Movies & TV News/Buzz Thread

Acgott

Yeah, that Holmes and Watson movie was so bad Netflix literally said no to buying it.  Even indie comedies are suffering from some of the recent trends in comedy.  The last strong comedy I can remember, and I'm probably missing at least one, was Death at a Funeral.  What happens?  It's remade with a terrible, terrible remake that has nothing of what made the original funny. 

You just look at comedy trailers these days and it's terrible.  The issues with comedy these days:

1. Current trends that everybody knows and are not funny instead of using universally, timelessly funny stuff.  The Holmes and Watson trailer provided a perfect example of this with them trying to take a selfie.  Selfies stopped being funny like 6 years ago.  This is an especially problematic trend with spoof movies.  Look at Airplane and the humor there.  They didn't actually refer to movies or make current event jokes, they just took a concept (Disaster movies) and added in loads of hilarious jokes that are still, to this day, timeless.  You put in Scary Movie 4 or some crap and it's got all these references to movies people will have forgotten about in five years, references to flash in pan celebrities who had 15 minutes of fame, etc. 

2. There's no subtlety.  It's all about physical comedy after physical comedy with loud, obnoxious people, usually fat. 

3. It's all sex jokes.  When will people stop thinking Rebel Wilson is funny because she's fat and vulgar?  It's the same thing with so, so, so many.  Bridget Everett is another one.  Amy Schumer is another one.  They literally have no comedic timing, no sense of delivery, nothing. 

4. Comedic timing.  This is what's missing the most.  Comedians of the 80's actually had a sense of timing.  People like Jon Lovitz, Norm McDonald, Bernadette Peters and dozens and dozens of actors from the 80's could make anything funny even if what they said wasn't funny.  It wasn't about the lines with them, it was about the delivery. 

This scene from The Jerk had me laughing harder than any movie in the past 6 years not because of the dialogue, but how it was delivered. 

The way Bernadette Peters counted down and ended it with "4,5,6" made me laugh so hard the first time I saw it that I literally couldn't laugh as hard as my brain wanted me to. 

5. No originality - Every single time there's a comedy that makes money, they take the funniest scenes and put them in the next ones with some stupid plot and don't actually try new stuff.  The delivery of lines is exactly the same, the gags are exactly the same and it gets to the point where you can literally guess the dialogue. 

6. They literally try to replicate memes and Internet speech in movies. 

7. Everything just gets way too exaggerated to be funny.  Step Brothers is a good example of this.  It was hilarious for the first 2/3 of the movie for the most part, and it had some really funny scenes in it, but then things just went way out of hand to become unrealistic and stupid.  They absolutely trash an expensive yacht and act like it's nothing, then that one Riggle guy shouts and yells way too unrealistically, then there's this big party type thing where people get into the boats and hoes  song and it just gets so ridiculous it can't be taken seriously. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Yeah, that Holmes and Watson movie was so bad Netflix literally said no to buying it.  Even indie comedies are suffering from some of the recent trends in comedy.  The last strong comedy I can remember, and I'm probably missing at least one, was Death at a Funeral.  What happens?  It's remade with a terrible, terrible remake that has nothing of what made the original funny. 

You just look at comedy trailers these days and it's terrible.  The issues with comedy these days:

1. Current trends that everybody knows and are not funny instead of using universally, timelessly funny stuff.  The Holmes and Watson trailer provided a perfect example of this with them trying to take a selfie.  Selfies stopped being funny like 6 years ago.  This is an especially problematic trend with spoof movies.  Look at Airplane and the humor there.  They didn't actually refer to movies or make current event jokes, they just took a concept (Disaster movies) and added in loads of hilarious jokes that are still, to this day, timeless.  You put in Scary Movie 4 or some crap and it's got all these references to movies people will have forgotten about in five years, references to flash in pan celebrities who had 15 minutes of fame, etc. 

2. There's no subtlety.  It's all about physical comedy after physical comedy with loud, obnoxious people, usually fat. 

3. It's all sex jokes.  When will people stop thinking Rebel Wilson is funny because she's fat and vulgar?  It's the same thing with so, so, so many.  Bridget Everett is another one.  Amy Schumer is another one.  They literally have no comedic timing, no sense of delivery, nothing. 

4. Comedic timing.  This is what's missing the most.  Comedians of the 80's actually had a sense of timing.  People like Jon Lovitz, Norm McDonald, Bernadette Peters and dozens and dozens of actors from the 80's could make anything funny even if what they said wasn't funny.  It wasn't about the lines with them, it was about the delivery. 

This scene from The Jerk had me laughing harder than any movie in the past 6 years not because of the dialogue, but how it was delivered. 

