2017 Preseason GDT Week 2 Browns and Giants

Bucketheadsdad

6 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Watch the video I posted of Kizer's post game presser, he discussed some of the issues and one of them was the time spent in the huddle which cuts into his time to make those presnap adjustments and motions.

They could obviously dumb down the playbook, and maybe they should, but the bottom line is these QB's just need to learn the offense. This is why I'm fully on board with Kizer starting, naming him the starter now and giving him the reps in practice to prepare.

I believe doing those complicated things with Kizer knows let's Hue know when he stands in the grand scheme of things. I think if Kizer is named the QB they would simplify the offense so him and the team is successful but grow and develop the playbook as Kizer grows and develops

11 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I believe doing those complicated things with Kizer knows let's Hue know when he stands in the grand scheme of things. I think if Kizer is named the QB they would simplify the offense so him and the team is successful but grow and develop the playbook as Kizer grows and develops

Agreed.

I think we saw last year with Kessler that Hue isn't going to leave his qb out to dry, he put together some nice game plans that emphasized his strengths and minimized his deficiencies.

I have no reason to believe he won't do the same with Kizer.

12 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Ogbah hasn't done anything. I've been disappointed so far.

Ogbah didn't do anything last preseason either. 

Remember Nassib was the preseason star. 

In terms of Kizer I say start Brock until you have to play Kizer. When it becomes unbearable then you go to Kizer and don't look back. But try to hold off as long as possible. If it takes even the next two preseason games I'd give Brock every opportunity.

5 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Ogbah didn't do anything last preseason either. 

Remember Nassib was the preseason star. 

In terms of Kizer I say start Brock until you have to play Kizer. When it becomes unbearable then you go to Kizer and don't look back. But try to hold off as long as possible. If it takes even the next two preseason games I'd give Brock every opportunity.

What do 2 preseason games do to help Osweiler if you're going to play Kizer sooner rather than later anyway?

Why waste those reps on a turrrible qb?

I was originally leaning towards having Brock start the season but after last nights game, I'm not so sure.  Neither Brock or Kizer have shown enough to be considered the unquestioned starter for the Browns.   Because of that, it may be time to just have Kizer as the starter.  I know it would be nice to protect Kizer for the first few games but does it really help the team if we are losing  because of an inadequate Brock at QB? I guess my thought process is why not have the QB with the most potential (Kizer) out there and see what we have for the entire season instead of just 10-11 games.  I would like to think that most of us are in agreement that Kizer will start at some point throughout the season.  You might as well give him ALL of the 1st team reps and see what he can do.  The Browns have to find out if he is the answer at QB or not.

Peace!!!

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

What do 2 preseason games do to help Osweiler if you're going to play Kizer sooner rather than later anyway?

Why waste those reps on a turrrible qb?

It's not wasting them on Brock it's more so not putting Kizer out there till he's ready. 

We all know Brock ain't the guy, but you don't want to break Kizer basically. 

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think we saw last year with Kessler that Hue isn't going to leave his qb out to dry, he put together some nice game plans that emphasized his strengths and minimized his deficiencies.

Is this aside from the time he pulled Kessler out of a winning ballgame because Cody wasn't throwing the ball downfield, despite the fact that that's not his strength?

But I digress...

Removing unsuccessful, extraneous pre-snap movements isn't really "dumbing down" the playbook, so I'm not so sure I agree with that take, but even if it is are we now saying that coaches shouldn't pare things down at first to help a rookie QB succeed? I don't believe in rigid "sit him until x amount of time" strategies because each QB and situation is different, but if Kizer is starting day one I absolutely feel like Hue needs to work with the understanding that Kizer is a rookie and not unleash the full totality of the playbook like he would someone more familiar with it. Pre-snap shifts on every other play are simply one more aspect Kizer (and everyone else for that matter) can be distracted by, but in this case have a relatively low pay-off.

I know we all love a trial by fire, either he has "it" or not mentality, but it's simply not pragmatic and I think anymore than one or two of those at most for Kizer in a real game scenario and Hue deserves some criticism. 

Pulling Kessler was absolutely a mistake, I completely agree, but for the most part he held his hand as much as you can expect a coach to do for a professional.

As freaky noted, albeit with first round picks, if they can play, they do.  If they sit, they suck. 

We have what should be a very good OL, good running game and some talented albeit unproven pass catchers. QB's have been put in worse positions.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Pulling Kessler was absolutely a mistake, I completely agree, but for the most part he held his hand as much as you can expect a coach to do for a professional.

As freaky noted, albeit with first round picks, if they can play, they do.  If they sit, they suck. 

We have what should be a very good OL, good running game and some talented albeit unproven pass catchers. QB's have been put in worse positions.

Just to be clear, my point has never been Deshone shouldn't start- I just think when it comes to things like pre-snap shifts specifically they most likely hurt Deshone and haven't really even shown to do much for the offense.

Archived