2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

11 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I’m in correct I remember seeing Ferrell as like a top 5 lock last year before returning to school, now not a first? Don’t get it. 

Partially prospect fatigue, but also partially the fact that other EDGE guys leaped over him with better years and likely better measurables.

19 hours ago, snackattack said:

I would totally agree with this if their rule included other charges as well. If its just assault then it makes no sense

Well there is a plain line between hurting yourself and hurting others. Does the NFL hold back all charges that include hurting others?

4 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Then why dig up a simple HS fight at Mickey D's that literally no one other than scouts knew about in the case of Ferguson? I get it for a well publicized case like Simmons or Mixon. No one knew or cared about Ferguson. The NFL brought to light something minor and insignificant. 

I agree it’s petty crap right now. But the NFL has figured out that NFL players exhibiting violence off the field is or can be very, very bad. Chris Benoit is the worst end. 

3 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

I’m in correct I remember seeing Ferrell as like a top 5 lock last year before returning to school, now not a first? Don’t get it. 

The pass rush skills will translate. He’s different than what we have which is a good thing.

10 hours ago, rcon14 said:

I don't know about this. Ferrell is probably going to test pretty poorly. And there's already a list of guys we KNOW are going to go before him (barring something unforeseen like an injury/legal issue): Bosa, Allen, and Williams. That's the clear first tier imo. The next tier includes about 15 guys and Ferrell is probably going to test worse than pretty much all of them (non-QBs of course).

Positional value is going to kick him up the board.  EDGE prospects tend to float up the board, especially on Day 1.

9 hours ago, rcon14 said:

Partially prospect fatigue, but also partially the fact that other EDGE guys leaped over him with better years and likely better measurables.

Honestly, outside of Nick Bosa (who was already ahead of him) and Josh Allen, I don't think any of the EDGE guys have really separated themselves.  It's really just a matter of preference.  There will be teams who prefer the twitchy types (Polite and Burns) and those that prefer the stouter types (Ferrell and Sweat).

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Honestly, outside of Nick Bosa (who was already ahead of him) and Josh Allen, I don't think any of the EDGE guys have really separated themselves.  It's really just a matter of preference.  There will be teams who prefer the twitchy types (Polite and Burns) and those that prefer the stouter types (Ferrell and Sweat).

Personally and im probably in the minority with this and thats okay. I like Allen over Bosa. 

On 2/16/2019 at 12:47 PM, packfanfb said:

Only one for me would be Ferrell but hes not a top-10 guy, just nothing special about him. I'd say he's an 18-25 guy.

I disagree about "nothing special".  Great frame.  Unreal hand fighting skills.  Toughness for days.  Those are elite qualities, but they aren't the "flashy" elite qualities.  Ferrell is a power player and there is a role for him on most any defense.  He's not gonna get 15 sacks, but I'd bet he gets 7-9 most every year.  And he will be a force against the run.  Is it worth #12 for that?  To me, it is.  

Wilkens, too, is a first round kid.  I like him at #12.  Maybe even more than Ferrell.  He's got a great inside game of power, speed. 

Tough to evaluate those Clemson kids as that defense was just amazing.  So much talent everywhere that they seemed to cave most every pocket right away and you can't really tell who collapsed it, as it was a team effort.

Archived