Stock Investing

rickyt31

3 hours ago, Elky said:

Check out JNUG; it's an index fund of gold and silver mining companies. They're only $7 per share and they were at $50/share back in mid March.

It peaked in October 2013 at $4219 then in the fall of 2013 is plummeted.A few years later in August 2016 it peaked again at $665 per share.

I'm curious what caused those drops.

19 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

ICD-Drilling Company was as $2 a week ago and is up to $12. Would’ve been nice if I knew about this company. I bought some in Halliburton.

I have a few HAL shares. This decrease in oil makes me think only a few giants will remain when it's all said and done. I'm considering selling my MRO and putting it into more HAL or SQ.

On 4/13/2020 at 5:00 PM, Elky said:

Check out JNUG; it's an index fund of gold and silver mining companies. They're only $7 per share and they were at $50/share back in mid March.

JNUG is a leveraged ETF that returns 2X the daily movement of the junior gold miners index . It is NOT meant to invest in. It has an incredibly high expense ratio and rapidly decays over time like options do. It will reverse split to reset the share price when it gets low enough. But... as a short term trading vehicle it's amazing. I scalp and day trade leveraged ETF's all day including JNUG. But I'm at my best trading oil so I mostly mess with UCO and SCO. 

If you want to invest in gold etfs then GLD, GDX and GDXJ are the safest bets. Barrick and Newmont are the high standard equities.

Edited by Shockey1979
  • Like 2

Put some $ into Boeing yesterday at $136. Today they announced they’re reopening some plants today & prices shot up to $150.

I feel like an adult

Edited by Glen

1 hour ago, Glen said:

I feel like an adult

congrats !
Ride the wave and then make sure to bail out before the next reality storm hits

https://apnews.com/f5367407517cc4b3a06a5048820665b4

FRANKFURT, Germany (AP) — "German airline group Lufthansa said it was permanently removing some of its large aircraft from service and reducing capacity for the long term, saying it will take years for demand for air travel to return to levels seen before the coronavirus pandemic. The company was unable to say what eventually would happen to the planes given lack of demand for aircraft at the moment but it was clear they would not fly for Lufthansa again.
Its Eurowings low-cost division would retire 10 Airbus A320s, while its SWISS, Austrian Airlines and Brussels Airlines group members would also reduce their fleets, in the case of SWISS by foregoing delivery of already ordered aircraft. "

my guess is there is going to be a glut of slightly used aircraft available as all of the majors scale back their fleets

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

congrats !
Ride the wave and then make sure to bail out before the next reality storm hits

https://apnews.com/f5367407517cc4b3a06a5048820665b4

FRANKFURT, Germany (AP) — "German airline group Lufthansa said it was permanently removing some of its large aircraft from service and reducing capacity for the long term, saying it will take years for demand for air travel to return to levels seen before the coronavirus pandemic. The company was unable to say what eventually would happen to the planes given lack of demand for aircraft at the moment but it was clear they would not fly for Lufthansa again.
Its Eurowings low-cost division would retire 10 Airbus A320s, while its SWISS, Austrian Airlines and Brussels Airlines group members would also reduce their fleets, in the case of SWISS by foregoing delivery of already ordered aircraft. "

my guess is there is going to be a glut of slightly used aircraft available as all of the majors scale back their fleets

Thanks. Planning on holding onto them and dropping if they hit $180ish again.

Thankfully I’m only in my mid 20s and still have a stable job at the moment so it’s not a huge nuisance if I need to hold onto them for years to get any decent return on them.

8 hours ago, Glen said:

Thanks. Planning on holding onto them and dropping if they hit $180ish again.

Thankfully I’m only in my mid 20s and still have a stable job at the moment so it’s not a huge nuisance if I need to hold onto them for years to get any decent return on them.

To add to what shanedorf was saying, boeing was already having a ton of problems before their industry took a huge hit. The 737 debacle set their brand back imo. Their response to it was poor initially, but they eventually did the right thing. That plane had a ton of mechanical issues. Was a complete mess. 

