Stock Investing

rickyt31

13 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

You're not wrong about buy and hold, it's tried and true. But for every Roku and Tesla there is a Luckin Coffee, NKLA, AMC, Enron etc. Investing heavily in individual companies is just as much gambling and speculation as trying to trade them short term. Anything can happen overnight that sends your investment to $0. You either have to have a heavily diversified portfolio with hedged assets such as gold or puts. Or you need to be in mutual, Index Funds, and ETF's to be safely investing. You're invested in very volatile, over valued tech stocks that could drop at any moment. That isn't exactly text book investing...

Also to my knowledge neither Roku or Tesla pays a dividend?

They don’t.  I dabble in individual stocks just like everyone, but that’s pennies compared to my “safe” investing.  

I have invested probably 30,000 dollars into individual stocks.  Maybe 4,000 in cryptocurrency.  Everything else is in ETFs, mutual funds, bonds, etc.  I’m not saying don’t buy individual stocks, I’m saying make that the game, the “safer bets” your life.

I play the get rich game, too.  I throw 500 at a Sundial Growers, 200 on Zomedica, etc.  I have a lot of disposable income that I literally don’t spend and it makes more sense to gamble it on some stocks than get a tiny interest rate in savings.  At the same time, if I sell off every profit I’m really not going to be making much.  But if I just throw it in there and wait, 99 of them could fail miserably, but if 1 of them turns into something sustainable, long term, I’ve paid for the 99 and have profits out my butt.

And that’s kinda what I’m getting at, too.  Diversification.  People in here have said they have less than a dozen stocks or so at a time.  That’s a recipe for complete and total disaster.  I’ve got ETFs out my butt, gold, platinum, silver, palladium, mining companies, electric companies, water, high dividend yields, bonds, individual stocks, cryptocurrency... I get into everything.  I even recently started buying up retail stock.  Still not impressed with cruise lines, but I go at every sector, every avenue, everything.

I’m certainly not saying to not buy individual stocks and see what you can get, I just feel like this wheeling and dealing mentality I’m reading in here is going to backfire and hurt some wallets.

• Like 4

But also consider not selling sell all your stocks on the same time if you don't have to and still believe in the company's outlook. Say you purchased 10 stock of Tesla back when it was trading around $150, that's a $1,500 investment.

In mid-November it reached $450, you're up 300% and sees something else that you really want to invest in. You could sell off 3 of those stock to release $1,350. Put $250 into something safe and use the remaining $1,100 to your new investment. 

That way, you get over some of the seller's remorse as Tesla continues to climb up to $850 as you're still sitting on 7 stocks and whatever you purchased with your other $1100 could go either way. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, evilflamingo said:

Hey, little lamb, there is still room for you on both the 49er and GME bandwagons 😀

GME up another 10% Yesterday and currently close to +4% pre-market. This is just such an exhilarating ride and fun experiment as much as it is an actual investment.   

I usually stay away from penny stocks but have dabbled on occasion, with varying results... What's the play with BIOL? 

Webinars. Meetings. 

I think we’re all different... I’ve had more success day/swing trading. It’s fun to me. But I’ve been listening to Peter Lynch a lot and he’s so against it lol. He’s so against options as well. I love it. Also, listening to that Boggle guy is interesting. I just feel like if I could take 3k and run it up I could get more in one week! Swing trading than most long holds get in a month or 3(depending the stock). I read that 80% of day traders lose money. I sharted when I heard that. It’s that you’re flying too close to the sun story. And they’re all right. But I’m just enjoying this Bull market that’ll probably never happen again... So I’m super charging my buying power with quick plays. But taxes they finna get me... Everyone is different. I just hate that brainwashed mentality that you have to fall in line. Long term

hold. Long term hold. Buy and hold forever. Like nah..... even though I started a small lol Webull account of 200$ and it’s done really good lol. Going to start putting more money in it as stocks I won’t touch. Just hate webulls UI. 

35169-C76-51-F7-486-F-B685-613-EF3-DFA55

1 hour ago, Shockwave said:

You're not wrong about buy and hold, it's tried and true. But for every Roku and Tesla there is a Luckin Coffee, NKLA, AMC, Enron etc. Investing heavily in individual companies is just as much gambling and speculation as trying to trade them short term. Anything can happen overnight that sends your investment to $0. You either have to have a heavily diversified portfolio with hedged assets such as gold or puts. Or you need to be in mutual, Index Funds, and ETF's to be safely investing. You're invested in very volatile, over valued tech stocks that could drop at any moment. That isn't exactly text book investing...

Also to my knowledge neither Roku or Tesla pays a dividend?

Anyone else feel like Tesla will ever collapse lol?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

Yes. I will say that the website is still in "beta", so it requires some patience. I think the creators did not expect this type of user growth to occur so quickly. I'm still learning myself, but I think it could have the potential to be big because it's combining some pretty big markets: NFT (non fungible tokens), card collectors, and crypto people.

I could also be dead wrong- but I'd rather be early than right. They have a parternship with the NBA and some NBA players on board (Herro, Dinwiddie, etc.). 

I'm on board with this thesis:

https://luckymaverick.substack.com/p/nft

Also I would recommend searching for the "The First Mint" on youtube for beginner tutorials of the site. His podcast is a really good resource too. I've already made my money back from a couple pack pulls and I've just been buying and flipping cards in the market place.

Will look into it. But I’m kinda scared to pay big bucks for a YouTube highlight. 

I’m deciding to be more careful since I understand this is a bull market. I sold out of 3 stocks I’m not passionate about at a small profit and shortly after they all tanked dramatically lol. 

I bought more ZOM in the dip since I figure it’s not risky as a p&d yet. I think within 3 months I will have pulled the majority of my original investment and just let what I’ve made since ride as my sole investment money. I have 2/3 of my life savings in right now (which isn’t much lol) and I think it would be wise to not play with that too much. 

11 minutes ago, Pickle Rick said:

Waited all morning  and nothing so far.  

What could he possibly be doing though, you think it would have been all but finalized if he announced it yesterday afternoon and was planning on revealing it this morning. It's making IPOF go down for some reason.

Edited by UncleAdamz