Movies & TV News/Buzz Thread

Acgott

On 12/19/2018 at 3:48 PM, Fl0nkerton said:

Oof yeah, this looks rough.

ninja edit: I forgot about the teaser, which looked great. I was speaking more towards the costumes.

The trailer was great because of the score.  You didn't really see the costumes much, or people.

On 12/31/2018 at 12:34 AM, Oregon Ducks said:

What's the latest on "The Name of the Wind" movie and series?

There is none? A quick google says that the last bit of information is that Sam Raimi is no longer directing it, and that was in December, but no timeline or anything like that. They're probably waiting for a timeline for the third book so that they can release it with the hype of that.

• Like 1

The new Will Ferrell/John C Reiley movie "Holmes & Watson" is getting pretty much universally lambasted.  Not that its shocking, seeing as how Hollywood doesnt really produce good comedy anymore and the fact that Will Ferrell is going the same route as Adam Sandler and just doing whatever garbage is given to him that puts more cash in his pocket.  

6 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

The new Will Ferrell/John C Reiley movie "Holmes & Watson" is getting pretty much universally lambasted.  Not that its shocking, seeing as how Hollywood doesnt really produce good comedy anymore and the fact that Will Ferrell is going the same route as Adam Sandler and just doing whatever garbage is given to him that puts more cash in his pocket.  

hard to find work for an elderly comedian

9 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Which sucks because this film was in production hell for years. The reason it's a direct 1:1 parody of the Guy Ritchie films is because it was announced at the same time as the first one of those was just about to come out. And originally, it was supposed to be Sacha Baron Cohen as Holmes and Ferrell as Watson. Which would have worked far better as Farrell has always been better as the straight man in a tightly scripted comedic film. I forget who was attached to direct and produce but there were some fairly notable and quality names IIRC. Instead we got this farce of a film that satisfies nobody and ends up being just completely ******* awful on every level.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

The problem isn't Ferrell...the problem is Hollywood isn't capable of producing good comedies anymore.

I don't disagree. The steep decline in them is concerning.

I did however watch Blockers the other day with my wife. It was actually decent and had a couple great laughs in it. Cena's turning into a not bad actor for the roles he plays to be honest. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

The problem isn't Ferrell...the problem is Hollywood isn't capable of producing good comedies anymore.

Not a big sample size but Blockers and Game Night were both really good comedies from last year.

• Like 1

I mostly agree w/ this.

What I never could understand is why invest all the production cost into a Holmes/Watson film w/ Ferrell/Reilley when you could remake Step Brothers for almost no production cost and make tons. That film was literally just in a house, with them playing magically off each other and their parents, and was absolutley amazing stupid humor. The studio would barely have to even invest in a script, just let those two work off each other. No set design cost, no waredrobe cost, just them mostly ad-libbing and killing it.