Movies & TV News/Buzz Thread

Acgott

22 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Wrong.  Comedy doesn't have to be offensive.  There is nothing offensive about "Don't call me Shirley," nothing offensive about the clip I just provided.  Nothing offensive about comedic timing.  Some of the things I've laughed at the hardest in movies have been simple dialogue with great delivery.  The line in Ghostbusters of, "Somebody go help that little guy!" towards the end had me dying.  So did "Cats and dogs living together mass hysteria."  "It's just a flesh wound," "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here.  This is the War Room..."

Buster Keaton never said a word and he was more funny than 7/8ths of the actors working today. 

Suggesting that a comedy has to be offensive to be funny is offensive.  The vast majority of the great comedies in film history have very little offensive material. 

Of course comedy doesnt have to be offensive to be funny.  The problem is emotionally weak people act offended to everything these days, and Hollywood is constantly trying to cater to it.   

Terrible writing and lack of originality are the biggest issues with comedy these days...but both stem from the PC culture that is currently destroying all forms of media.   Being offensive isn't necessary for good comedy....but constantly being scared of offending someone too often results in terrible comedy...and we are seeing it right now.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

This goes back to what I was saying earlier.  

These weak, thin skinned, professional victims who are offended by almost everything create a backlash to almost anything they deem to be wrongthink or politically incorrect....

Dont like a movie with a female lead?   Its sexism.

Casted a lesbian as Batgirl?   Oh no...she isnt gay enough!!!

Someone made a harmless gay joke on Twitter 10 years ago?  Ruin their life!!!

15, maybe even 10 years ago, people like this would be laughed at and ridiculed....as they should be.   Now, they are catered to and apologized to....the problem?    They never stop complaining...ever.    They just move on to the next thing to be offended by.

Dont want to get into a big discussion about this....but this garbage is way more common than it should be, and the more these types are catered to, the more common it will be become.

Edited by FourThreeMafia
  • Like 9

BFI won't fund films that have villains with scars

As part of a campaign by Changing Faces, a UK charity campaigning to end discrimination against people with visible differences, the BFI has pledged to support their I Am Not Your Villain initiative, which focuses on ending the use of “scars, burns or marks as shorthand for villainy”.

Edited by August4th

2 hours ago, August4th said:

BFI won't fund films that have villains with scars

Well I mean a villain can’t be all that talented if he doesn’t have baby smooth skin. Means he’s pretty much untouchable. I can respect that 

On 1/8/2019 at 11:36 PM, FourThreeMafia said:

This goes back to what I was saying earlier.  

These weak, thin skinned, professional victims who are offended by almost everything create a backlash to almost anything they deem to be wrongthink or politically incorrect....

Dont like a movie with a female lead?   Its sexism.

Casted a lesbian as Batgirl?   Oh no...she isnt gay enough!!!

Someone made a harmless gay joke on Twitter 10 years ago?  Ruin their life!!!

15, maybe even 10 years ago, people like this would be laughed at and ridiculed....as they should be.   Now, they are catered to and apologized to....the problem?    They never stop complaining...ever.    They just move on to the next thing to be offended by.

Dont want to get into a big discussion about this....but this garbage is way more common than it should be, and the more these types are catered to, the more common it will be become.

preach-brother-memes-2-300x200.jpg

On 1/8/2019 at 10:59 PM, Malfatron said:

The only problem with this movie is the fact that it was even made. The Intouchables is a fantastic film, and there really was no need to remake it for American audiences.