Stock Investing

rickyt31

Just now, TVScout said:

I must emend my post. The USA went through a severe depression from Jan 1920 through July 1921. That downturn has been traditionally blamed on WW1.  But the influenza epidemic raged from Jan 1918 to Dec 1920. I don't care what the economists claim. That cannot be a mere coincidence. Whether that pandemic had an effect on the economy or not, history shows the US economy made a very robust recovery. If this pandemic causes a depression I expect a very rapid recovery. 

That was before my time.

@ET80, what do you remember? ;) 

• Like 2

Why does nobody ever want to suggest stocks in the stock investment thread?

Edit: That’s not a complaint of the opium jokes, I’m referring to why nobody seems to discuss which stocks they purchase.  

Edited by Outpost31

8 hours ago, mission27 said:

Yesterdays close probably was the bottom, or no more than 5-10% away from the bottom IMO.  I agree with TLO.  Now is the time to get back into the markets.  We are turning the corner.

Margins are finally starting to come down for us “retail traders” 🤫

12 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Edit: That’s not a complaint of the opium jokes, I’m referring to why nobody seems to discuss which stocks they purchase.  

Because most people don’t know what they’re doing. Oh and if they do CFTC rules regulate they state it 😉

7 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

Because most people don’t know what they’re doing. Oh and if they do CFTC rules regulate they state it 😉

Yeah but for the people who do know what they’re doing, too.  

If there’s anybody here who knows what they’re doing, I’d like to know what they’re doing.  I’m a novice with a lot of expendable income (no kids lol).  I’d like some advice for some of my bigger investments.  

Otherwise I’m just going with general novice level stuff.  I’ve decided that the 20,000 I have in savings isn’t doing me any good and something closer to 5,000 in savings is a realistic amount to have in case of an emergency.

I like to think I’m doing pretty good with my investments by doing it all myself, but as with everything in life I’m not afraid to admit I don’t know what I don’t know, especially if it can make me money.  

Edited by Outpost31

Well, I think what Newsom just did, if it becomes a trend nationally, changes the picture 

If we are really going to accept an indefinite lockdown of the entire country and shutdown of industry we are dooming ourselves to another great depression and hard to like the market in that scenario at any price

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

If there’s anybody here who knows what they’re doing, I’d like to know what they’re doing.  I’m a novice with a lot of expendable income (no kids lol).  I’d like some advice for some of my bigger investments.  

Otherwise I’m just going with general novice level stuff.  I’ve decided that the 20,000 I have in savings isn’t doing me any good and something closer to 5,000 in savings is a realistic amount to have in case of an emergency.

I like to think I’m doing pretty good with my investments by doing it all myself, but as with everything in life I’m not afraid to admit I don’t know what I don’t know, especially if it can make me money.  

I’ll pm my account number. I’ll set you up. 

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I think most of us stick to sp500 ETFs and the like. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I just bought a crapton of JPM. It's severely undervalued. 

8 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

That's a lot of money to lose. I'd be careful

8 hours ago, mission27 said:

Well, I think what Newsom just did, if it becomes a trend nationally, changes the picture 

If we are really going to accept an indefinite lockdown of the entire country and shutdown of industry we are dooming ourselves to another great depression and hard to like the market in that scenario at any price

Oh so were not 5%off the bottom anymore? Huh 

8 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

As wu tang said

CASH RULES EVERYTHING AROUND ME

7 hours ago, TLO said:

I think most of us stick to sp500 ETFs and the like. 

Yeah this is my philosophy.

Index funds, my company’s stock from their ESPP and a swing for the fences long term gamble a throw a few bucks into every now and then.  I view that much like a lottery ticket, if it hits, wonderful.  If not, it’s just been bucks here and there, nbd.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

If your looking for high risk returns I would stick to Bitcoin in that regard. It's almost back up to to double of what anyone put in at 3800 where it hit a few days ago.