Top five defenses in the league

patriotsheatyan

Jags no question. They are the best defense in the NFL.

I think the Eagles have carried over enough talent and played well enough thus far to preserve their status as a top 5 defense that they held last year. 

Other 3? Too early to tell, good defenses from last year have disappointed, defenses doing well this year haven't been tested... I'd say the 3 are somewhere in this pile of Bears, Ravens, Vikings, Rams, Colts, Panthers, Browns, Redskins, and it will be clear by midseason.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2018 at 5:27 PM, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Jags no question. They are the best defense in the NFL.

I think the Eagles have carried over enough talent and played well enough thus far to preserve their status as a top 5 defense that they held last year. 

Other 3? Too early to tell, good defenses from last year have disappointed, defenses doing well this year haven't been tested... I'd say the 3 are somewhere in this pile of Bears, Ravens, Vikings, Rams, Colts, Panthers, Browns, Redskins, and it will be clear by midseason.

The Vikings have no business being anywhere near the top 5. They just haven’t been very good this year. 

42 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

The Vikings have no business being anywhere near the top 5. They just haven’t been very good this year. 

What happened to them? I'm not trying to troll or anything, I seriously want to know. They have so many incredible pieces on that defense with Rhodes, Smith, Barr and a ton on the DL. I though they'd be smashing teams

1 hour ago, Ketchup said:

Philly hasn’t been all that special either. They looked defeated vs Tennessee. 

I’ll take the Jags, Bears, Ravens, Rams, and Browns (despite giving up 30+ vs Oakland). 

3 hours ago, SBLIII said:

Jags, Bears, Ravens, Jets, Browns

Seems about right at the moment. Still early in the season. The Rams and Vikings could come on strong and jump some of these teams.

As it stands, I think the Jags, Bears and Browns are top 5 defenses with teams like the Ravens, NYJ, SEA, MIA, WAS and PHI fighting for the other two spots. 

11 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

Dallas deserves some recognition.  They are arguably a top 5 defense...

I strongly disagree. While they have a strong pass rush, up until their last game yesterday against a weak Houston offense, they were 32nd in the league in takeaways (2), 29th in the red zone DVOA and 26th in pass DVOA. Combine that with being 17th in variance(showing inconsistency), despite playing the 19th easiest offensive schedule, it shows that they're clearly vulnerable and have yet to show much improvement to be considered top-5.  

Archived