How to sack the QB in the new flag league

3rivers

This is a better quality. Would this be a flag today? No body weigh on the QB, no hit to the knee or head.  Many of todays players weren't born when this happened, but the coaches can play this to teach players while the nfl plays the clay matthews hit .;)

Do what Dupree did to Fitzpatrick. Make sure the QB fall on the defender. The NFL doesnt care if a defender gets lost for the season but if a QB is lost for the season then its an uproar. So thats the only logic way to hit a QB. I know it sucks but thats how the NFL is nowadays.

35 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I'm sure the NFL would change the rule to make it illegal, especially if Rodgers was on the receiving end of it.

This is basically true.  If a QB got seriously hurt from this hit, they would find a way to make it illegal.  Hit the QB with unnecessary force or some BS language that's really hard to officiate.

27 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Do what Dupree did to Fitzpatrick. Make sure the QB fall on the defender. 

Through the years I've sometimes watched the rusher grab the QB in a bear hug then twist as they both fell, so the QB landed on the defender's chest. Seems like a good way to deliver a decent hit within the rules. 

Actually the rule is from 1995 and 23 years old already, it just wasn't enforced til lately. I think it's called the **** Butkus rule, because even if Butkus retired in 1973, his hits on QB's were still giving them pain in 1995.

3 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

Do what Dupree did to Fitzpatrick. Make sure the QB fall on the defender. The NFL doesnt care if a defender gets lost for the season but if a QB is lost for the season then its an uproar. So thats the only logic way to hit a QB. I know it sucks but thats how the NFL is nowadays.

And what if the defender gets injured? No harm no foul, right. That hit above just shows the idiocy of the rule in place 

The Burt hit might be more force than required, but the technique doesn't involve helmet to helmet or the knees getting hit so it it a penalty today?

If the league wants to protect the QB's ( and have a league of 40+ year old QB that consume 20% of the teams cap), then they should make the QB's wear better equipment , such as knee braces and a different helmet.  Right now it's more like the league is taking away from defence more than they need to. 

Great video!  If younger people want to watch what REAL football used to look like just go watch some of the big classic games from the 80's and 90's.  There was absolutely nothing wrong with the game back then and the popularity of the league skyrocketed during that time, yet today absolutely everything HAS to be changed.  For reasons.

Well I was thinking about this today. Think of the rules for a second...

1. You're not allowed to hit the head of QB

2. You're not allowed to go low on a QB

3. You're not allowed to wrap up and throw QB to the ground anymore

4. You're not allowed to wrap up and land with your body weight on the QB

The rules make it almost impossible to sack the QB. Because if you wrap up the QB and try to contort your body so you don't land on top of him then you could easily get flagged for throwing QB to the ground.

It seems by rules like the only way to sack the QB is to not wrap up and hit him in the chest and hope he falls to the ground and doesn't stay on his feet... Which is just crappy defense.

Archived