Bye Week Assessment Thread

Leader

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Gute needs to get on the horn with teams that are struggling/rebuilding. Oakland, Arizona, Buffalo, NYG and see if they are willing to move pass rushers for cap relief and picks. This team doesn't have the rush to win anything. My only hope is either A, we get something at the deadline, or B, we get Alexander and Breeland back, move Tramon around and can blitz routinely and not be burned on the back end.

Can you elaborate on the bolded part?  Do you mean have him be a rover/blitzer ala Woodson, or do you see him being a coverage safety playing the back third?

I ask because with the way he sees things...and how he can still move forward, I think he could be a good deep safety.  Pair him with Dix.  Let's Dix play up more.  Get King, Jackson, Alexander and Breeland on the field as the true corners.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Gute needs to get on the horn with teams that are struggling/rebuilding. Oakland, Arizona, Buffalo, NYG and see if they are willing to move pass rushers for cap relief and picks. This team doesn't have the rush to win anything. My only hope is either A, we get something at the deadline, or B, we get Alexander and Breeland back, move Tramon around and can blitz routinely and not be burned on the back end.

Offensively we're dominant for stretches and then stretches where we screw up a protection, get a penalty or drop a ball and ruin consecutive drives. I haven't seen a defense stop this unit yet, this is a top 3 offense in the NFL but it's firing like an engine down a cylinder.

ST is the same as every other unit. Crosby has had some big time kicks, the blocked punt vs Minny, Scott has had some huge kicks. Then there's an equal number of gaffes and penalties to counteract all of these.

Long story short, week in and week out the Packers beat themselves. Mac needs to fix that or he and the whole staff should be gone. The only truly untalented position I see on the team is LB, both inside and out and a coverage safety.

Buffalo apparently said they weren't interested in dealing Hughes but a good offer (even overpaying) may change their mind. I'd offer a 2nd plus another mid-round pick to sweeten the deal if necessary.

5 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Is Jimmy Graham the Julio Jones of TEs? I feel like he's been a between-the-20s TEs and is invisible in the redzone (1 TD), a complete 180 of what I thought he'd primarily do for us. 

This is literally the exact opposite of what everyone expected

3 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

This is literally the exact opposite of what everyone expected

Lewis was going to be our super redzone weapon. He has zero yards. But we can still watch his jaguars highlights I guess.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

This is true generally - and just for the helluvit, I'm posting Spotrac positional spending data.

Sorry....forgot to post the link: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/

Teams do try to scrimp on the OL - but we've gotta be careful here not to turn AR into the next Eli.
I never thought Eli "elite" - but his recent years have been nothing more than well paid/compensated torture.
Andrew Lucks entire career was jeopardized because the Indy rumbling/bumbling FO refused to get him any protection up front.

Just a personal take here - but I think AR is starting to take too many hits - which - IMO at least would mandate the quicker/faster pitch and catch offense.
One of the reasons Brady's still upright is he gets rid of the ball.

Rodgers is the weakest part of Rodgers protection at this point in the season.

3 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Is Jimmy Graham the Julio Jones of TEs? I feel like he's been a between-the-20s TEs and is invisible in the redzone (1 TD), a complete 180 of what I thought he'd primarily do for us. 

He has what, 80 career TDs and didn't he lead the league in TDs in seattle last year? I think it's safe to say no.

10 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

He has what, 80 career TDs and didn't he lead the league in TDs in seattle last year? I think it's safe to say no.

Graham was tied for 8th in the league with 10TDs. The next nearest SEA WR was Baldwin with 8.
Leader was Gurley with 19TDs

Edit: Graham did lead the league from the TE position.

We need a big run stuffer to fortify the middle.  A pass rusher we could possibly trade for is Donte Fowler.  Think he could thrive in GB.  I really like the idea of moving Tramon to safety.  Makes way too much sense.  Do all that we would be much better on D.  

9 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

OL has been great up to this point. Arguably our best unit on the year.