The issue with boeing is that there is little growth opportunity for them in a shrinking marketplace. The best case scenario for them is that they stay the same. That's not a position I want to be holding for the long run. I am mid-late 20s and I am looking for more growth opportunities. You want to buy the tech today that will be a cornerstone tomorrow. 

I am buying NVDA and AMD right now. I live NVDA a lot more, but AMD has a slightly different target market in mind. MRVL is also going to be a big player in 5g in a few years. Buying all three of those right no is a much better use of capital, imo. If you want to invest in aero, buy Lockheed martin instead imo

I am hoping to find an ultracapacitor company to bet on. Its the perfect battery (in theory). Made of carbon so its super clean to produce and dispose of. Charges 10x faster and holds more juice. I believe they are mostly unaffected by extreme temperatures as well. Very expensive to make right now but someone, eventually is going to crack the code on how to make them cost-effectively. 

There was only one publicly traded American company that was making them and they were quickly snatched up by TSLA.  I read Musk initially went to Stanford to study ultracapacitors. I would imagine Elon was smart enough to build his Gigafactory with capacity for them in the future. If that company cracks the code and then suddenly is selling batteries that go in literally everything from cellphones to laptops? Talk about growth opportunity. 

Europe is trying to reduce their dependence on Asia with regards to battery production and has been doing a ton of research on ultracapacitors for a while. They may beat TSLA to the punch

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N4L said:

To add to what shanedorf was saying, boeing was already having a ton of problems before their industry took a huge hit. The 737 debacle set their brand back imo. Their response to it was poor initially, but they eventually did the right thing. That plane had a ton of mechanical issues. Was a complete mess. 

The issue with boeing is that there is little growth opportunity for them in a shrinking marketplace. The best case scenario for them is that they stay the same. That's not a position I want to be holding for the long run. I am mid-late 20s and I am looking for more growth opportunities. You want to buy the tech today that will be a cornerstone tomorrow. 

I am buying NVDA and AMD right now. I live NVDA a lot more, but AMD has a slightly different target market in mind. MRVL is also going to be a big player in 5g in a few years. Buying all three of those right no is a much better use of capital, imo. If you want to invest in aero, buy Lockheed martin instead imo

I am hoping to find an ultracapacitor company to bet on. Its the perfect battery (in theory). Made of carbon so its super clean to produce and dispose of. Charges 10x faster and holds more juice. I believe they are mostly unaffected by extreme temperatures as well. Very expensive to make right now but someone, eventually is going to crack the code on how to make them cost-effectively. 

There was only one publicly traded American company that was making them and they were quickly snatched up by TSLA.  I read Musk initially went to Stanford to study ultracapacitors. I would imagine Elon was smart enough to build his Gigafactory with capacity for them in the future. If that company cracks the code and then suddenly is selling batteries that go in literally everything from cellphones to laptops? Talk about growth opportunity. 

Europe is trying to reduce their dependence on Asia with regards to battery production and has been doing a ton of research on ultracapacitors for a while. They may beat TSLA to the punch

Good to take into account. Certainly was not going to sit on it & hope it hit $300 again. In my mind I had a $180ish figure, close to where they peaked at late last month, hopefully make some money there & dump all of them then.

Will look into the tech market for sure. This is all relatively new to me as for the last year(sans pandemic) I've essentially just been putting my money into index funds. 

• Like 1

I want to know why people are buying stock in AMC.  I get it if they're buying large numbers at a time anticipating a small boost they can make a quick profit on, but theater companies are basically video rental stores right now. 

They'll live for a while longer than video rental stores did because movie studios will do everything they can to hold onto that box office, but theater companies like AMC are not ever going to be anything worth investing in.

And I don't ever see them coming back. 

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

I want to know why people are buying stock in AMC.  I get it if they're buying large numbers at a time anticipating a small boost they can make a quick profit on, but theater companies are basically video rental stores right now. 

They'll live for a while longer than video rental stores did because movie studios will do everything they can to hold onto that box office, but theater companies like AMC are not ever going to be anything worth investing in.

And I don't ever see them coming back. 

I would assume for what you mentioned. Stock has been slowly falling for awhile now. Would assume people are buying it at $3 in hopes it jumps to $3.50 when things start to open up again and they'll sell off what they have.