NBA GDT | 18'-19 | I Love Mod Edits

FinneasGage

12 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

As long as we're in a guard and wing driven league, Jokic is going to have to be head and shoulders better than his wing/guard counterparts.  And a small sample size isn't going to change that opinion.  The Nuggets have Nikola Jokic and a bunch of good pieces.  You'd take the Nuggets' core.  I'd take the Lakers' core.

lmao I love it.

I don't think the league is all that guard driven. It's still a hybrid forward driven league in terms of dictating championships and may shift to bigger hybrid F when the Warriors reign ends, with Curry being the only exception of a championship caliber guard. There are a ton of talented guards all over the league but they're not going to be contending for anything unless they're paired with a championship caliber player. And personally I'd rather build my team around Jokic's Webber-esque versatility than Damian Lillard or Russell Westbrook or any other guard who appears to be driving this league.

Edited by Mossburg

@CWood21First of all I do respect you even if I disagree with you my response was quite early in the day I wasn’t planning on posting I had a long day ahead and while I did skim what I got from it was more or less Raps suck they won’t beat Boston, Kawhi is 100% gone, I’m a Laker fan I deserve all these nice things, etc. I see now that wasn’t totally the case. Otherwise I wouldn’t have dove on in.

My man @J-ALL-DAYbrought up up many good points in my absence I want to give props to him. 

I really do love this Raptor team. I understand the perception of this team and what 90% of people seem to believe about them and that the same 90% of people believe Boston will waltz to the Finals this year. There is nothing I can say after 3 games it’s almost a waste of time to start that debate in full but I’ll make a few points:

Are you saying that even if Toronto beats Boston in a 7 game series this year that Boston is still the better team?

I would take the Raptors top player Kawhi over Boston’s top player (not really sure who it is tbh but whoever you think it is I’m sure no one will debate me on this regardless).

I think Toronto and Boston have the two best benches or two of the top 3-4 benches in the NBA at worst and I firmly believe that 1-10 these teams are a lot closer than many think as I firmly believe Toronto has the best bench in the NBA. 

I cant argue that Boston’s top 4 players are more talented than Toronto’s top 4. 

The simple player X > player Y starting lineup thing doesn’t really provide a clear cut while if this is what it is than Boston is way better. Even if you believe Boston has the 4 better players and that only Kawhi would start on that team (I actually don’t but I’ll make that my hot take ending point). I really don’t think it’s a crazy huge insurmountable gap like Lowry, Green, Pascal and whoever starts are damn good players I don’t think they get enough credit. 

I think there is a Canadian bias I think guys like FVV and Wright and OG and Pascal, etc would all be viewed a lot higher if they played on a different team I also think maybe young prospects on a team like L.A. get overrated not saying these guys are good young players but they just have a lot of hype like if I said OG was better than Kuzma or even FVV is better than Wright L.A. fans would probably laugh in my face. 

I’d take Lowry over Irving. I don’t care. I said it. I believe it. 

Just now, kyle21121 said:

@CWood21First of all I do respect you even if I disagree with you my response was quite early in the day I wasn’t planning on posting I had a long day ahead and while I did skim what I got from it was more or less Raps suck they won’t beat Boston, Kawhi is 100% gone, I’m a Laker fan I deserve all these nice things, etc. I see now that wasn’t totally the case. Otherwise I wouldn’t have dove on in.

No offense taken.  Toronto is clearly the 2nd best team in the East IMO.  That's not a knock on Toronto, that's just my opinion of Boston.  They've got a more talented roster, more flexibility to make deadline deals, and they've got a better coaching situation.  Boston is in that same tier with Houston right now, which is a bit ahead of the Raptors right now.  Will that be the case 30 games from now?  Who knows.  And no, I don't think it's a foregone conclusion he leaves.  Or that he is going to the Lakers.  Quite frankly, I think there's a better chance that he teams up with Jimmy Butler in a Clippers' uniform.  I'm hoping that's not the case.  I legitimately don't know who the best FA signing Toronto has had, you'd know that better.  The "best" FA signing I remember them having was Garbajosa.

5 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Interesting, they're pretty notorious for their unabashed homerism so every non-Nuggets fan tends to hate on them. When fans show up, Pepsi Center is electric and combined with that elevation definitely one of the toughest places to play.

I don't mind when a team has biased home announcer, but the Nuggets guys did a really good job praising the Warriors.  I think it was a pretty entertaining and well called game by them.

