What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

1 hour ago, Tyty said:

My sisters mother in law kinda waited til the last second to get checked. It’s not a stubbornness that decides not to get checked out but a fear that it is what it is and the longer you try to put it off, the more likely you can kinda trick yourself into believing/hoping it’s nothing 

IDK. My dad has given himself stitches twice that I know of, is kind of a survivalist mindset guy. Volunteer firefighter for 20 years, he has made splints for his fingers and wrist and treated his own burns since I was little. My mom was a damn nurse and he wouldn't even let her help him.

Weird guy. He's always been a good guy, but a weird one.

so australia just got their seventh prime minister since 2007, scott morrison, who won after malcolm turnbull vacated the leadership; let's have a recap of what happened. read this, because it is wild, and it is too crazy to make up. i'm totally not procrastinating for a uni assignment rn. there is a tldr if ur lame but take the time to get learned tbh

tuesday:

• there's rumblings of a challenge to turnbull's leadership because the conservative side of the liberal party (the liberals are our centre-right party; liberal as in traditional liberalism liberal rather than social liberal) is railing against his national energy guarantee. chris pyne, a fixer for the turnbull government, says on the morning program sunrise there will be no leadership spill
  • three hours after pyne speaks, turnbull vacates the leadership himself and recontests, winning by a vote of 48-35 (elected members of his party vote). turnbull shocks the entire party by calling this self-spill to try and show he has the numbers, but it has backfired; the margin is the closest ever for a first-time challenge as uber-conservative and all round **** bloke peter dutton gets votes from the traditional conservative side of the party
  • the fact that without any preparation, peter dutton was able to only fall seven votes short of prime ministership is damning for turnbull
  • mathias cormann, very popular in the party, as well as scott morrison, come out in a press conference with turnbull as a show of solidarity in his leadership. it's said that turnbull, while backed by cormann, is safe as PM
  • dutton vows that he will re-challenge. what's important to note here is that turnbull is by far the public's preferred PM: his party is trailing opinion polls 54-46 but he still leads bill shorten, leader of the labor party, in terms of preferred prime minister by like 15%. peter dutton on the other hand loses preferred PM opinion polls to shorten quite handily because he's arguably the most hated politician in the country, but all the conservative factions in the liberals don't see this. reports are the second challenge could be as early as thursday

wednesday:

• all quiet on the front until 7pm. word comes out that dutton is circulating a petition to force the second spill, and believes that he can get the numbers. malcolm refuses to stand down, and says that, i quote, he was on tuesday confirmed by the "iron laws or arithmetic" to be the preferred prime minister. dutton needs to get 43 signatures to have a majority
  • it comes out that dutton may be ruled invalid to even sit in parliament by the constitution due to fiduciary interests in a thing subsidised by the government. if he is referred to the high court the challenge can almost certainly not go ahead

thursday:

• the petition is still circulating. word comes out that cormann, in addition to important ministers michaelia cash and mitch fifield, are holding a presser.
  • cormann says that he, cash, and fifield, are now on team dutton, two days after being at turnbull's right hand in his victory presser. cormann says that last night he went to malcolm to advise that his position was untenable and malcolm should stand down. malcolm said no. he still says no.
  • eleven of the cabinet ministers who supported dutton, including cormann and co, have resigned. malcolm literally has no ministry. we can not hold question time (a sitting of parliament) when there is no ministry
  • malcolm announces that if he sees dutton's petition, to see who's knifed him in the back, he'll call a party meeting, and if they vote to spill the leadership, he will not contest
  • a vote in the house to refer dutton to the high court is voted down 68-69. malcolm voted to not refer.
  • the liberals use their one man majority to vote to shut down parliament, because malcolm has no government. it's obvious now malcolm will not be prime minister by tomorrow. we literally have no sitting parliament now.
  • scott morrison, the treasurer, announces he is going to run in a spill. julie bishop, the deputy, also announces a candidacy. both of them are more moderate compared to dutton.
  • turnbull announce that he will quit politics if he's ousted. the coalition only has a one seat majority in parliament and so malcolm resigning would force a key byelection
  • a poll comes out that 55% of australians are less likely to vote for a liberal party under dutton. a swathe of mps threaten to vote against their own party if dutton becomes the leader.

friday:

