2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

19 hours ago, Joe said:

I really don't like our prospects at Safety at the moment. Only Taylor Rapp sticks out as I doubt we go with another 'Bama product that probably won't be on the board with either pick. We have a bounty of EDGE guys this year so that's not too much of a concern, same with OL depth. It's the DL I'm a bit concerned about as we've got Clark and Daniels with a bunch of rotational guys that all could be upgraded in some way shape or fashion. Personally, if we finished 8-8 with say the 17th pick and Nawlin's winds up with the 25th pick. I'd do the following at this point:

17: Raekwon Davis, DL, 'Bama

25: Taylor Rapp, S, Washington

50: Terrell Lewis, EDGE, 'Bama

Honestly, I have no real desire to add any Alabama players.  They always seem to be better college players than pro players.

On 10/31/2018 at 11:42 AM, CWood21 said:

Honestly, I have no real desire to add any Alabama players.  They always seem to be better college players than pro players.

Agree.  They are so well coached at the college level they have little upside left to expose.

Safety, right now, should be filled by FA.  Stick to the biggies and edge early .

17- Brian Burns  Florida State

25- Jerry Tillery  Notre Dame

50- Jaylon Ferguson  La Tech

2 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

Agree.  They are so well coached at the college level they have little upside left to expose.

To an extent, I'd agree.  But they seem to underperform.  And that's coming from someone who liked quite a few in past years (Da'Ron Payne, Marlon Humphrey, etc.).  Aside from Julio Jones, I'm having a hard time finding any studs that come from Alabama.

So after this weekend I think we would be picking at these spots.

14 - Zach Allen, DE/DT, BC - Love him as a high motor guy and better athleticism than you would think.  Very good run defender and good pass rusher.  Could slide inside on passing downs.

30(guessing where NO ends up) - Cody Ford, OG, OK - If he is there I would say run the pick up.  Would be an immediate improvement on the inside. Big big dude that can move.

46 - Brian Burns, Edge, FSU - More of a pure pass rusher, he could play on passing downs while he beefs up.

If Ford isn't there at 30, I'd be all for going Edge at 30(Sweat/Polite) or a more pure DT like Tillery and looking at someone like Chris Lindstrom in the 2nd.  

Although Allen, Tillery, and then an edge guy like Ferguson, Winovich, Burns, Jackson, etc in the 2nd would not be bad at all.  I wouldn't complain if we went front 7 for the first 3 picks.  

2 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

So after this weekend I think we would be picking at these spots.

14 - Zach Allen, DE/DT, BC - Love him as a high motor guy and better athleticism than you would think.  Very good run defender and good pass rusher.  Could slide inside on passing downs.

30(guessing where NO ends up) - Cody Ford, OG, OK - If he is there I would say run the pick up.  Would be an immediate improvement on the inside. Big big dude that can move.

46 - Brian Burns, Edge, FSU - More of a pure pass rusher, he could play on passing downs while he beefs up.

If Ford isn't there at 30, I'd be all for going Edge at 30(Sweat/Polite) or a more pure DT like Tillery and looking at someone like Chris Lindstrom in the 2nd.  

Although Allen, Tillery, and then an edge guy like Ferguson, Winovich, Burns, Jackson, etc in the 2nd would not be bad at all.  I wouldn't complain if we went front 7 for the first 3 picks.  

So...I'm not going to pretend to know anything about the draft prospects, but do you really think a first round pick at guard is good value?

I'm all for getting a better line out there, but if I'm taking a lineman in round one, he needs to be a tackle.  Not a tackle to convert to guard, but a tackle to play tackle.

If a guard is wanted and/or needed (and I think at least one is), I'd recommend third round or later.  Those two 4'th round picks look like great spots to target guards.

I more like the idea of edge/edge with our first two picks.  

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

So...I'm not going to pretend to know anything about the draft prospects, but do you really think a first round pick at guard is good value?

I'm all for getting a better line out there, but if I'm taking a lineman in round one, he needs to be a tackle.  Not a tackle to convert to guard, but a tackle to play tackle.

If a guard is wanted and/or needed (and I think at least one is), I'd recommend third round or later.  Those two 4'th round picks look like great spots to target guards.

I more like the idea of edge/edge with our first two picks.  

At the end of the first, yes I do.  Especially because I really like him as a prospect.  

I would agree with the first 1st rounder, except for maybe a Nelson-type prospect.  But with the second 1st, I think the value is there.  Hoping for a hit like DeCastro later in the 1st, but I don't want to spend a high first on a Brandon Scherff, no matter how good he may be rated.  

Getting a starting OG in the 3rd or later is obviously preferable, but the odds of hitting that late drop drastically.  I would still like to add another OG later in the draft as well.

As long as we go with the trenches early and often, I will be pleased.

On 11/4/2018 at 10:27 PM, HighCalebR said:

Quinnen Williams is something else and a Pettine wet dream.

So true. That's not gonna happen, unfortunately! A lot of people talk about Oliver / Bosa but Williams needs to be right there in that discussion.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

To an extent, I'd agree.  But they seem to underperform.  And that's coming from someone who liked quite a few in past years (Da'Ron Payne, Marlon Humphrey, etc.).  Aside from Julio Jones, I'm having a hard time finding any studs that come from Alabama.

Ingram and Mosley are the other names that come to mind. Neither are game changers, but hard to call either of them anything other than a hit. Certainly though, 3 players versus the number drafted feels limited. 

9 minutes ago, chillparsi1 said:

Ingram and Mosley are the other names that come to mind. Neither are game changers, but hard to call either of them anything other than a hit. Certainly though, 3 players versus the number drafted feels limited. 

Id say Landon Collins is close to one of the best current Alabama players in the NFL.

I still have the "let's draft yet another DL early and watch him bust" hangover. I know I should get over it, but I can't. Especially for the 3-4 defense. Would love to get Wilkerson on a 3 year deal because he would have to be dirt cheap at this point. I know that's not enough, but with Clark and Daniels, do you need another stud at that position with so many other holes to fill ? Technically, we should cut Perry, and with Matthews gone, the cupboard is bare. The cupboard is already bare at Safety, and depending on Bulaga, we are in trouble there too.

I think I'm still going with Edge, OT, S at this point

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Landon Collins,  Jonathan Allen, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Marcell Dareus, Reuben Foster, Dont'a Hightower, OJ Howard, Eddie Jackson, CJ Mosley, Jarran Reed,  Calvin Ridley.

Looking at a list and I'm sure I still missed some. I'm not steering away from talent because they are from Alabama. Their recent draftees have looked better then in the past.

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Derrick Thomas bro

Archived