What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

47 minutes ago, theuntouchable said:

Wifey got caught in a clearance trap. Still awaiting the arrival of the beef.

We had 6.99 choice ribeyes last week and I brought home about 20lbs for the freezer

5.69 is good for assorted t-bones, let alone porterhouse 

6 minutes ago, theuntouchable said:

I think ribeyes are at that price next week if I remember right

If I’m ever able to find porter houses that cheap I’ll buy them whole and cut the filet off myself. Love me a porterhouse, but the filet mignon is pulling ALL the weight there, the New York doesn’t do it for me. I don’t discriminate, but the enthusiasm is lacking once the filet is gone off the plate lol

Filet off the porterhouse > ribeyes > the rest of the porterhouse 

Edited by Dome
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Dome said:

If I’m ever able to find porter houses that cheap I’ll buy them whole and cut the filet off myself. Love me a porterhouse, but the filet mignon is pulling ALL the weight there, the New York doesn’t do it for me. I don’t discriminate, but the enthusiasm is lacking once the filet is gone off the plate lol

Filet off the porterhouse > ribeyes > the rest of the porterhouse 

That tenderloin is usually $22 a lb. I’ll usually get it once it’s close dated cause then it’s usually 40% off

1 hour ago, theuntouchable said:

That tenderloin is usually $22 a lb. I’ll usually get it once it’s close dated cause then it’s usually 40% off

Whoa. That’s a lot. 

I actually prefer beef that’s been aged a little bit as long as I know it has been stored properly.

Nice thing about being a butcher is I get first dibs on the discount meats. I also get to decide when meats are discounted ;)

usually our meat gets reduced based on whatever I want for dinner that night lol 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dome said:

Whoa. That’s a lot. 

I actually prefer beef that’s been aged a little bit as long as I know it has been stored properly.

Nice thing about being a butcher is I get first dibs on the discount meats. I also get to decide when meats are discounted ;)

usually our meat gets reduced based on whatever I want for dinner that night lol 

Explain to me everything you just said about T Bones, but pretend I am TyTy levels of dumb. 

13 minutes ago, Dome said:

Whoa. That’s a lot. 

It is, but when it’s 40% off and you can cut that **** with a fork?? It’s worth it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Explain to me everything you just said about T Bones, but pretend I am TyTy levels of dumb. 

You got your new york strip steak, and your filet mignon. Everyone knows (or should know) those two steaks.

When those two steaks haven't been cut off the primal yet and are still attached to the bone you can cut them both at once and keep them on the bone. That's a T-bone steak.

towards the end of the tbone the steaks you cut get bigger, these are oftern called porterhouse steaks. some places sell tbones and porterhouses as the same, some places will charge more for the porterhouse. technically, it's the same steak.

the porterhouse has a larger portion of the filet, and the new york portion has an extra membrane with a piece of meat that's more tender than the rest of the new york. It makes sense to charge more for these for those reasons, but we are a small store serving a small community, so we just call them all tbones to sell them easier. 

This picture shows it well. the filet is the smaller portion to the left of the bone, the new york steak is on the right.

that chunk of meat surrounded by a thin layer of fat right above the sprig of greenery? that's what makes it a "porterhouse" also notice how much larger the tenderloin is on the porterhouse

t-bone-porterhouse-collage-labeled-630x4

5 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Porterhouse, tbones, strip steaks and tenderloin (filet mignon) come from the same cut, a short loin. It would be the cut of beef just past the ribs. Porterhouse come from the back of the short loin and contain more of the tenderloin. Tbones come from the front of the short loin. 

T-bone

drr_stk_tbn_rc2h_35065_lg_sfw.jpg

porterhouse

drr_stk_pth_rc2h_35066_sfw.jpg

the pieces of beef to the left of the bone would be your tenderloin. The pieces of the right side would be the strip steak. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, theuntouchable said:

It is, but when it’s 40% off and you can cut that **** with a fork?? It’s worth it.

It must be prime or grass fed or just super high quality? Our meat tends to be on the pricier side,  its choice not prime, but we sell whole tenderloins for 11.99 and steaks for 14.99.

When the weather cools down, I could probably open up a side business shipping meats to FFers lol