Around the NFL II - Even NFLier

y2lamanaki

So I was talking to a Rams fan of mine and we were debating about the Rams SB window and I was jabbing him a bit, telling him their window has officially closed after their SB loss. Now I said that jokingly but in all honesty, I mentioned to him that teams that lose the SB who are not the Pats, generally don't make it back to the big game for quite some time. And that has been the case for the last 20 years or so. I understand that they have a good young coach, young stars like Donald and Gurley and very good team. But history has shown us that it's very hard, especially from the NFC to maintain that foothold as one of the dominant teams on a yearly basis. There are teams that have been consistent playoff teams and contenders (Saints, Seahawks, Packers) over a extended period but it's extremely hard to get back to the SB once you've lost it. His argument is that no other team that has lost a SB has had the nucleus of young talent and a young offensive mastermind of a HC that they have and that McVay will figure it out and get back to the SB either next year or within the next 2 years. I'm curious as to what you guys believe. I personally believe Rams will be one of the favorites to represent the NFC next year but I just don't see them getting back. Teams always take a step back after a SB loss while those around them adjust and improve.

7 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

So I was talking to a Rams fan of mine and we were debating about the Rams SB window and I was jabbing him a bit, telling him their window has officially closed after their SB loss. Now I said that jokingly but in all honesty, I mentioned to him that teams that lose the SB who are not the Pats, generally don't make it back to the big game for quite some time. And that has been the case for the last 20 years or so. I understand that they have a good young coach, young stars like Donald and Gurley and very good team. But history has shown us that it's very hard, especially from the NFC to maintain that foothold as one of the dominant teams on a yearly basis. There are teams that have been consistent playoff teams and contenders (Saints, Seahawks, Packers) over a extended period but it's extremely hard to get back to the SB once you've lost it. His argument is that no other team that has lost a SB has had the nucleus of young talent and a young offensive mastermind of a HC that they have and that McVay will figure it out and get back to the SB either next year or within the next 2 years. I'm curious as to what you guys believe. I personally believe Rams will be one of the favorites to represent the NFC next year but I just don't see them getting back. Teams always take a step back after a SB loss while those around them adjust and improve.

I always thought their window closes once Goff signs a big 30+ million a year deal. McVay is a great coach so far, but is he really elite? He's an offensive mastermind who got his team to score 3 points in the Superbowl... next year is going to be tough, I feel. 2020 is probably their best chance, because after that, they'll be paying Goff, and they'll have to cut salaries elsewhere. I honestly don't know how they can get better next year, considering they traded their draft this year for a one shot chance at a superbowl. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I guess I'm not sure what there additions and subtractions are... Losing Gurley in the playoffs hurt them, losing Kupp at the end of the season REALLY hurt them. If Kupp returns to  form they should be fine.

4 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

I guess I'm not sure what there additions and subtractions are... Losing Gurley in the playoffs hurt them, losing Kupp at the end of the season REALLY hurt them. If Kupp returns to  form they should be fine.

Meh I don't think having Kupp on the field helps them beat the Pats. And I'm not sure how bad Gurley was injured and how it affective his usuage. I think most of that falls on McVay for abandoning the run game at times. 

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

Meh I don't think having Kupp on the field helps them beat the Pats. And I'm not sure how bad Gurley was injured and how it affective his usuage. I think most of that falls on McVay for abandoning the run game at times. 

Gurley looked fine to me so idk what they were doing there. I read "wear and tear" but this is the big game use your BEST player if he's able to be on the field. 

I agree. Having kupp on the field helps but man did Goff look bad so maybe in the end it wouldn't of matter.

8 minutes ago, N4L said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/gets-antonio-brown-peter-king-124529509.html

Peter King Lists 5 teams that he thinks might end up with Antonio brown, and doesn't list the niners. He adds us as a footnote saying he doesn't see it unless Jerry Rice is the GM. Hes pretty connected with our team, so it is seeming less and less likely that we land brown

Yeah, I saw that as well. We are still the favorites to get him from Vegas odds, but I think the domestic dispute is scaring the team off. 

On to OBJ I guess.................

