Stock Investing

rickyt31

57 minutes ago, mission27 said:

AndI was right

The S&P was at like 2300 on January 1, 2017 and people were predicting a crash like crazy. It's still at 2700. 

10 hours ago, theJ said:

Everything's on sale?

Gonna have to jump on my account tomorrow and move some of my cash into something.

You moving the emergency fund in temporarily or do you just have some cash laying around?

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

You moving the emergency fund in temporarily or do you just have some cash laying around?

I just have some cash lying around.  I try to steadily invest every month, but there are quite a few months where the money goes into the account and i forget to put it in one of my investments.  So it's just in my brokerage account lying there as cash.

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The S&P was at like 2300 on January 1, 2017 and people were predicting a crash like crazy. It's still at 2700. 

If you look at the 3, 5 and 10 year charts, this is a minor blip.  It's slightly below where it started the year, but just barely.

Weeks like this I am greatful for being a daytrader. Puts ... puts... puts galore. I made so much riding AMD down. Also you guys that are long term investors should really be selling calls on any holding you have with 100 shares or more. Especially if they are div paying stocks. Easy money as you wait for the market to rip again.

17 hours ago, mission27 said:

I’d rather get out 400 points before the top than 1000 points after tbh

If Apple reports a bleak 4th quarter guidance on Thursday the S&P is going to plummet and the nextr area of support isn't pretty. Add in the possibility of the dems taking over the house threatening the tax cuts rd 1 and 2, plus rolling back the deregulation that has inflated so many equities, brexit, fed rates, tariffs... just so many reasons for the market to keep selling off right now. I wouldn't be long much other then solid div paying equities. Sell calls on what you own and use the proceeds to average down on your holdings and ride out the storm... or go cash or reverse ETF's. Cause IMHO it's more likely to get more ugly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shockey1979 said:

If Apple reports a bleak 4th quarter guidance on Thursday the S&P is going to plummet and the nextr area of support isn't pretty. Add in the possibility of the dems taking over the house threatening the tax cuts rd 1 and 2, plus rolling back the deregulation that has inflated so many equities, brexit, fed rates, tariffs... just so many reasons for the market to keep selling off right now. I wouldn't be long much other then solid div paying equities. Sell calls on what you own and use the proceeds to average down on your holdings and ride out the storm... or go cash or reverse ETF's. Cause IMHO it's more likely to get more ugly.

I liquidated everything last December, feeling pretty good about it.  Just hold cash or treasuries and wait it out.  Will be safe to get back in in 6-12 months when the world has burned down.

• Like 1

I’m good at saving money... 100% unsure on wtf this thread is about. I know my money isn’t being put to its best use 

Investing seems like the next step to being an adult with my finances, rather than just stashing it away. 

What’s everyones favorite resources for beginners? 

I opened up a Robinhood account for the free stocks and referral stocks, but not locked in obviously as I have no idea what I’m doing. That and the M1 both seems like solid place for beginners to get a feel for things. Any advice here?

Been reading a bunch of finance news and taking a closer look at a lot of the stocks some of those places mention. Getting my feet wet. Any sites I should be paying more attention to for news and learning? Any good YouTubers who’s info can be trusted as far as learning fundamentals and smart practices? What else can I be doing other than immersing myself in the finance sections of sites and newspapers?

Edited by Dome

3 hours ago, Dome said:

I’m good at saving money... 100% unsure on wtf this thread is about. I know my money isn’t being put to its best use 

Investing seems like the next step to being an adult with my finances, rather than just stashing it away. 

What’s everyones favorite resources for beginners? 

I opened up a Robinhood account for the free stocks and referral stocks, but not locked in obviously as I have no idea what I’m doing. That and the M1 both seems like solid place for beginners to get a feel for things. Any advice here?

Been reading a bunch of finance news and taking a closer look at a lot of the stocks some of those places mention. Getting my feet wet. Any sites I should be paying more attention to for news and learning? Any good YouTubers who’s info can be trusted as far as learning fundamentals and smart practices? What else can I be doing other than immersing myself in the finance sections of sites and newspapers?

this post makes me feel bad because i just like to spend everything

• Like 1