Biggest name FA or most successful? Again it really isn’t a great list I really do believe Toronto gets an unfair rap but saying Garbo that does kind of sting I mean Jose Calderon > Garbo in terms of Spanish FA signings alone for Toronto.

If you would count Kawhi if he resigns as a UFA then I would likely say DD as he didn’t necessarily have to resign. We have had a bunch of big names sign but we’re on the tail end or past their primes. 

1 hour ago, Mossburg said:

I don't think the league is all that guard driven. It's still a hybrid forward driven league in terms of dictating championships and may shift to bigger hybrid F when the Warriors reign ends, with Curry being the only exception of a championship caliber guard. There are a ton of talented guards all over the league but they're not going to be contending for anything unless they're paired with a championship caliber player. And personally I'd rather build my team around Jokic's Webber-esque versatility than Damian Lillard or Russell Westbrook or any other guard who appears to be driving this league.

Yeah if we’re generalizing about positional value I think the development of unicorn bigs like Embiid, AD, Jokic, Draymond etc are at a similar level of value as wings/guards and seems to next big evolution of the game.

Edited by amac

15 minutes ago, amac said:

Yeah if we’re generalizing about positional value I think the development of unicorn bigs like Embiid, AD, Jokic, Draymond etc are at a similar level of value as wings/guards and seems to next big evolution of the game.

Think that is the first time I have ever heard Draymond called a unicorn big. Isn't he a generous 6'7? I get your point though, and would agree.

34 minutes ago, kyle21121 said:

Biggest name FA or most successful? Again it really isn’t a great list I really do believe Toronto gets an unfair rap but saying Garbo that does kind of sting I mean Jose Calderon > Garbo in terms of Spanish FA signings alone for Toronto.

If you would count Kawhi if he resigns as a UFA then I would likely say DD as he didn’t necessarily have to resign. We have had a bunch of big names sign but we’re on the tail end or past their primes. 

I'm talking about players Toronto has signed away from another team.  Most of the acquisitions that Toronto has made have been either through the draft or via trade.

17 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Think that is the first time I have ever heard Draymond called a unicorn big. Isn't he a generous 6'7? I get your point though, and would agree.

In the sense that he can protect the rim, guard 1-5, and make plays as a passer.   His utilization/development under Kerr was one of the biggest differences between Kerr’s Warriors and Mark Jacksons

I think dynamic bigs who can punish small ball could be the next big tactical shift in the league

1 hour ago, kyle21121 said:

My man @J-ALL-DAYbrought up up many good points in my absence I want to give props to him. 

I really do love this Raptor team. I understand the perception of this team and what 90% of people seem to believe about them and that the same 90% of people believe Boston will waltz to the Finals this year. There is nothing I can say after 3 games it’s almost a waste of time to start that debate in full but I’ll make a few points:

Are you saying that even if Toronto beats Boston in a 7 game series this year that Boston is still the better team?

I would take the Raptors top player Kawhi over Boston’s top player (not really sure who it is tbh but whoever you think it is I’m sure no one will debate me on this regardless).

I think Toronto and Boston have the two best benches or two of the top 3-4 benches in the NBA at worst and I firmly believe that 1-10 these teams are a lot closer than many think as I firmly believe Toronto has the best bench in the NBA. 

I cant argue that Boston’s top 4 players are more talented than Toronto’s top 4. 

The simple player X > player Y starting lineup thing doesn’t really provide a clear cut while if this is what it is than Boston is way better. Even if you believe Boston has the 4 better players and that only Kawhi would start on that team (I actually don’t but I’ll make that my hot take ending point). I really don’t think it’s a crazy huge insurmountable gap like Lowry, Green, Pascal and whoever starts are damn good players I don’t think they get enough credit. 

I think there is a Canadian bias I think guys like FVV and Wright and OG and Pascal, etc would all be viewed a lot higher if they played on a different team I also think maybe young prospects on a team like L.A. get overrated not saying these guys are good young players but they just have a lot of hype like if I said OG was better than Kuzma or even FVV is better than Wright L.A. fans would probably laugh in my face. 

I’d take Lowry over Irving. I don’t care. I said it. I believe it. 

I was with you until the last part lol. Kyrie is a postseason assassin....Lowry simply disappears far too often. Kyrie>>>>Lowry. But Kawhi>>Kyrie. 

Great Boston has a hard enough time getting shots for all their players, so what does Brad Stevens do tighten a rotation no he plays all 12 guys so far in the First Ave what the **** is he thinking oh and Boston is losing at the moment at home to Orlando who is so clearly that idea was dumb

Edited by resilient part 2