Did Jack Del Rio get fired for good reason in Oakland?

patriotsheatyan

Jack Del Rio is/was alot like Jeff Fisher as a head coach.    I refer to coaches like this as "training wheel coaches".    I think they can help take a team from terrible to solid, but they arent good enough to get teams over the hump IMO.

However, I think they made a mistake getting rid of him in favor of a guy who proved the game passed him by in his last stint as a head coach.

Sometimes an owner vastly overvalues the makeup of his team and needs a scapegoat to say "it's not the team, it's this one coach whose messing it all up". Del Rio because he overachieved one season with Carr overinflated the teams opinion of itself. Carr had a break out year but was still forming as a QB even though he helped cover up some flaws. Then he got injured at a critical time in his development. The team didn't take that into account and thought he should have been able to just get right back on track. They found a scapegoat in Del Rio and saw a shiny Gruden as the answer. Gruden's hype was a complete con job by the sports media. He was very fortunate to win that one SB he did with someone else's team and there's a reason he was booted from the Raiders the first time and why Tampa gave up on him. He also spent way too much time out of the league. Pure stupidity/

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Jack Del Rio is/was alot like Jeff Fisher as a head coach.    I refer to coaches like this as "training wheel coaches".    I think they can help take a team from terrible to solid, but they arent good enough to get teams over the hump IMO.

However, I think they made a mistake getting rid of him in favor of a guy who proved the game passed him by in his last stint as a head coach.

I don't even think you could say that about Jeff Fisher anymore.

He brought the Rams from terrible to mediocre, and by the end of his tenure they were pretty terrible again.

But I agree with the point about Del Rio.

However, I don't think Gruden is the answer for them either.

2 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

I don't even think you could say that about Jeff Fisher anymore.

He brought the Rams from terrible to mediocre, and by the end of his tenure they were pretty terrible again.

But I agree with the point about Del Rio.

However, I don't think Gruden is the answer for them either.

I can agree with that. He gained more Talent, but the team went backwards.

Jack Del Rio is a terrible head coach. He’s good at getting you to the playoffs every once in a while but that’s about it. Ask Jags fans. We needed someone with experience to change our culture, Del Rio was that guy. We all knew it wasn’t a long term solution. We just needed to taste winning again. 

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Jack Del Rio is a terrible head coach. He’s good at getting you to the playoffs every once in a while but that’s about it. Ask Jags fans. We needed someone with experience to change our culture, Del Rio was that guy. We all knew it wasn’t a long term solution. We just needed to taste winning again. 

I don't know that I'd call Del Rio a terrible head coach. Just a very, very mediocre one. He's not on the level of the guys that burn out in 3 years and never field a winning record, but he's not on the level of the guys who constantly win. Won't hold you back much but won't drive you forward much.

Honestly, I think the team would be better right now with Del Rio. Maybe not long term, but I don't think they start this poorly if not for Gruden.

Archived