excited about this one but I can't get emotionally tied ... our first offer ended up being 15k over list but 60-70k under what it went for ........... SMH 

Horrible time to buy, esp in this city (and Denver) but it's just the time that worked for us. So we will see 

Whenever you need it, constructiva realty inspections (Casey is the guys name) is fantastic for home inspections. Best of luck, Texas is especially brutal given escalation clauses aren’t a thing. 

24 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

Whenever you need it, constructiva realty inspections (Casey is the guys name) is fantastic for home inspections. Best of luck, Texas is especially brutal given escalation clauses aren’t a thing. 

Good looks dude, I do not have one on deck so if we get this accepted I will call them 

• Like 1