Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

2 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

For what it's worth, real life ballistae were actually incredibly accurate with substantial force up to over 100 yards. Provided the person aiming it was well-trained. The main appeal of a ballista over other siege was accuracy. It can get less accurate beyond a certain range because then you need to arc it to get that far, so you're adding an extra element to aim, but I can't begin to guess how far away they were from the dragon. But, you could get a few hundred yards of range if you arc it right. Maybe 500 yards or so. Assuming that all the ships were firing at Rhaegal, 3 or 4 hitting isn't unreasonable.

500 yards is awfully close for flying dragons to get to a fleet a ships they don’t see.

I get they want shocking scenes but they’re going about it the lazy way IMO.

Seems to me like the writers first and highest priority is to create "water-cooler" moments for people to talk about and then try to fit the rest of the story around that.  Their synopsis after each show only reinforces that opinion.

Edited by THE DUKE
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Tormund is like me at Mardi Gras.

Me: Woo. Gonna drink and party nonstop all week.

Tormund: Ill follow this little guy forever!

Next morning for both us: "Ugh, my buzz is wearing off. Im goin home."

Hey at least tormund survives through the end though. 

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

We've established dragons exist in this universe. 

We have not established that radar guided sidewinder missiles exist.

That's my beef. Admittedly it's not my biggest with this episode, or even particularly strong. I'm just putting it on the pile.

No "radar guided sidewinder missiles exist....." or have ever been depicted in this GOT saga.
They've established the existence of flying dragons - in a fantastical, fictional universe - and you've apparently accepted them as a viable part of the story. They've also established previous generations of dragons were killed off using earlier versions of this weapon. You have qualms the weapon exhibited "unrealistic" accuracy?  Thats fine, but you're splitting some really, really fine hairs. Its a work of fiction. All of it. You cant accept some of it as acceptable fiction - the most fantastical aspect of it in fact (flying dragons) - yet others as outright unrealistic. Thats a left brain / right brain perspective that can only exist in a lobotomized world.

Edited by Leader
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, BayRaider said:

That sounds like a really weak reason that the writers came up with this season. 

As for your last sentence, incest is a rampant thing in Game of Thrones and the Targaryians have married each other for centuries. Jon and Dany are also clearly madly in love. Them not even suggesting once to each other to marry is a giant plothole. 

It’s not. In the books it’s very clear that the Targaryens got away with incest and many of their customs because they had dragons and bent the realm to their will and that everyone else. It’s still a massive taboo in that universe.

Also Vary’s and Tyrion got it right. She’s never going to marry someone who people will view as more legitimate than her. And for however much she loves Jon, she doesn’t love him enough to not beg him to keep his secret even from his family. 

Its not a plot hole, the show addressed it 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mse326 said:

We should also point out, IIRC, you don't need dragon glass to kill wights, which is who they were going against. You can sort of incapacitate with a normal weapon (you can lop off anything but everything still moves it able) and the best way to ultimately kill them is with fire. While maybe not fully ideal normal weapons weren't that big of a disadvantage against the army they were attacking

Until the men and horses charging out are taken down and then revived by the Night King?

32 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Well, I have no idea still on what they conversation was about, or what his intent really is. :/ 

He's going to be with Cersei. After the conversation with Sansa and Brienne, he feels the need to go try and be with her and his unborn child. He loves her and despite the good he's done, he's also done some awful things. He feels he deserves Cersei and her wickedness and doesn't belong with Brienne because he's not good enough for her.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Until the men and horses charging out are taken down and then revived by the Night King?

I'm sorry they didn't have a perfect strategy for defeating an undead army with ice zombies leading them. I guess everyone should have just run away or hidden. 

The Dothraki thrive in open field battle. That's all they know.

5 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

What is your point? That they couldn't possibly have said we have the best land army ever known let's use it? They knew some would die they didn't think they'd be wiped out like that, and it was reasonable to think that was their best option.

Just now, seminoles1 said:

I'm sorry they didn't have a perfect strategy for defeating an undead army with ice zombies leading them. I guess everyone should have just run away or hidden. 

The Dothraki thrive in open field battle. That's all they know.

So use them as a flanking force when the dead army gets close to the city walls and when they fall, have the dragons pass over and scorch the bodies so that they don't come back. 

Even if all they know is open field battle, they will still be useful on the wall as sword swingers to push the wights back.

It literally would have been better for the Dorthraki to run away rather than handing the Night King a cavalry force he didn't previously have.

So use them as a flanking force when the dead army gets close to the city walls and when they fall, have the dragons pass over and scorch the bodies so that they don't come back. 

Even if all they know is open field battle, they will still be useful on the wall as sword swingers to push the wights back.

It literally would have been better for the Dorthraki to run away rather than handing the Night King a cavalry force he didn't previously have.

Letting an overwhelming force right up to your castle is not a good strategy.

Neither is exposing your dragons without knowing where the White Walkers are since you already know they have the capability of killing them.

2 minutes ago, mse326 said:

What is your point? That they couldn't possibly have said we have the best land army ever known let's use it? They knew some would die they didn't think they'd be wiped out like that, and it was reasonable to think that was their best option.

They thought the Dorthraki were going to win it all? Or incapacitate so many that it's worth handing the Night King the "Best land army ever known"?

The decision was made starting with the premise that the showrunners wanted an eerie opening salvo. Stop pretending it was anything other than that.

Don't forget the dragons couldn't see anything for most of the battle. The second they made any move away from the castle, the Night King brought a storm that almost completely disheveled the dragons.

You can't man the walls with unlimited men; there's only so much space. The walls were already manned.

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

They thought the Dorthraki were going to win it all? Or incapacitate so many that it's worth handing the Night King the "Best land army ever known"?

The decision was made starting with the premise that the showrunners wanted an eerie opening salvo. Stop pretending it was anything other than that.

You do know that when the wights are risen they aren't as strong as the individual that died. Other than Viserys they are pretty empty shells. They weren't handing over the "best"

And they didn't have to win it all. They had to do enough damage so that it wasn't overwhelming numbers approaching the castle.

Your idea of letting this massive army right up to your walls is pretty dumb. And saying then the dragons can burn them doesn't work because there wouldn't be enough room to hit the dead without taking out the living.