Special K (and P and LS and the rest of the special teams unit)

Klomp

• 3 weeks later...

The fifth-leading scorer in NFL history has offered to serve as a part-time kicking coach for the Minnesota Vikings, but they apparently want a full-time guy. John Carney was an NFL kicker from 1988-2010 with seven teams and scored 2,062 points while making two Pro Bowls. In recent years, he has served as a consultant for five NFL teams while also running a training center for kickers and punters in Carlsbad, Calif.

“I did offer my services on a part-time basis," Carney said about talking to Minnesota special-teams coordinator Marwan Maalouf. “I do run a business in California, so I couldn’t do a full-time deal … It would be difficult to close (the Carney Training Facility) down for five months."

And what was the Vikings’ response to Carney’s offer? “I think they’re looking for a guy full time," Carney said.

Carney, who also has expertise with punting skills, has worked with Matt Wile, a San Diego native, since he was in high school a decade ago. Carney said Wile looked good earlier this year at his training facility.

https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sports/football/4615532-former-pro-bowler-john-carney-reached-out-vikings-about-kicking-coach-job

Edited by vike daddy

On 28/02/2019 at 6:39 PM, vike daddy said:

“Probably too much,” Zimmer said when asked how much he thinks about the kicking game. “You sit there, and you think about we missed a 27-yard field goal [by Blair Walsh] in Seattle in the playoffs. Then, this happens. Then, you bring a guy in, and he misses an extra point. Then, maybe you’re a little bit more jumpy than maybe you should be, I think. It’s like everything else you might overreact.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/28/mike-zimmer-looking-at-hiring-kicking-coach/

Old but still relevant I feel.

Not a good look that your veteran HC is 'jumpy' on something like this. 

There's a lot I like about zim but there's also plenty of questionable decisions from him at this stage of his tenure.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, the_cote_kid said:

Old but still relevant I feel.

Not a good look that your veteran HC is 'jumpy' on something like this. 

There's a lot I like about zim but there's also plenty of questionable decisions from him at this stage of his tenure.

That's one of the few questionable decisions I feel that he made...but, even in the end, you may not have been here at the time, but people were constantly complaining about how Leslie wasn't making decisions...he'd keep sticking with the same thing, but expecting different results. 

There is a certain balancing act, but I think Zim has done a fine job, in most instances, in showing patience.  Because we know he certainly doesn't have it.  If on occasion, he goes a little too far (which he may have in that instance), especially with a kicker, I think that's acceptable to most people.  It's not like he's considering cutting Cousins after he throws another pick-6.    

And if Bailey goes down, then they already got a guy in-house to pitch in for a week.  :D

It also appears that he was only hired as a part-time consultant, negating Zimmer's earlier comments (I believe it was him) saying that they wanted to hire a full-time guy.  I really didn't think they needed a full-time guy anyway.  As Kaeding lives in Iowa, it's not that much of a drive, so it's a good hire.  

Edited by swede700

• 2 weeks later...

According to Chris Tomasson of the St. Paul Pioneer Press, the Vikings are bringing several punters in Wednesday for workouts, with the possibility of creating some competition for incumbent Matt Wile.

Former Packers punter Justin Vogel is expected to be among the attendees, along with Shane Tripucka, who was in the Vikings’ rookie minicamp last month. Tripucka, an undrafted rookie from Texas A&M, is the grandson of former Broncos quarterback Frank Tripucka.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/10/vikings-to-create-some-punting-competition/

On 1/28/2019 at 6:39 AM, swede700 said:

If you're going to regularly miss 35 yd kicks, you deserve to get cut.  And there's a lot less pressure when you're going from a team that is competing for a division title to one that is competing for the #1 overall pick.  

If you can't handle criticism, then you need to find a different line of work.  I just think it's a deflection to pass blame onto Zimmer for the failures of a kicker to make kicks.  I don't think it's just coincidental that Blair Walsh and Kai Forbath haven't really found steady work since they left.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Daniel Carlson fail eventually too, when the Raiders actually are in a real pressure situation.  

So if your manager starts publicly calling you out, that won't effect your performance? That's your argument?