Stock Investing

rickyt31

12 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Not if the Fed starts raising rates

They're 100% going to raise the rates at least 2-3 times this year. I'm glad I refinanced my house to a 2.25% fixed rate last December, but I'm also kind of bummed out that I can't do a cash back refi option now because I'd be taking it on the chin on a 3.1% rate right now, so I'm boxed in.

#1stWorldProblems

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Americans tuning in to the Super Bowl on Sunday will be inundated with ads from cryptocurrency companies, including the trading platform FTX, which plans to give away millions of dollars in bitcoin. “We want to make sure that we’re painting, hopefully, a healthy image of ourselves and the industry,” said Bankman-Fried, 29, who has a net worth of more than $24 billion, according to Forbes. “We’re optimistic that we’re going to be able to grow our U.S. business — a lot of that is working with U.S. regulators on bringing new products to market.” Some of FTX’s competitors are also expected to advertise during the Super Bowl. Coinbase Global and the Canadian exchange Bitbuy will also advertise, according to the Wall Street Journal. The FTX ad promises to give bitcoin to four winners, equivalent to the time that the ad is shown during the second half of the game. If the ad appears at 9:45 p.m., for example, each winner will get 9.45 bitcoin.

31 minutes ago, twslhs20 said:

Maybe the wrong thread.

The CPI is at a 40 year high at 7.5%

I want to know why this is shockingly bad and how we got here.

Not going to speak on why it's so high but.. I figured the market would tank on the news so I bought an SPX put premarket. When the number hit the bid/ask got super wide so I panic sold for like $500 profit. If I held like 30 seconds more the bid ask tightened back up and I would have been up $4500 on the contract. Uggh gut punch. 🙃

Anyone been buying? I've been nibbling at decent dividend payers (T, VZ, LUMN,ORCL,GILD,WM,WBA,KBE) and some of the really beaten down growth stocks (PYPL,NKLA,CHWY,CHGG). Not going in heavy on any of them just buying chunks here and there on red days.

This is going to be a very different market now with the FED tightening. Div payers, utilities, and banks on my radar for the foreseeable future.

On 2/11/2022 at 10:42 AM, Shockwave said:

Anyone been buying? I've been nibbling at decent dividend payers (T, VZ, LUMN,ORCL,GILD,WM,WBA,KBE) and some of the really beaten down growth stocks (PYPL,NKLA,CHWY,CHGG). Not going in heavy on any of them just buying chunks here and there on red days.

This is going to be a very different market now with the FED tightening. Div payers, utilities, and banks on my radar for the foreseeable future.

I've been loading up on the cheap, low P/E, high dividend players like VZ, SHEL and C. Growth stocks have been getting their ***** whooped

Also, I really hope you guys bought gold. 10% of my emergency fund is tied to gold and the price of it went up 2.5% this past month. People are getting terrified over the Russia/Ukraine fiasco, Justin Trudeau turning into a dictator and the aforementioned Fed tightening.

Edited by biggie.

56 minutes ago, UncleAdamz said:

I remember a couple of people on here who were in SKLZ at one point, its gone from $45 to $2.5 as of right now. Absolutely insane how things have changed

This is why I believe investing in companies, especially stuff like this, isn't worth it.

Is it pointless to invest in a blend, growth AND value ETFs?

2 hours ago, UncleAdamz said:

Not looking good today either…

I'm buying pretty heavily now into dividend paying value stocks and ETF's. My rationale is it's either a great buying opportunity or we're heading for an event where money will no longer matter.

Edited by Shockwave
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Shockwave said:

I'm buying pretty heavily now into dividend paying value stocks and ETF's. My rationale is it's either a great buying opportunity or we're heading for an event where money will no longer matter.

Been buying pretty consistently, just standard total market ETFs. In a weird war, war will likely help with the tech correction we've been due by increasing demand for manufacturers.

47 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Been buying pretty consistently, just standard total market ETFs. In a weird war, war will likely help with the tech correction we've been due by increasing demand for manufacturers.

Been nibbling at some tech but I'm weary to go in hard. I fear China is going to make their move for Taiwan very soon as well. I bought some Paypal and Ebay. Aside from that I'd rather play tech with an ETF like XLK. Tempted to scoop up some ARKK but man that .70% expense ratio is a tough pill to swallow.

3 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Man United dropped their Russian airline sponsor. Stock dropped over 8%.

No-brainer that this is bouncing off the floor soon as a new sponsor is signed.

Biden just announced all US-based Russian assets are frozen and Boris Johnson has been advocating for kicking Russia out of SWIFT. 

Very real chance that Chelsea FC is entirely frozen, and not off the table that it's seized if this continues to escalate.