Titans WR Rishard Matthews Asks Team For Release

Broncofan

1 minute ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Maybe JAG isnt quite the right description, but he certainly isnt good enough to be handed playing time he hasnt earned.   He isnt bonafide starter quality or anything like that.

If he is so good though, why wouldnt he "fit"?   Seems to me like he just isnt playing at a high enough level to warrant the playing time he believes he deserves?   What if he goes to another team, doesnt get the playing time he wants and demands his release again?

Considering fielding 3WR sets are essentially base formation at this point, he's a borderline starter. Either way demanding a trade at this point seems unwarranted. I think he'd be a good fit on a team that utilizes the short passing game. He might best be served on a team like New England, Philadelphia, Indianapolis or New Orleans. I'll be honest I haven't seen him this year. Has the injury really taken that much out of his game? Is it not something he can regain with time?

10 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Considering fielding 3WR sets are essentially base formation at this point, he's a borderline starter. Either way demanding a trade at this point seems unwarranted. I think he'd be a good fit on a team that utilizes the short passing game. He might best be served on a team like New England, Philadelphia, Indianapolis or New Orleans. I'll be honest I haven't seen him this year. Has the injury really taken that much out of his game? Is it not something he can regain with time?

Well considering you haven’t watched him this year that also means you haven’t watched any Titans games either, but we do use the short passing game. In fact, that’s all we’ve used through 3 games so far so he was a fine fit here. Also, if you look at the snap counts he was easily right there as the WR2-3 so he was easily a borderline starter. Also yes, the achilles and meniscus injuries have definitely slown him down so far through 3 games. He can’t separate from his defender at all.

27 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

There's definitely been an impact.  While his snap count has gone down for obvious reasons (not only the injury, but missing all that time while implementing a new offense means there's challenges in terms of timing, route options, etc...)

But he's still getting 50% of the snaps.  And he's been pretty much invisible in those snaps.  3 catches on 6 targets... and the only real memorable one is that drop last week that would have given the Titans a 1st and 10 in the red zone.  He took over for punt return duties once Adoree went out, but he made a horrible decision on a return as well (went to his knees to field a punt, tried to stand up with two Jags within 5 yards of him, and suprise surprise he was buried...

He just wasn't there physically or mentally at this point...

8 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

My point is, if he was playing well, why would he not be getting more playing time?     He isnt the caliber of player that should just be handed playing time and assumed he is just going through a rough stretch.     If he isnt playing well, then he should have to work for his playing time.   Competition breeds excellence, and if there are other players playing better, why should he get MORE time over other guys that either have more potential or are showing more?

Maybe another team could get more out of him....I dont know.   But just because he has been decent in the past doesnt mean he is still on that level.    He's never been that great to begin with, and its very possible he's lost an important step.

27 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

They need one badly. Perhaps not so much after week 4.

The fact that he hasn't signed with one of the many WR-needy teams says a lot about his character or attitude, IMO.

Do they really need one? Hogan, Edelman, Dorsett and Gordon isnt a top-tier group but I’d still consider it not so bad they should get mentioned every time an average WR becomes available 

4 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Do they really need one? Hogan, Edelman, Dorsett and Gordon isnt a top-tier group but I’d still consider it not so bad they should get mentioned every time an average WR becomes available 

Dorsett is awful, Gordon is a total unknown with health and drugs, Edelman is 32 and coming off an ACL injury.

Pats have the worst WR group in the NFL unless Edelman is in 2016 form and Gordon is drug free and healthy. Seems unlikely.

3 hours ago, mcmurtry86 said:

Dorsett is awful, Gordon is a total unknown with health and drugs, Edelman is 32 and coming off an ACL injury.

Pats have the worst WR group in the NFL unless Edelman is in 2016 form and Gordon is drug free and healthy. Seems unlikely.

Yeah not even close, Buffalo and Dallas exist. 

8 hours ago, cddolphin said:

They need one badly. Perhaps not so much after week 4.

The fact that he hasn't signed with one of the many WR-needy teams says a lot about his character or attitude, IMO.

Not at all, he's just injured and wasn't getting the playing time because he's injured. No team will sign him until there's an injury/he's healthy not an indication of his attitude or character 

I've seen Titans/NFL fans bash Matthews  in this thread because he went against the team, I kind of get it but he's in the right here.

29 minutes ago, DingoLadd said:

Yeah not even close, Buffalo and Dallas exist. 

Not at all, he's just injured and wasn't getting the playing time because he's injured. No team will sign him until there's an injury/he's healthy not an indication of his attitude or character 

I've seen Titans/NFL fans bash Matthews  in this thread because he went against the team, I kind of get it but he's in the right here.

Not sure how Matthews is in the right. Team is trying to ease him back from a knee injury so he doesn't make it worse, but is still giving him 50% of the snaps, give or take, and even worked with him on a contract this past off-season despite the fact that he missed most of training camp with said injury. And we've been without our LT for a game and a half, QB for a game and a half, starting RT and backup RT for a couple games, so the passing game wasn't really getting going to much of anyone, so him complaining about targets doesn't even make sense either.

Dude is a slower, possession style receiver. Reliable on third downs and over the middle. A poor man's later career Anquan Boldin. Has worth, but in our limited offense to start the year due to injuries, targeting him a ton wasn't going to make any sense, he doesn't have the quickness/agility in the open field like a Davis or a Taylor to make the mass amount of short and screen passes we were having to run due to the injuries work.

But instead of waiting for this game against Philly where the offense was gonna have it's LT in place, Conklin was gonna be back at RT and Mariota has improved enough to remove the limitations off the playbook, he just quits.

Matthews is a crybaby and quit on the team. He deserves no kind of props or credit for "being right".

Literally right before the season started he gave some quote that he was willing to do whatever was needed to help the team win. So much for that I guess.

31 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Literally right before the season started he gave some quote that he was willing to do whatever was needed to help the team win. So much for that I guess.

I know I saw that quite directly but of course I can't find it now... But this was a month ago talking about the offense... 

Archived