Let the Mayfield Mayhem Begin

Dawgpoun8017

18 minutes ago, mistakey said:

Sports players have long used their status to evoke political sentiment - not just a recent thing

I get that, and players are free to express themselves.

I just don’t know if that has to be the primary narrative as much as it is from the perspective of the sports media.

Homosexuality in men’s sports, racial inequality, gender issues, etc are all worthwhile topics, and things that undoubtedly should be discussed, but at what point can a fan just expect a sports network to limit that discussion and get back to what everyone tuned in to see in the first place?

I mean, philosophically I tend to agree with most of their points/agenda and it drives me nuts, I couldn’t imagine if I didn’t and it was constantly being thrown in my face when all I wanted was to catch some highlights or zone out in front of a TV for a half hour after work or while I’m having my morning coffee.

For years I woke up, turned on sportscenter and drank my coffee for a half hour or so.  Now?  Hell no.  Oh you want to discuss racial inequality between white and African American coaching candidates?  Damn sportscenter, can I have some coffee and rock a deuce before we take a deep dive here ffs?  Can I wake up before I “get woke”?

I get your point and all, but I think that somethings obviously gone awry philosophically when pretty much all of us, a group a hardcore sports fans who grew up on their shows, now think it’s awful programming.  We’re their target audience and maybe I watch a YouTube clip every day or two of their programs, that’s it. 

They can keep doing their thing, I’ll keep coming here and posting gifs of jiggly women and making penis jokes and keeping things light and not having to discuss politics like every other place in the world.

tl;dr.... I’m done, get off muh lawn.

27 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

For years I woke up, turned on sportscenter and drank my coffee for a half hour or so.  Now?  Hell no.  Oh you want to discuss racial inequality between white and African American coaching candidates?  Damn sportscenter, can I have some coffee and rock a deuce before we take a deep dive here ffs?  Can I wake up before I “get woke”?

How the heck old are you man? Sportscenter hasn't been good since I've been old enough to want to drink coffee.

Great post letsgocharacter. 

I appreciated the kneeling thing, and I like talking about race/religion/politics when it is appropriate/for a reasonable extent of time, it sucks when it becomes the driving narrative of sports for extended periods of time, it weakens, not strengthens the platform athletes have. 

I listen to some Colin Cowherd and Skip and Shape, they are both on FS1 and discuss sports more than r/r/p. 

7 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I get that, and players are free to express themselves.

I just don’t know if that has to be the primary narrative as much as it is from the perspective of the sports media.

Homosexuality in men’s sports, racial inequality, gender issues, etc are all worthwhile topics, and things that undoubtedly should be discussed, but at what point can a fan just expect a sports network to limit that discussion and get back to what everyone tuned in to see in the first place?

I mean, philosophically I tend to agree with most of their points/agenda and it drives me nuts, I couldn’t imagine if I didn’t and it was constantly being thrown in my face when all I wanted was to catch some highlights or zone out in front of a TV for a half hour after work or while I’m having my morning coffee.

I get your point and all, but I think that somethings obviously gone awry philosophically when pretty much all of us, a group a hardcore sports fans who grew up on their shows, now think it’s awful programming.  We’re their target audience and maybe I watch a YouTube clip every day or two of their programs, that’s it. 

They can keep doing their thing, I’ll keep coming here and posting gifs of jiggly women and making penis jokes and keeping things light and not having to discuss politics like every other place in the world.

tl;dr.... I’m done, get off muh lawn.

how often does this actually happen? sure, it happens, but jemele hill was fired from espn for her comments on politics.  i have a feeling you're exaggerating a little bit here.  i manage to watch PTI at the airport, sunday morning football shows, and actual sports programmming and seem to avoid it.  i just dont watch the HOT/FIRST TAEK sht which is bad regardless.  even sportscenter isnt abysmal.  (also, racial inequality between head coaches is a real thing regardless if we want to wake up before we get woke).  and think about it- are we actually their target audience?
we're posting on an internet forum to talk about this stuff.  we get our scores from their website and or pro football reference (if you're smart).  were opinionated fans.  do we really need to listen to the opinion shows on ESPN? do we even need to watch sportscenter?
thats boomer sht man.  they love the outrage politics whether its on fox or msnbc.  

7 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Great post letsgocharacter. 

I appreciated the kneeling thing, and I like talking about race/religion/politics when it is appropriate/for a reasonable extent of time, it sucks when it becomes the driving narrative of sports for extended periods of time, it weakens, not strengthens the platform athletes have. 

I listen to some Colin Cowherd and Skip and Shape, they are both on FS1 and discuss sports more than r/r/p. 

recently in america a black security guard was shot and murdered by police after killing a bad guy with a gun and saving lives.  still appropriate.

This is all I’ll say about it:

Is it privileged when you’re kept on after 3-31/fires after 3-36-1? Can anyone really accuse the Browns of anything remotely racist after hiring Ray Farmer, Sashi, and Hue? Garbage hot takes like this from the joke that has become ESPN are detrimental to legitimate issues and cases. Hue Jackson is seriously the hill you want to die on? Screamin A is the worst.

13 minutes ago, mistakey said:

how often does this actually happen? sure, it happens, but jemele hill was fired from espn for her comments on politics. 

As was Schillling, which is kind of my point, the staff/network whoever can’t manage to shut up about it.

i have a feeling you're exaggerating a little bit here.  i manage to watch PTI at the airport, sunday morning football shows, and actual sports programmming and seem to avoid it. 

Im busy when PTI is on, but yeah, they used to be better about it.

i just dont watch the HOT/FIRST TAEK sht which is bad regardless. 

Youre right theyre the worst.

even sportscenter isnt abysmal.  (also, racial inequality between head coaches is a real thing regardless if we want to wake up before we get woke). 

I get that, but save it for the opinion shows, in my opinion. Sportscenter should, IMO, be highlights and news (not Twitter beefs, TMZ nonsense, etc either, that ain’t news) not garbage and opinions, save that for Screamin’ A.

and think about it- are we actually their target audience?

The 18-24, 24-35, and 35-54 year old male sports fans?  I mean, yeah, or at least we should be.  If you’re producing a sports program and I’m not your target audience, you’re doing it wrong. 

we're posting on an internet forum to talk about this stuff.  we get our scores from their website and or pro football reference (if you're smart).  were opinionated fans.  do we really need to listen to the opinion shows on ESPN? do we even need to watch sportscenter?

Absolutely!  As you pointed out, we CRAVE well formed opinions, information and analysis.  Just because they crap the bed with their format and content doesn’t mean they have to.  Many of us use OTHER resources as opposed to their site, we listen to podcasts, read articles from other sites, etc., all of which are essentially their competitors. If they simply did better they’d have a larger market share, like they once did.

thats boomer sht man.  they love the outrage politics whether its on fox or msnbc.  

I get that, and I understand that there’s a bit of a need for that to some degee, but it crept into everything they do (or at least it had the last time I watched it).  Even their hiring imo.  They want the hot takey, provocative personalities as opposed to the well informed people who have measured, reserved stances. 

It’s just a tired format imo.  

Archived