What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

16 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Okay. We gotta talk about your stuffed burgers. Why are you paying for them and not doing it yourself?

Cause I'm lazy. The bar down the street from me makes a peanut butter jucy lucy style burger that I need to try now. 

Wait, black panther is typically used in the US to a refer to a melanistic cougar (aka puma, mountain lion). There are no recorded instances of black panthers (cougars) in the wild. Jaguars exist in the US only in the extreme southern end of Arizona, and even there they are exceedingly rare. I suppose it's possible that you could say that since neither melanistic jaguars nor menalistic cougars occur in the relavant part of the US, that the phrase could be used to refer to either, but mammalogists treat the term (in the majority of the US, primarily used in the southeast) as referring to a melanistic cougar

Just now, catcheryea said:

and i still contend that raiders is too broad. it would be like calling a team the cats

Raider is a subset of a single species. So not the same at all. 

1 minute ago, iPwn said:

All vikings were raiders. All buccaneers were Raiders.

Raider is an amorphous word. But there were Vikings that didn't raid anything and just settled new areas that were previously uninhabited.

And Buccaneers aside from ist's early usage not being pirates at all, also refers to privateers that were technically acting legally. Raiders, while undefinted, are at least pretty much unanimously considered to be acting unlawfully.

Just now, catcheryea said:

but raiding doesn't allude to anything specific. it's just a general word for an action

Not sure why that matters?

1 hour ago, jfinley88 said:

I thought about starting a devy league on here, but idk if enough people would be interested and it might be a little too late to recruit enough people

6 minutes ago, mse326 said:

And Buccaneers aside from ist's early usage not being pirates at all, also refers to privateers that were technically acting legally.

Well no. The English, French and Dutch licensed their work, but plundering Spanish ships was still illegal under Spanish law. 

Just now, iPwn said:

Well no. The English, French and Dutch licensed their work, but plundering Spanish ships was still illegal under Spanish law. 

Again "Raiders" is amorphous. But I think pretty much everyone would at least say it isn't under color of law. They still acted under color of law even if not every jurisdiction would recognize it.