Let the Mayfield Mayhem Begin

Dawgpoun8017

You guys that are content with mediocrity just listen to this guy. We need the right coach to get this guy beyond where he is right now. We can’t just settle for the status quo. Some of you cats need to look beyond just being good. I want to be great. 

3 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

You guys that are content with mediocrity just listen to this guy. We need the right coach to get this guy beyond where he is right now. We can’t just settle for the status quo. Some of you cats need to look beyond just being good. I want to be great. 

But what says the next guy they bring in will bring that greatness? We have often thought over the years we were going to get it but didn't turn out that way. What says that with Greg it will only have mediocrity and it cannot be more? 

Personal opinions are nice and all but there is no guarantee of anything, only what you think might be. I am more than willing to see just how far we can improve with what we have right now.  The next crew of "leadership" could easily take us back down the other direction.

8 hours ago, pscottdai said:

But what says the next guy they bring in will bring that greatness? We have often thought over the years we were going to get it but didn't turn out that way. What says that with Greg it will only have mediocrity and it cannot be more? 

Personal opinions are nice and all but there is no guarantee of anything, only what you think might be. I am more than willing to see just how far we can improve with what we have right now.  The next crew of "leadership" could easily take us back down the other direction.

Because he doesn’t have a great track record as head coach. I don’t recall any buffalo people being sad when he was fired and I don’t recall him being good there. So far he is 1-2 vs above .500 teams. We got whooped by two of them and barely squeaked the win out of a severely depleted Denver. The wins he got are against garbage. Another garbage team this week and a decent team in two weeks. That doesn’t inspire confidence in me. I would much rather go through the interview and hire the best out there. Who cares about keeping 8 weeks worth of continuity when we’ll have 10 plus more years of Mayfield?  If we can get the right coach and Dorsey keeps up his talent acquisitions we could be looking at a picksburg/New England type run. 

Again I think most are being blinded by a tiny bit of success. Some would be content with 9-7 type years just because it’s better than the crap we’ve seen since ‘99. Trust me being merely good gets just as old if not worse. At least with being garbage you have the excitement of the draft. Being middle of the pack or slightly above is bad. 

22 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

Because he doesn’t have a great track record as head coach. I don’t recall any buffalo people being sad when he was fired and I don’t recall him being good there. So far he is 1-2 vs above .500 teams. We got whooped by two of them and barely squeaked the win out of a severely depleted Denver. The wins he got are against garbage. Another garbage team this week and a decent team in two weeks. That doesn’t inspire confidence in me. I would much rather go through the interview and hire the best out there. Who cares about keeping 8 weeks worth of continuity when we’ll have 10 plus more years of Mayfield?  If we can get the right coach and Dorsey keeps up his talent acquisitions we could be looking at a picksburg/New England type run. 

Again I think most are being blinded by a tiny bit of success. Some would be content with 9-7 type years just because it’s better than the crap we’ve seen since ‘99. Trust me being merely good gets just as old if not worse. At least with being garbage you have the excitement of the draft. Being middle of the pack or slightly above is bad. 

This is where I am.  I admire what Gregggg and Kitchens have done, but I feel like there are MANY coaching staffs out there that can win with our roster.  If Gregg Williams is the best guy out there, then great, but I doubt it.  I definitely don't want us to settle for pretty good because we're afraid the next guys might be bad.  Making decisions based on fear is bad business.  At this point, I trust Buddy Boy to set us up for championships.

We do have a rookie QB, RB, WR, CB, second year S, TE, WR, DE, DT playing a significant amount of time. I would assume they would grow and perform better down the road. I'm all for getting the best coaches possible but I'm also not just tossing aside going 4-2 against 6 hopeful playoff teams at the time. The Falcons were 4-4 on a 3 game winning streak (against weak opponents) when we played them. We know about the Chiefs and Texans. The Bengals were 5-5 (2nd in the division I believe) but heading downward. The Broncos were 6-7 but won 3 of 4 including against the Steelers.

I'd consider Williams. Doesn't mean I'd hire him, but I think you have to consider him. I'm glad that decision is above my paygrade.

6 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

I am not saying he is the answer or who we should keep. What I am saying is that the grass is always greener and if we do switch up and then regress because the next crew that was "great" actually turns out to suck then we screwed ourselves. As Browns fans, IMO,  we have a terrible habit of always wanting to move away from things that are "mediocre" far too quickly to our detriment. There have been times we held on to trash for too long (Hue for example) but have also let many others go that turned out to be much better than mediocre or trash.

You said it yourself....we have 10 years of Baker so what hurts us in seeing if the team continues improving under Greg? If not, boot him after next year.

19 minutes ago, pscottdai said:

I am not saying he is the answer or who we should keep. What I am saying is that the grass is always greener and if we do switch up and then regress because the next crew that was "great" actually turns out to suck then we screwed ourselves. As Browns fans, IMO,  we have a terrible habit of always wanting to move away from things that are "mediocre" far too quickly to our detriment. There have been times we held on to trash for too long (Hue for example) but have also let many others go that turned out to be much better than mediocre or trash.

You said it yourself....we have 10 years of Baker so what hurts us in seeing if the team continues improving under Greg? If not, boot him after next year.

I guess my stance is because I’m old enough to have watch Williams as a head coach. He wasn’t that good in Buffalo and I haven’t seen much difference in him now. If he’s changed and takes us to multiple championships I’ll definitely eat my words 😉

I also disagree we’ve gotten rid of any coach too early. We’ve hired nothing but crap in our past. But I do trust Dorsey with the hire, much more than myself. So if retains Williams than he’s the guy I’ll root for. 

20 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

I guess my stance is because I’m old enough to have watch Williams as a head coach. He wasn’t that good in Buffalo and I haven’t seen much difference in him now. If he’s changed and takes us to multiple championships I’ll definitely eat my words 😉

I also disagree we’ve gotten rid of any coach too early. We’ve hired nothing but crap in our past. But I do trust Dorsey with the hire, much more than myself. So if retains Williams than he’s the guy I’ll root for. 

Wasn't referring to strictly coaches but members of the organization overall (was thinking more various players that we let go that went on to do really well) and being 50 am old enough to have seen the same as you. Guess I am just willing to see what he could do with another year....I mean if he doesn't let us continue to improve then what is one more wasted year after all of these years of sucking ? :)

But yes, am good with what Dorsey decides until he proves me wrong for trusting him.

3 hours ago, pscottdai said:

Wasn't referring to strictly coaches but members of the organization overall (was thinking more various players that we let go that went on to do really well) and being 50 am old enough to have seen the same as you. Guess I am just willing to see what he could do with another year....I mean if he doesn't let us continue to improve then what is one more wasted year after all of these years of sucking ? :)

But yes, am good with what Dorsey decides until he proves me wrong for trusting him.

Yeah that’s fair. I did say in another thread if you don’t fall in love with one of these coaching candidates I’d just roll with Williams for another year and hopefully someone more bettererer ( most betterest?) comes along. I honestly can’t see greggg agreeing with that though. But I can see many candidates being a better option than him. 

16 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

The only one, IMO, we got rid of too early, was Chud.

He made good clock management calls, he was aggressive on when to go for it but knew when to be conservative.  He didn't meddle with the OC and DC that he hired that were experienced.  I thought we jumped from him WAY too early.  He has been my favorite Head Coach since we have returned.

That being said I get your point, we haven't really hired overly well...

Archived