• it comes out that mitch fifield, who stood with cormann and cash, has switched to scomo from dutton. though cormann brings votes with him to dutton, fifield takes some of them to scomo; both of them are well respected by the party, but with the defection of fifield, now morrison has the momentum
  • warren entsch is the 43rd signature on the petition to force the meeting: he says that he does so to see this resolved. he is a staunch social progressive in the party and stands with turnbull
  • the vote for whether or not to spill is held. spill wins by 45-40, meaning after all this, 40 mps were still backing malcolm in. what's significant here is; cormann, cash, and fifield, said yesterday they were defecting from turnbull because he was the captain of a sinking ship. if they had held with him, the vote would have maintained his leadership 43-42
  • bishop loses the first ballot, dutton prevailing by 38-36-11. this means a runoff is held between dutton and scomo
  • scomo wins the second ballot 45-40. dutton, who was the massive favourite to win from tuesday to thursday, has done a greg norman and choked on the final day; word spreads that people from his camp were bullying and using dirty tactics to try and persuade mps to vote for him
  • it comes out that cormann's three were signatures 22-24; meaning they said they believed turnbull was untenable when the petition was still 20 signatures off any credence
  • josh frydenberg is elected as deputy prime minister. frydenberg is the architect of the national energy guaranatee, which is the very policy that caused all this fracas

tl:dr

a bunch of uber conservatives tried installing a guy literally everyone hates as prime minister. they failed. it caused such a brouhaha the prime minister's position became untenable, despite being the candidate for the next election most preferred as prime minister by the voting public. a bunch of key ministers defected citing untenability; it became a self fulfilling prophecy, because if they didn't defect, malcolm turnbull still had the numbers to be, er... tenable... 

the vote that ensued led to our centre-right treasurer being installed as pm, coming in as a compromise candidate. the deputy is now the man who created the policy conservatives knifed malcolm turnbull for backing. we have our seventh pm since 2007, and if the election next year goes to prediction, we will have our eighth. heck.

Edited by Shady Slim
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Thanks guys. I'm just more pissed off than anything. Took him over 60 years to finally get insurance, then he refuses to use it until he's too weak to cut hair. After mom died of cancer in 2012 you'd think he'd take it seriously but didn't. My youngest is only 15 months old, she will never even remember him and he is her favorite person in the world.

He is supposed to have surgery Tuesday to make him more comfortable at least.

I'm glad you took the initiative to get looked at Tyty. Hopefully everyone else here does as well if they have any medical concerns.

Hey man, that sucks. Sorry to hear it.

I know you don't want to hear this, but talk to him about end of life planning, wills, etc. The hospital should have people to help. If stuff goes south, who is going to be making his decisions, what happens to his estate, etc. Dealing with that stuff is a pain in the *** when you want to spend time with him, but it is a whole lot worse after.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shady Slim said:

so australia just got their seventh prime minister since 2007, scott morrison, who won after malcolm turnbull vacated the leadership; let's have a recap of what happened. read this, because it is wild, and it is too crazy to make up.

Not only was there zero mention of any shrimps on any barbies but you never once said the word mate. Obviously fake.

Also I didn't read the whole thing so I'm not sure if that's true.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Not only was there zero mention of any shrimps on any barbies but you never once said the word mate. Obviously fake.

just read the whole thing is true. 

also no mention of crocs or 'roos. 

Either @Shady Slim is trolling, or he lives in the weird part of Australia. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dome said:

just read the whole thing is true. 

also no mention of crocs or 'roos. 

Either @Shady Slim is trolling, or he lives in the weird part of Australia. 

And a vote of no confidence in Australia is done by those in favor yelling "g'day mate" while those against yell "crikey", so legally it doesn't even make sense.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I bet he's not even wearing a slouch hat and tiny vest, while carrying a big knife.

Sorry for all the jokes slim, don't mean to make light of a poor political situation.

I'm really surprised honestly, I thought that it has been more of a free for all/every man for himself situation since Steve Irwin died. Glad ya'll are holdin' up. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Hey man, that sucks. Sorry to hear it.

I know you don't want to hear this, but talk to him about end of life planning, wills, etc. The hospital should have people to help. If stuff goes south, who is going to be making his decisions, what happens to his estate, etc. Dealing with that stuff is a pain in the *** when you want to spend time with him, but it is a whole lot worse after.

I appreciate it.

Dad has everything already going to me. He had a severe atrial flutter  or whatever where the top of his heart was beating over 120 times a minute but the bottom was almost in single digits in 2015. Had to have his heart stopped and started to re-sync it. Before doing that he got his will set.

I have a brother and half brother. Half brother hasn't spoken to him in 3-4 years, so dad said not to bother telling him. Since he hasn't been able to see his grandkids he has disowned him.  And my other brother is dealing with a psycho ex-wife so if it is left to me I can "own" whatever was meant for him to protect it. Sad part is my brother had the idea for the will structure since he knew men get taken to the cleaners here for divorces no matter the circumstance.

31 minutes ago, Dome said:

I'm really surprised honestly, I thought that it has been more of a free for all/every man for himself situation since Steve Irwin died. Glad ya'll are holdin' up. 

You just can't stop, can you?

ugh fine you guys win have minor party MP bob katter in an interview (and this is legitimate) immediately in the aftermath of the legalisation of same sex marriage

@Sugashane

sorry just to hear about all of that mate, hope you’re doing well, or as well as you can be at a time like this. :) 

• Like 2