Around the NFL II - Even NFLier

y2lamanaki

11 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

Yeah something to keep in eye on. Not going to bash it but you can see the Cardinals wanted to copy McVay and Shanahan with youth creative offensives. 

I like the move. I just hope it doesn't work out for the Cardinals for the 49ers sake. 

4 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

LaFluer in Green Bay, and now Kingsbury in Arizona. Nagy in Chicago, Shanahan in San Francisco, and McVay in LA. A lot of offensive young bucks around. 

The NFL is such a copycat league, it's rediclous. Everyone looking for the next offensive guru. Thing is there are only a few true offensive guys who transcend. Most of these guys will flame out when it's all said and done. Guys like Andy Reid and Sean Payton have stood the test of time. Everyone is not meant to be a HC. 

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

The NFL is such a copycat league, it's rediclous. Everyone looking for the next offensive guru. Thing is there are only a few true offensive guys who transcend. Most of these guys will flame out when it's all said and done. Guys like Andy Reid and Sean Payton have stood the test of time. Everyone is not meant to be a HC. 

True. But you gotta try.

2 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

I'm not sure the important thing is to have an offensive mind that transcends, though. Sure it's nice to have the next great offense, but the key is to have stability on offense. Other teams can't poach your OC if your OC is  also your HC. In the game of football, it's the offense that usually sets the tone, and the defense is reactionary. If that tone is taken away from you, if your impact is diminished, by some other team taking your offense away, you're in trouble. You get a new guy who comes in with a new offense, new concepts, a new language... just look at our carousel of OCs between 2005 and 2011. There was a graphic on the last Titans game of the season about Blaine Gabbert and how he has had a new OC every single year of his career. I'm not saying that's what caused Blaine to suck... maybe Blaine sucking has caused him to go from team to team and get new OCs every year, because only dysfunctional teams will sign Blaine at this point. But the point remain that stability on offense is important for all teams. Maybe in the 60s and 70s, they all used a very similar language, and the concepts were simple enough, and what mattered more was to have a defensive coach who could outthink his opponents. And maybe throw a wrinkle on defense that will surprise the other team. The guy who invented the DB blitz probably stunned a few opponents. But nowadays, we pretty much know what defenses can do and the best defenses are better than others by making fewer mistakes, and forcing offenses to make mistakes. It's harder to scheme away your shortcomings, because if you have an Akhello Witherspoon who's struggling in the secondary, offenses will exploit it. We see more offenses that compete with subpar talent (look at our offense this year) than defenses who are top 15 with a bunch of no names coming off the practice squad. That's because it's the offense that dictates and the defense that reacts. So that's why it now makes sense to have an offensive minded head coach. You're greatest attribute as an offensive minded head coach then becomes your ability to get a great defensive coaching staff. And so far, that seems to be the difference between Shanahan and McVay. That a ridiculous difference in roster quality, I'll give you that.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

I'm not sure the important thing is to have an offensive mind that transcends, though. Sure it's nice to have the next great offense, but the key is to have stability on offense. Other teams can't poach your OC if your OC is  also your HC. In the game of football, it's the offense that usually sets the tone, and the defense is reactionary. If that tone is taken away from you, if your impact is diminished, by some other team taking your offense away, you're in trouble. You get a new guy who comes in with a new offense, new concepts, a new language... just look at our carousel of OCs between 2005 and 2011. There was a graphic on the last Titans game of the season about Blaine Gabbert and how he has had a new OC every single year of his career. I'm not saying that's what caused Blaine to suck... maybe Blaine sucking has caused him to go from team to team and get new OCs every year, because only dysfunctional teams will sign Blaine at this point. But the point remain that stability on offense is important for all teams. Maybe in the 60s and 70s, they all used a very similar language, and the concepts were simple enough, and what mattered more was to have a defensive coach who could outthink his opponents. And maybe throw a wrinkle on defense that will surprise the other team. The guy who invented the DB blitz probably stunned a few opponents. But nowadays, we pretty much know what defenses can do and the best defenses are better than others by making fewer mistakes, and forcing offenses to make mistakes. It's harder to scheme away your shortcomings, because if you have an Akhello Witherspoon who's struggling in the secondary, offenses will exploit it. We see more offenses that compete with subpar talent (look at our offense this year) than defenses who are top 15 with a bunch of no names coming off the practice squad. That's because it's the offense that dictates and the defense that reacts. So that's why it now makes sense to have an offensive minded head coach. You're greatest attribute as an offensive minded head coach then becomes your ability to get a great defensive coaching staff. And so far, that seems to be the difference between Shanahan and McVay. That a ridiculous difference in roster quality, I'll give you that.

While i agree with that thinking i think at this point teams are too concerned grabbing a offensive mind that it almost seems like thats the only qualification they look for. When you have a HC you have to have a good plan for what the other side of the ball will look like staff wise. And when that coordinator gets hired away have someone in place to takeover for him so you can keep a lot of the same things in place and don't have a situation like the Falcons or Vikings where after they lost their OC they went with someone on the outside when they had LaFleur and Stefanski on the staff already to take over.

2 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

True. But you gotta try.

Yup. And I think you're almost at the point where you have to take offensive minded coaches as head coaches. If not, and your offenses succeed, you're losing those guys a year or two down the road. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yes!!!!!!!! Finally he gets his chance. 

Very happy for Vic. Well deserved after all this time. With Kubiak as his OC, and unlikely to get poached (assuming he is the OC), then I like the hiring of a defensive guy like Fangio a little more. 

• Like 2