What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

3 minutes ago, Dome said:

You got your new york strip steak, and your filet mignon. Everyone knows (or should know) those two steaks.

When those two steaks haven't been cut off the primal yet and are still attached to the bone you can cut them both at once and keep them on the bone. That's a T-bone steak.

towards the end of the tbone the steaks you cut get bigger, these are oftern called porterhouse steaks. some places sell tbones and porterhouses as the same, some places will charge more for the porterhouse. technically, it's the same steak.

the porterhouse has a larger portion of the filet, and the new york portion has an extra membrane with a piece of meat that's more tender than the rest of the new york. It makes sense to charge more for these for those reasons, but we are a small store serving a small community, so we just call them all tbones to sell them easier. 

This picture shows it well. the filet is the smaller portion to the left of the bone, the new york steak is on the right.

that chunk of meat surrounded by a thin layer of fat right above the sprig of greenery? that's what makes it a "porterhouse" also notice how much larger the tenderloin is on the porterhouse

t-bone-porterhouse-collage-labeled-630x4

I thought the tenderloin was the piece on the left? (I’m still new to cut meat)

7 minutes ago, theuntouchable said:

I thought the tenderloin was the piece on the left? (I’m still new to cut meat)

It is. 

if you follow the fat on the top (new york) down towards the tail end of the cut, you'll see on the porterhouse theres that little chunk of meat that has it's own layer of fat surrounding it. That's what I was referring too there.

it is often what people use to determine if the steak is labeled a "porterhouse" or "tbone" .... Pretty sure the official name for that tender goodness is "the good little piece"

they're technically the same cut, it's a little subjective where a t-bone becomes a porterhouse.

Edited by Dome

8 minutes ago, Dome said:

It is. 

if you follow the fat on the top (new york) down towards the tail end of the cut, you'll see on the porterhouse theres that little chunk of meat that has it's own layer of fat surrounding it. That's what I was referring too there.

it is often what people use to determine if the steak is labeled a "porterhouse" or "tbone" .... Pretty sure the official name for that tender goodness is "the good little piece"

Ok I read what you were saying wrong lol my fault

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tyty said:

I wish I could be a tad bit more irresponsible with my money. Literally every time I decide to buy something I think of the ole bank account and say no lol

Just do it, consequences aren’t a real thing if you don’t let them be