Weaknesses are:

ILB: Just seriously lacks talent outside of Martinez, and Martinez isn't having success as the lone backer in the 5-1 looks. Burks has been lousy. I don't know what's going on with Morrison and why he's not carrying defensive reps with any regularity.

S: Just middling talent here. You're always going to have problems when you match Safeties up against WRs and TEs in isolation, but we can't do it for one second. There's value to having Brice in this system but he's a guy that should be platooned with another player for back end play. HHCD has been pretty good. It's just scary when we're playing 3 safety looks and you see Brice and Whitehead out there. Asking for problems. 

Edge: I think everybody's expecting production like we're still playing Capers' D. That's not fair. With the way these guys are asked to play run defense on standard downs, they can't fill to the QB anymore. That very much limits your production on non pressure package reps. The pressure packages have featured a lot more blitzing of DBs rather than attempting to isolate the OLBs on the outside. That also will limit production. With all that said, you need something out of this unit. I really haven't seen any difference from a production standpoint between Perry/Gilbert and Clay/Fackrell. That's scary with the dollars involved. 

QB: Rodgers needs to get his head on straight. We've seen it for the first time in a while last night. He needs to embrace his inner Alex Smith. Deep shots are of no more observatory importance than any route being run. You check it, if it isn't there, you come off it and find somebody else. The thing where we wait for 2.5 seconds for the deep receiver to break open that may or may not ever happen, needs to stop. Drive sustainability and staying on schedule need to be at a premium.

CB: Let's get everybody healthy and reexamine this one. We've got four decent players, three of them will get better as the season goes along. Hopefully Jackson starts feeling it on the boundary and can at least set himself up in a platoon with Tramon,  and Alexander can come back to the slot.

Coaching: We seriously feel unprepared, and look like we're coming out flat. Our opening scripts have been horrifically unproductive. Even when we're in games, we're moving away from the running game more than we probably should, which is hurting drive sustainability. We can not figure out how to stop these off tackle runs, and this one may just be we don't have the horses to run what we want due to ILB talent, but you can't keep getting beat over and over again on Off-Tackle runs. You have to be able to contain the outside if you want to play good defense.  The most frustrating one for me though has been the redzone defense. I don't know if it's Safeties or CBs or just bad schemes, but that needs to get fixed. We have to start holding teams to FGs instead of TDs in the redzone. You have to do that to beat good teams. 

Alexander is really the glue that holds this defense together, we have looked so bad without him these passed 2 weeks, specially in the blitz game he's sorely missed. Tramon just hasn't looked good so far this year, really hope Jackson takes over RCB down the stretch.

6 hours ago, packfanfb said:

except he's great in the RZ for other teams so I think it's just how we've been using him.

5 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Rodgers is the weakest part of Rodgers protection at this point in the season.

The OL has been pretty dang good on runs to the left.

OL seems to be giving up 1-2 plays per game which is fine and expected.  We're spoiled in expecting Rodgers to erase a few OL gaffes with his great mobility.  To Rodgers' credit at least he isn't running out of clean pockets like he did in 2016 and early 2017.  He's hanging in there a good long while, and scrambling up the middle more.

4 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

The OL has been pretty dang good on runs to the left.

OL seems to be giving up 1-2 plays per game which is fine and expected.  We're spoiled in expecting Rodgers to erase a few OL gaffes with his great mobility.  To Rodgers' credit at least he isn't running out of clean pockets like he did in 2016 and early 2017.  He's hanging in there a good long while, and scrambling up the middle more.

I'd say he's running out of clean pockets less. We haven't quite killed that bad habit. 

12 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

except he's great in the RZ for other teams so I think it's just how we've been using him.

Adams is a top tier red zone pass catcher.  Not sure Graham has ever shared those targets with a player of Adams ability .  

Certainly GB and Rodgers are not sure how to use Graham to the best potential.   Let's hope the bye and Rodgers getting more practice reps the next few weeks helps that.

Archived