NFL General Random Thoughts Thread

11sanchez11

Do you guys think size actually helps players get injured less? I wonder if anyone has done a study on this.

I think it might be an example of risk compensation/moral hazard where bigger players might take more risks because of their size and end up getting beat up from it ala Big Ben or Cam Newton. 

In basketball I think it is generally accepted that being a giant is definitely a bad thing for health purposes. But we are talking over 7 feet tall, and no NFL players get that big.

Edited by 11sanchez11

7 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Do you guys think size actually helps players get injured less? I wonder if anyone has done a study on this.

I think it might be an example of risk compensation/moral hazard where bigger players might take more risks because of their size and end up getting beat up from it ala Big Ben or Cam Newton. 

In basketball I think it is generally accepted that being a giant is definitely a bad thing for health purposes. But we are talking over 7 feet tall, and no NFL players get that big.

relative impact force is dispersed through a larger area on larger individuals, more pressure on impact with smaller individuals. 

3 minutes ago, Danger said:

relative impact force is dispersed through a larger area on larger individuals, more pressure on impact with smaller individuals. 

ok but what % of injuries are because of hits vs non-contact? what about the effects of having the additional mass while training/playing has on the body? what about the nimbleness of a smaller person to avoid direct contact more often? or willingness of a giant person to use their force more often?

that last one has more to do w/ the mindset vs. actual pros/cons of being bigger but still

2 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

ok but what % of injuries are because of hits vs non-contact? what about the effects of having the additional mass while training/playing has on the body? what about the nimbleness of a smaller person to avoid direct contact more often? or willingness of a giant person to use their force more often?

that last one has more to do w/ the mindset vs. actual pros/cons of being bigger but still

I mean, lets think of it like car crashes. When a prius crashes into a F250, who's more likely to walk away from that in one piece? I mean obviously there comes a point where additional mass does lead to more injuries in non contact but a certain degree of muscle does help improve stability and prevent injuries in turn.