Drew Brees - new all time passing yardage leader

Mid Iowa

On 10/11/2018 at 9:50 AM, SkippyX said:

We are fine tuning top 5 arguments over his place alongside guys like Brady, Montana, Manning, Marino, Rodgers,, and Favre.

Brees is fantastic and he could still play 2-4 more years at a high level.

I think its clear to almost everyone that legends like Warner and Young get in line behind Brees.

The thing about Era discussions of Montana and Brees is that they open up a can of worms like '70s Bradshaw vs '80s Montana. The passing gap between those decades is far greater than from the '80s to today. (maybe not in yardage, but in completion %, TD/INT, and rating overall)

To me Brees plays QB far better than Montana did. Also better than Marino and Favre. We can say that QBs in this era are better across the board than QBs from a previous era, and that is true - but doesn't Brees being near the top of that further validate his standing?

As for Brees vs. Montana specifically, that's hard for me to take seriously because Jerry Rice had seasons playing for Montana that Brees has never come close to having from a WR.

I'm someone who has been generally unimpressed with the skill players that have played with Brees (and Brady for that matter).

43 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Manning got a round of applause, waived to the fans, threw the ball to the sideline and was onto the next play. I think it was under 1min long.

Brady won't even have a celebration outside of the crowd and the commentary. Onto the next play.

2 hours ago, Asciimo said:

Brady won't even have a celebration outside of the crowd and the commentary. Onto the next play.

lol I cant post the video but you can look it up on youtube because of copyright but Peyton was literally trying to get to the LOS for the next play and the coaches took a timeout and he almost looked pissed off they stopped the game for it. He gave a wave, threw the ball to the sideline and was back in the huddle. Sort of weird but Brees' was a TD so and Peytons was mid drive so it could be circumstances at the level of celebration.

5 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

lol I cant post the video but you can look it up on youtube because of copyright but Peyton was literally trying to get to the LOS for the next play and the coaches took a timeout and he almost looked pissed off they stopped the game for it. He gave a wave, threw the ball to the sideline and was back in the huddle. Sort of weird but Brees' was a TD so and Peytons was mid drive so it could be circumstances at the level of celebration.

It probably didn't help that Manning did it with Denver not the Colts. Had it been with the team where he spent most of his career I think there would be some added effect to it like Brees had breaking it at home with the Saints.

1 minute ago, tyler735 said:

It probably didn't help that Manning did it with Denver not the Colts. Had it been with the team where he spent most of his career I think there would be some added effect to it like Brees had breaking it at home with the Saints.

IDK if thats true, I think it was because it was in the middle of the drive on a 5 yard out. Not a super climactic TD pass. When Peyton broke the TD record there was a lot of fireworks and ceremony, the game of keepaway, ect and he was in Denver.

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

IDK if thats true, I think it was because it was in the middle of the drive on a 5 yard out. Not a super climactic TD pass. When Peyton broke the TD record there was a lot of fireworks and ceremony, the game of keepaway, ect and he was in Denver.

Definitely could have also played a factor, but he was the face of the Colts for well over a decade, and brought relevance back to that franchise, I think we see a much bigger deal out of it if he was still there when he broke it.

On 10/11/2018 at 7:53 PM, Jlowe22 said:

Yes, it can certainly help your bulk stats.  It lowers your chance of winning the game though.  And everyone wants to win the game.

the value of wins and stats varies from person to person. winning and especially winning SBs matters, but if you're in an unfavorable situation with your defenses being literally some of the worst ever over the course of a 4 year span (ones that have allowed the 4th most points/2nd most yards/5th fewest takeaways/most yards per play allowed since 2006), i don't think it's reasonable to place the blame on the QB there. i don't know why it would be. it's entirely out of his control, especially when you consider the Saints have also had the ball for the 2nd longest time since 2006.

with that said, yes he has advantages like HAVING to throw for so many yards, having a consistent offensive coach, having the dome, all of which matter. but when you look in history at what other all-time great QBs have had, most had better defenses, most have had a consistent good/great coach, many have had a dome or a good environment like the west coast for passing. every great QB is usually going to have many things working for them, otherwise, it's going to be hard to be considered great.

however, the impressive part about this record to me is his durability, consistency, and efficiency to me, not the yards. passing yards is a volume stat and he has over a season's worth of attempts over anybody else since 2006. still a great achievement, i'm glad he's the one holding the record and unless Brady actually plays well until he's 45 then he'll probably hold it for a while.

1 hour ago, Belichick said:

the value of wins and stats varies from person to person. winning and especially winning SBs matters, but if you're in an unfavorable situation with your defenses being literally some of the worst ever over the course of a 4 year span (ones that have allowed the 4th most points/2nd most yards/5th fewest takeaways/most yards per play allowed since 2006), i don't think it's reasonable to place the blame on the QB there. i don't know why it would be. it's entirely out of his control, especially when you consider the Saints have also had the ball for the 2nd longest time since 2006.

with that said, yes he has advantages like HAVING to throw for so many yards, having a consistent offensive coach, having the dome, all of which matter. but when you look in history at what other all-time great QBs have had, most had better defenses, most have had a consistent good/great coach, many have had a dome or a good environment like the west coast for passing. every great QB is usually going to have many things working for them, otherwise, it's going to be hard to be considered great.

however, the impressive part about this record to me is his durability, consistency, and efficiency to me, not the yards. passing yards is a volume stat and he has over a season's worth of attempts over anybody else since 2006. still a great achievement, i'm glad he's the one holding the record and unless Brady actually plays well until he's 45 then he'll probably hold it for a while.

I agree.

I think ten years from now we'll look back on the "Brees GOAT" arguments like we do with the "Favre GOAT" arguments from 2009, with a hearty chuckle.

At best he's around 7th or 8th best quarterback of all time. His record-beating pace is a tribute to the inflation of the passing game more than anything else.

Brees is amazing and in the upper echelon of QB's ever, but he isn't the GOAT nor should he be in the conversation. I know someone will take that as some sort of attack on Brees but whatever. His resume for the GOAT isn't even close to Brady's (the actual GOAT). 

Like it or not, to be the GOAT you need both the stats AND accomplishments.

Archived