Pat McAfee explains why he quit football and why he’s leaving Barstool Sports

Wyld Stallyns

21 minutes ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

I mean, he won executive of the year. Traded for Trent Richardson. Brought in a lot of tier 4 free agents at tier 2 prices. And  constructed a team that continually made it further and further into the playoffs. 

And they hung an AFC Championship Particpant banner in his honor. 

You just come off salty, is all I’m saying. 

You would be too if you had to be a fan of a team NOT GM'd by Ryan Grigson.

Maybe you should be a little more compassionate to those of us less fortunate.

3 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Love McAfee, had no idea how Grigson was directly involved, let alone the catalyst, in Pat walking away from football. That man's infamy grows by the year. 

It's an embarrassment on Barstool's part that they made Pat unhappy to the point he felt he had to cut ties, he was one of their rare good hires. 

I have to imagine their frat bro culture contributes to their high turnover. People rarely have positive things to say about them after they leave.

I have to imagine their frat bro culture contributes to their high turnover. People rarely have positive things to say about them after they leave.

On the flip side, that culture is why they are popular. Its a generally untenable business model but in their case if they tried to sanitize it, they would be scrubbing what has made them popular in the first place.

9 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Pat McAfee is a frat bro, though....like have you ever watched one of his snapchats or barstool segments? He's a total frat bro.

12 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

You would be too if you had to be a fan of a team NOT GM'd by Ryan Grigson.

Maybe you should be a little more compassionate to those of us less fortunate.

Can you imagine Colts fans felt this way about Ryan Grigson?

Image result for get out gif

Incredible!

20 hours ago, Dome said:

I bet walking out felt good 

and this quote was my favorite:

Then McAfee went all in.

"I said, ‘You paid a guy $140 million and you can’t keep  him healthy," McAfee said. "Your offensive line is swiss cheese. He’s blown out his shoulder three times, and you’re worried about this (expletive)?’

No BS there, where is a link to read more ? It's so true though, and I never knew Luck had 3 shoulder surgeries, I thought it was "just" two :o. The colts are one of the worst teams despite what the record says and the punter had enough xD

15 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

That's possible, but it's also totally possible that they hire comedians, which are just a self-destructive group of people in general. 

PMT is solid, but I pass on pretty much the rest of the Barstool content tbh.

3 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Man I love McAfee. And dear god, these things coming out about Grigson are mind boggling. The Colts seem like the biggest circus in the NFL to me, mainly due to their owner.

I gain respect for both Tony Dungy and Peyton Manning, knowing they had to deal with that kind of s-show above them. 

Not a lot, mind you, but... y'know... enough.

5 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

That's possible, but it's also totally possible that they hire comedians, which are just a self-destructive group of people in general. 

The blogs are 95% cringey (I have hard time believing anyone actually reads Barstool anymore), and the social media is 100x worse, but I love some of the personalities they have churned out and that we've got to enjoy via podcasts/radio. Granted I really only listen to PMT regularly, but I find Portnoy in his "El Pres" character to be hilarious, Francis is simply a great comic, Uncle Chaps is a gem, Kate and Kayce are great, loved all the Heartland guys. Lately they're trying to expand and reach beyond the 18-35 male demo and in doing so have tried to fit square pegs into round holes. They will never be an "ESPN" or widely respected sports aggregate, they are a comedy + sports haven that rose to prominence because they were different, and cannot forget that. It is for that reason that there is a clear ceiling for them and their outreach, which is interesting when you think about PMT who I believe have a far higher ceiling but cannot possibly reach their potential at Barstool. I just don't think you can really ever take the Barstool out of PMT, but if Dan Katz or PFT ever leave Barstool (more so Dan since PFT would need to find very specific role) I think they would become huge names in sports.

6 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

The blogs are 95% cringey (I have hard time believing anyone actually reads Barstool anymore), and the social media is 100x worse, but I love some of the personalities they have churned out and that we've got to enjoy via podcasts/radio. Granted I really only listen to PMT regularly, but I find Portnoy in his "El Pres" character to be hilarious, Francis is simply a great comic, Uncle Chaps is a gem, Kate and Kayce are great, loved all the Heartland guys. Lately they're trying to expand and reach beyond the 18-35 male demo and in doing so have tried to fit square pegs into round holes. They will never be an "ESPN" or widely respected sports aggregate, they are a comedy + sports haven that rose to prominence because they were different, and cannot forget that. It is for that reason that there is a clear ceiling for them and their outreach, which is interesting when you think about PMT who I believe have a far higher ceiling but cannot possibly reach their potential at Barstool. I just don't think you can really ever take the Barstool out of PMT, but if Dan Katz or PFT ever leave Barstool (more so Dan since PFT would need to find very specific role) I think they would become huge names in sports.

Yeah Big Cat and PFT should leave. I don't know why they didn't after their association with Barstool basically cost them a show on ESPN. I've heard McAfee is a pretty decent stand up, so he'll have options too.

13 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The only comedian on Barstool's payroll is PFT. The rest of them are jokes. Big Cat and Mcafee are alright guys. With one of the 3 decent guys there leaving, Barstool has even more of their eggs in the PMT basket than they had before, if that was possible. I really hope Big Cat and PFT wise up and do what Mcafee did. They could be so much more successful without Barstool; their association with them is the sole reason why their ESPN show got canceled.

8 hours ago, Starless said:

I gain respect for both Tony Dungy and Peyton Manning, knowing they had to deal with that kind of s-show above them. 

Not a lot, mind you, but... y'know... enough.

Meh. They had Bill Polian who was viewed as one of the best GM’s in the league, who got them one of the most loaded offenses of the 2000’s and got rules changed for them. Grigson wasn’t there until 2012. 

Archived