Did Jack Del Rio get fired for good reason in Oakland?

patriotsheatyan

1 hour ago, Jakuvious said:

I don't know that I'd call Del Rio a terrible head coach. Just a very, very mediocre one. He's not on the level of the guys that burn out in 3 years and never field a winning record, but he's not on the level of the guys who constantly win. Won't hold you back much but won't drive you forward much.

Honestly, I think the team would be better right now with Del Rio. Maybe not long term, but I don't think they start this poorly if not for Gruden.

With Del Rio we are probably 3-1 but he isn't winning you a Super Bowl.

2 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

I don't know that I'd call Del Rio a terrible head coach. Just a very, very mediocre one. He's not on the level of the guys that burn out in 3 years and never field a winning record, but he's not on the level of the guys who constantly win. Won't hold you back much but won't drive you forward much.

Honestly, I think the team would be better right now with Del Rio. Maybe not long term, but I don't think they start this poorly if not for Gruden.

Disagree. We lack talent because in all honesty, reggie's last few drafts have sucked and JDR's coaching staffs have been instrumental in picking them. In contrast, Guenther has come in and put in a good scheme and done well with what we have on defense which is... not that much. In contrast, Gruden's offense is lightyears ahead of last years in terms of personnel groupings and playcalls. Our draft this year looks to be our best since 2014 (not saying a whole lot), but the staff and scouts collaborated to find the kind of players that Guenther wants on defense and so far the returns look far more promising than the host of defensive busts we've drafted.

JDR would have kept us mediocre forever, constantly outcoached, only winning because of talent and talent alone.

Gruden realized that our roster last year had far too many defensive holes to win with and so he blew the whole thing up, which I don't disagree with. The cap is not hindered by mediocre overpaid players going into the future, which would keep us respectable, but never in a position to truly peak. 2016 is as far as we'd ever get with JDR and that took many many miracles.

At least this way, I have faith in our coaches so that if we can obtain more talent, they will put them in positions to succeed. 

I also like the Gruden Carr relationship so far. More down the field shots and there are for sure some growing pains too, but Carr is becoming a more complete quarterback when you look at his on the field play rather than just pure statistics. Even with stats, he's on pace for 5500 yards and a passer rating of 90 with a career best YPA and completion percentage, despite an awful touchdown to interception ratio. The touchdown to pick ratio is bad, but he's learning how to make better decisions and we're moving the ball better. Carr is with his 4th OC in 5 years. Poor guy hasn't had a chance to settle down.

Gruden deserves flak for some personnel moves, but I see a lot of confirmation bias. Give this team a few years with the draft picks and cap space and see what they can do. 

10 hours ago, BayRaider said:

With Del Rio we are probably 3-1 but he isn't winning you a Super Bowl.

Really? With Del Rio, we're probably not as good on offense and there's no reason to think we'd be any better on D since his Ds were awful when he was in Oakland. I think we'd be winless if JDR was still the coach. Actually, since he lost the locker room last season, i'm sure we'd be winless at this point.

We have the #2 total offense in terms of yards right now behind the rams. Yes yards are a bit misleading on their own, like any offensive stat, but we are moving the ball. Gruden is a good playcaller, no matter what talking heads choose to say. If we can keep these totals up, the points will come to match them. McVay learned from this guy. He can adapt. He's a smart guy. Watch our offense and you'll see that, despite absolute horrendous run blocking this year.

17 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

Really? With Del Rio, we're probably not as good on offense and there's no reason to think we'd be any better on D since his Ds were awful when he was in Oakland. I think we'd be winless if JDR was still the coach. Actually, since he lost the locker room last season, i'm sure we'd be winless at this point.

I've read several times he "lost the locker room". What do you mean? How? 

I liked Del Rio and appreciate the culture change. And I think he can be one heck of a DC and will probably be one again. I really liked his style and hype at being our HC. But he's just not HC material. He can't multitask on the sidelines well enough to manage more than 1 side of the ball, and it showed. I kinda think of him as the Ed Orgeron of the NFL. I wish him the best in future endeavors, but we would have been stuck in neutral in the long run with him. 

On 9/30/2018 at 6:17 PM, FourThreeMafia said:

Jack Del Rio is/was alot like Jeff Fisher as a head coach.    I refer to coaches like this as "training wheel coaches".    I think they can help take a team from terrible to solid, but they arent good enough to get teams over the hump IMO.

I feel attacked...

21 hours ago, blizofoz45 said:

I'll always remember JDR as the coach who was doing a real life "chopping wood" analogy in front of the team and gashed his leg with the axe.

Like a scene out of a Adam Sandler movie.

It was the punter, Chris Hansen who cut him self with the axe. Missed the rest of the season.

On 9/30/2018 at 5:17 PM, FourThreeMafia said:

Jack Del Rio is/was alot like Jeff Fisher as a head coach.    I refer to coaches like this as "training wheel coaches".    I think they can help take a team from terrible to solid, but they arent good enough to get teams over the hump IMO.

However, I think they made a mistake getting rid of him in favor of a guy who proved the game passed him by in his last stint as a head coach.

Sort of two really poor man's version of Marty Schottenheimer. He could take a mediocre team and make them good/great, but never good enough to win a SB. Fisher and JDR can make a bad team average, an average team average, and a good team...average.  

Archived