Week 1 GDT Thread - Chicago (0-0) @ Green Bay (0-0)

Leader

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

It's 100% blocking and the fact that Jones wasn't healthy. It's people making a mountain out of an ant hill regarding the splits. It's also people vastly underrating Jamaal Williams.

Jones got two starts with Aaron and one where Hundley and the offense was a relative unknown. Every start Williams made it was known there was nothing to fear of our pass game.

You're just a Jamaal Williams apologist. 

1 minute ago, Cadmus said:

You're just a Jamaal Williams apologist. 

Yup, that's a back that you can pound into the ground every week and he'll pop back up.

Jones is a 150 carry a year + 50 receptions guy. No way I count on him as a lead dog, too small and injury prone.

Jones is our Dion Lewis and Jamaal is Blount/Ridley/Burkhard. Jamaal isn't going to make all the explosive plays, but he's going to run north and south, get you 4 yards, be adequate in the receiving game, elite in pass pro and most importantly he'll take the body blows. Soften them up with Williams and then run Jones.

Honestly, IMO Jamaal Williams = Edgar Bennett, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them have similar careers here, which is taking nothing away from Williams because Bennett was a heck of a player here and I think Williams will be as well. 

I just think Jones has that Ahman Green element to this game, especially on the ground.  

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Yup, that's a back that you can pound into the ground every week and he'll pop back up.

Jones is a 150 carry a year + 50 receptions guy. No way I count on him as a lead dog, too small and injury prone.

Jones is our Dion Lewis and Jamaal is Blount/Ridley/Burkhard. Jamaal isn't going to make all the explosive plays, but he's going to run north and south, get you 4 yards, be adequate in the receiving game, elite in pass pro and most importantly he'll take the body blows. Soften them up with Williams and then run Jones.

I was joking about the apologist... 

However, Aaron Jones isn't too small, he's clearly over 210 lbs at 5'9". 

Dion Lewis is 195 lbs. 

19 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Burks isn't going to play I bet. Same with Jones.

I want Morrison on early downs and I want Josh Jackson brought in as the "dime backer." Play him in the slot and on the TE with Jaire on Taylor Gabriel. Rotate him around with Tramon and mix up the looks.

Going to be on the DL to stop Howard, if they can do that and get some push I feel real good about our DBs getting their hands on some Trubisky BALLS.

Fixed...

tenor.gif?itemid=8688394

15 hours ago, dtait93 said:

So how is your guys’ run defense looking? Will Chicago run the ball effectively Sunday night? Looking forward to the game and having a healthy Rodgers to watch again this year 

Our run defense is not a problem. It's getting off the field on third down.  Hopefully Pettine's got an answer.

MitchT is going to pull a Jay Cutler and have two TDs for each team.

25 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I think Williams is a bit more than a Blount/Ridley/Burkhard guy. He was quite explosive in the Pittsburgh game last year and can develop into a complete back if he can stay healthy. I think this year will be a breakout year for him; again, if he stays healthy.

47 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

It's hard to win on this forum sometimes lol. I say Fackrell sucks and people are up in arms like I hate the Packers. I say Jones is (going to be) great and people get mad....

Fine, none of our players are bad and none are great.....they are all just average-to-good. 

That's kind of true here lol. But you said Jones turns 2 yard runs into 20. I have secretly been waiting to pretend Jones gets 20~ more yards per carry. C'mon, it's funny.

18 minutes ago, Joe said:

I think Williams is a bit more than a Blount/Ridley/Burkhard guy. He was quite explosive in the Pittsburgh game last year and can develop into a complete back if he can stay healthy. I think this year will be a breakout year for him; again, if he stays healthy.

Burkhead? Burkhead is shifty af. I don't see how he's like those guys.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

I only want to run it 15x per game when the game is in question.  Fine with me if Williams plays a lot of passing downs and has a few runs to keep em honest, but no way Jones should be getting under 10 touches when he's our 2nd or 3rd most explosive player.

11 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I only want to run it 15x per game when the game is in question.  Fine with me if Williams plays a lot of passing downs and has a few runs to keep em honest, but no way Jones should be getting under 10 touches when he's our 2nd or 3rd most explosive player.

10 carries, 3-4 targets in the pass game is what I'd give him. I want him in the playoffs too. I just don't see him as a guy who can handle 15+ touches every week.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Jones is a 150 carry a year + 50 receptions guy. No way I count on him as a lead dog, too small and injury prone. Jones is our Dion Lewis and Jamaal is Blount/Ridley/Burkhard. Jamaal isn't going to make all the explosive plays, but he's going to run north and south, get you 4 yards, be adequate in the receiving game, elite in pass pro and most importantly he'll take the body blows. Soften them up with Williams and then run Jones.

I agree. I'm knocking on wood Jones knees dont become a chronic problem. He had knee injuries in college and lost time twice last year to them.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

10 carries, 3-4 targets in the pass game is what I'd give him. I want him in the playoffs too. I just don't see him as a guy who can handle 15+ touches every week.

Yeah I think that's fine.  I just see him as a feature player of the offense and Williams as a cog.

If there's a game plan that calls for 30 rushing attempts in the first 3 quarters, sure go ahead and fire up Williams.  Otherwise I don't see the need to give him entire drives.

Archived