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

The rams third down percentage was 10 percentage points higher when Kupp was on the field, I know at the time he was injured at least in fantasy, he was either the top receiver in the league (PPR) or 2nd. I can't remember if it was him or Theilen. Anyway, the offense completely changed once he was hurt, and not for the better. The rams were in the super bowl until late, if they extend a drive or two and get a lead then NE can't run the clock out on them, they might have to go for some deeper passes get sacked. IMO, Kupp not being available dramatically changed the super bowl. But I was also more talking about next year than this one. Also, zero chance in my mind that Gurley wasn't hobbled, if you don't give a legit MVP candidate more than 10 touches in the last two (and most important) games of the season, there is no way you are an offensive guru. He is, Gurley was hurt. Thats my take, you are free to feel otherwise of course.

2 hours ago, N4L said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/gets-antonio-brown-peter-king-124529509.html

Peter King Lists 5 teams that he thinks might end up with Antonio brown, and doesn't list the niners. He adds us as a footnote saying he doesn't see it unless Jerry Rice is the GM. Hes pretty connected with our team, so it is seeming less and less likely that we land brown

I said this from the beginning. Brown wants targets and a steady workload. The way Shanny's offense is structured, the open man gets the ball. I don't see Shanny ever force-feeding any WR/TE ever. Even when he had Julio Jones, he got his within the framework of the offense. AB has never struck me as the type that would be comfortable with not seeing a steady diet of targets. I just never saw him meshing well with this offense and it's dynamics. That and I didn't see Lynch giving up the draft capital required to get him, though I feel it won't be as steep as I initially thought. 

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 3

And I have the sneaky suspicion that Dante Pettis might look darn close to a #1 WR within a couple of years. A 1-2 punch of Kittle and Pettis has serious potential. I'm not worried about the running game as long as we have Shanahan running the show. Or the offense as a whole, for that matter (maybe except the redzone offense).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I said this from the beginning. Brown wants targets and a steady workload. They way Shanny's offense is structured, the open man gets the ball. I don't see Shanny ever force-feeding any WR/TE ever. Even when he had Julio Jones, he got his within the framework of the offense. AB has never struck me as the type that would be comfortable with not seeing a steady diet of targets. I just never saw him meshing well with this offense and it's dynamics. That and I didn't see Lynch giving up the draft capital required to get him, though I feel it won't be as steep as I initially thought. 

I think that is a complete myth about the open man gets the ball. There is always a first option on every play and Shanny will specifically tell the QB who to look for on certain play calls. When he was mic'd up against I think Denver, he told Mullens pre-snap that to look for Kittle here and it led to a 80+ yard TD. Goodwin wasn't always open Jimmy G's first year here yet he still made it a point to get him the ball. While you could argue he doesn't force feed it to #1 WRs as much as other offenses, Shanny certainly calls plays for specific players to get touches on specific plays. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I think that is a complete myth about the open man gets the ball. There is always a first option on every play and Shanny will specifically tell the QB who to look for on certain play calls. When he was mic'd up against I think Denver, he told Mullens pre-snap that to look for Kittle here and it led to a 80+ yard TD. Goodwin wasn't always open Jimmy G's first year here yet he still made it a point to get him the ball. While you could argue he doesn't force feed it to #1 WRs as much as other offenses, Shanny certainly calls plays for specific players to get touches on specific plays. 

I would assume some of that is the defense that he expects to be played given the down and distance and team and whom he would assume would be open on those coverages. But there definitely could be some of that as well.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

And I have the sneaky suspicion that Dante Pettis might look darn close to a #1 WR within a couple of years. A 1-2 punch of Kittle and Pettis has serious potential. I'm not worried about the running game as long as we have Shanahan running the show. Or the offense as a whole, for that matter (maybe except the redzone offense).

This is what I've been saying about this offense. A #1 WR isn't required for this offense to function at a high level. It would be nice to have a go-to guy you can just throw it up to but I think a WR corps that compliments one another is more important than finding that WR1 for this system. 

And agree on Pettis and Kittle. I was weary of Pettis as a prospect but he showed enough last year that if he improves on his strength and durability, he could have a Kittle-like second year breakout. 

Edited by 757-NINER

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yes this, shanny is always looking for mismatches and creates plays based on that weekly. Where a certain player one week gets more looks then the next based on the d there playing. That's what makes Kyle so special.

Edited by 49erurtaza