2017 Preseason GDT Week 2 Browns and Giants

Bucketheadsdad

4 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

Biggest take away from this game?  Is our defense actually looking good or is giants offense that garbagy?

Zero tds so far for themin either game, so I would say our d is better, but they are not opening up their bag of tricks yet.

Positives:

• Schobert seizing the starting MLB position 
  • Peppers ability to turn any punt or kick return into a TD is reminiscent of Cribbs
  • Garrett getting his first sack
  • Matt Dayes embodies "playing angry" and provides good depth at the RB position
  • Zane Gonzalez consistently blasting KO's into the third row of the Dawg Pound

Negatives:

• Kizer looked all the part of an inexperienced 2nd round QB and of the other two, neither seem to want to own the starting job. I think we all need to come to terms that there really is no "answer" to who should start game 1, and whoever Hue decides is the least wrong person to put out against Pittsburgh is going to disappoint us.
    • Brock being 6'7 and having a tipped pass at the line go for an INT. (I know it's because of his release point)
    • Kizer's internal clock in the pocket is his sink or swim point. If he gets it figured out he'll chance to be great, but if he doesn't do it soon he's going to get blasted and go out with multiple concussions like Cody last year.
  • Injuries - Carder, Njoku, McCants, Currie
  • It looks like Joe Haden has lost a step. Getting nervous he's going to be more of a liability than a benefit at this point.
  • Penalities - especially Zeitler w/ 2. Gotta clean that stuff up.

My prediction is Brock gets the starting nod for the start of the regular season, if for nothing else than the fact that that's what the players want. Our defense is going to keep us in games, but goodness is our QB position going to hurt us early on. 

I feel really good about our defense. We need to stop f'ing around with tank carder and start schobert. Dropping 15 pounds over the offseason have him looking like an entirely new player. Our LBs are so fast. 

I still worry about our safeties. I like peppers but we shouldn't pair him for kindred or another non coverage safety. We give up too much space up the middle. 

I really like how we're containing everything to the inside. That was a foreign concept to our past DCs. It helps to have speed on the outside like Garrett, ogbah, kirksey, Collins, peppers and good tacking corners like mac and bbc. 

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

You are way too hard on this dude.

He's played his whole career with nothing that even resembles a pass rush.

I'll be curious to see how he looks this season.

His technique is terrible and he doesn't have the speed to make up for it anymore. He just doesn't look good. I think a move to FS would help him. 

Here are some thoughts that I have after watching last night:

*Schobert looked GOOD. Let's just give him the job as a rotational ILB/MLB. Carder is atrocious anyway.

*Osweiler hasn't done anything to show he's able to be a viable starter for this team. I'd roll with Kizer and see what we have. He's at least shown flashes.

*I loved what I saw out of our defense last night, but Haden looks terrible. He looks slow. If it weren't for his name, I think he's a bubble guy. He's making WAY too much money. If he's not a FS, then I don't think he's anything more than an average/below average CB personally.

*I think we have some solid DE depth. Nassib looks good as a rotational guy and Ogbah and Garrett look GOOD. Solid rushing the passer and GREAT at setting the edge the last couple games.

*Let's keep Gonzalez and cut Parkey barring something unforeseen in the next 2 games.

5 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

His technique is terrible and he doesn't have the speed to make up for it anymore. He just doesn't look good. I think a move to FS would help him. 

I won't disagree that a move to FS would help him, but he's asked to do a lot without a lot of help and I think a lot of guys would struggle in his position.

36 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I'd like to see the coaches embrace the youth as much as possible too.

Schobert over Carder, Kizer over Brock, Peppers over whoever the hell they have starting, etc.. If these guys aren't good by year 5 or 6, odds are they never will be.

It's time for a youth movement.  They have good pieces in place and could move the players along a little more slowly.  Brock doesn't look like the answer, Kizer at least looks a little better.  Schobert has been playing great at MLB and I've been excited to see what Peppers brings to the table.  The little bit I listened to the game yesterday I heard Peppers and BBC's name constantly.  BBC was all around the ball, not just for the completely legal/not dirty at all/unlucky hit on OBJ.  I think Hue knows who his QB is, not sure why he wants to wait until Wednesday to announce it.  Regardless, I'm excited for this year.  I expect improvement!

Archived