The way Bernadette Peters counted down and ended it with "4,5,6" made me laugh so hard the first time I saw it that I literally couldn't laugh as hard as my brain wanted me to. 

5. No originality - Every single time there's a comedy that makes money, they take the funniest scenes and put them in the next ones with some stupid plot and don't actually try new stuff.  The delivery of lines is exactly the same, the gags are exactly the same and it gets to the point where you can literally guess the dialogue. 

7. Everything just gets way too exaggerated to be funny.  Step Brothers is a good example of this.  It was hilarious for the first 2/3 of the movie for the most part, and it had some really funny scenes in it, but then things just went way out of hand to become unrealistic and stupid.  They absolutely trash an expensive yacht and act like it's nothing, then that one Riggle guy shouts and yells way too unrealistically, then there's this big party type thing where people get into the boats and hoes  song and it just gets so ridiculous it can't be taken seriously. 

Spot on. Same goes for shows like 'South Park' which used to be pretty damn hilarious up until about season 6 or 7. 

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

It's hard to be original now days when every panzy is ready to be offended by anything not politically correct. I would bet to find a movie that may be funny now days is if you have a bunch of people claiming that its highly offensive in some way. That's the place to start looking. 

• Like 2

Just now, Calvert28 said:

It's hard to be original now days when every panzy is ready to be offended by anything not politically correct. I would bet to find a movie that may be funny now days is if you have a bunch of people claiming that its highly offensive in some way. That's the place to start looking. 

Wrong.  Comedy doesn't have to be offensive.  There is nothing offensive about "Don't call me Shirley," nothing offensive about the clip I just provided.  Nothing offensive about comedic timing.  Some of the things I've laughed at the hardest in movies have been simple dialogue with great delivery.  The line in Ghostbusters of, "Somebody go help that little guy!" towards the end had me dying.  So did "Cats and dogs living together mass hysteria."  "It's just a flesh wound," "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here.  This is the War Room..."

Buster Keaton never said a word and he was more funny than 7/8ths of the actors working today. 

Suggesting that a comedy has to be offensive to be funny is offensive.  The vast majority of the great comedies in film history have very little offensive material. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

yep.

the last brillantly funny movie was Tropic Thunder, and they got into some hot water for their Full Retard bit.

• Like 3

Just now, Malfatron said:

yep.

the last brillantly funny movie was Tropic Thunder, and they got into some hot water for their Full Retard bit.

Let's be honest though... That was Robert Downey Jr. and Tom Cruise who made that movie and it would have been just as funny without half the offensiveness. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Wrong.  Comedy doesn't have to be offensive.  There is nothing offensive about "Don't call me Shirley," nothing offensive about the clip I just provided.  Nothing offensive about comedic timing.  Some of the things I've laughed at the hardest in movies have been simple dialogue with great delivery.  The line in Ghostbusters of, "Somebody go help that little guy!" towards the end had me dying.  So did "Cats and dogs living together mass hysteria."  "It's just a flesh wound," "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here.  This is the War Room..."

Buster Keaton never said a word and he was more funny than 7/8ths of the actors working today. 

Suggesting that a comedy has to be offensive to be funny is offensive.  The vast majority of the great comedies in film history have very little offensive material. 

comedies just dont make money anymore.

or win relevant awards

Just now, Outpost31 said:

Let's be honest though... That was Robert Downey Jr. and Tom Cruise who made that movie and it would have been just as funny without half the offensiveness. 

it was a very strong ensemble

matthew M as the agent, steve coogan, danny mcbride, etc

the only part i didnt like about the movie was they made a point to show that the kid was alive after ben stiller threw him off the bridge. that was a copout like the studio made the kid from Freddy got Fingered say "im okay" after he hit the propeller

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FinneasGage said:

this is still the best line in a movie of all time imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PN6xemdjik

yeah, and thats other good point.

sometimes the best comedies are those that dont market themselves as comedies.

i just watched In Bruges for about the 10th time last weekend, and i still laughed many many times. very funny movie, and technically probably not in the comedy genre

43 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Ben Stiller is a national treasure 

good chance one of these films will win BP at the oscars

BlacKkKlansman
Black Panther
Bohemian Rhapsody
Crazy Rich Asians
The Favourite
Green Book
A Quiet Place
Roma
A Star Is Born
Vice

Which film will triumph this year? The answer lies within these nominees. As far as nomination overlap goes with the Oscars, this is how often the PGA Awards have lined up with the Academy's choices for Best Picture.

2017: 7/9
2016: 9/9
2015: 7/8
2014: 7/8
2013: 8/9
2012: 8/9
2011: 7/9
2010: 9/10
2009: 8/10

https://www.nextbestpicture.com/latest/the-2019-producers-guild-of-america-pga-nominations

I think 'A star is Born' and 'Roma' are the frontrunners