2019 NFL Draft - Wide Receivers & Tight Ends

Forge

8 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Dortch has been a favorite of mine for a long time. He's an elite return man and an incredibly gifted slot receiver. Supremely quick in and out of his breaks. Separates from press man coverage with ease and is just as adept at finding green grass and sitting down in a zone. RAC is obviously a strength as well. He is what everyone (myself included) thought Ryan Broyles was going to be. I can't wait to see him in the NFL. Kind of shocked he chose this stacked year to declare, but I'd consider Dortch in the 2nd or 3rd round regardless of how good the class is.

I love receivers in that 5-10 to 6 range who are fast quick and can run. I have a soft spot for them. Emmanuel sanders, golden tate, calvin ridley, doug baldwin, tyreek hill, etc. the list goes on...

Overall, this class is reminding me a lot of the 2016 class in terms of no elite production, but there are some elite talents. Obviously, as receiver tends to go, some of these guys won't amount to much in the NFL, but there are a lot of really talented players. Right now, my favorites are Hakeem Butler, Riley Ridley, Deebo Samuel, and K'Neal Harry.

Any love for Preston Williams from Colorado State? He's a Tennessee transfer who put up immense numbers this year: 96 - 1,345 - 14. He doesn't look super explosive, but he's definitely agile for his size (6'3"+ and 200+ lbs.) and has very impressive hands. He reminds me of Corey Davis.

39 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Any love for Preston Williams from Colorado State. He's a Tennessee transfer who put up immense numbers this year: 96 - 1,345 - 14. He doesn't look super explosive, but he's definitely agile for his size (6'3"+ and 200+ lbs.) and has very impressive hands. He reminds me of Corey Davis.

I think past troubles will knock him down a bit but a guy I like a lot who can do a lot of what the guys thought to be at the top of this draft can do. 

Hopefully a possible target in the middle round for the niners to add some size to our WR group.

17 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I’m amazed there isn’t as much Antoine Wesley love on here, he’s another mid round guy I’ve fallen in love with.

I agree, I like him as well.  He seems to have a big time burst for a man his size, will see how he times.  Is crazy skinny which is not great and tailed off a little as the season ended, but he has a huge wingspan and I love how he presses downfield and makes big plays.  Hard to matchup with and has really came out of nowhere, is an interesting player for sure.  

I'm a huge fan of DK Metcalf and I tend to ignore college production for draft prospects, especially at WR, but it's hard to ignore these numbers... 

Year School Conf Class Pos G Rec Yds Avg TD Att Yds Avg TD Plays Yds Avg TD
Career Ole Miss         67 1228 18.3 14 0 0   0 67 1228 18.3 14
2016 Ole Miss SEC FR WR 2 2 13 6.5 2 0 0   0 2 13 6.5 2
2017 Ole Miss SEC FR WR 12 39 646 16.6 7 0 0   0 39 646 16.6 7
2018 Ole Miss SEC SO WR 7 26 569 21.9 5 0 0   0 26 569 21.9 5

Anyone know the last time a receiver went in round 1 with such limited production/game action, if ever?

I know Reggie Wayne wasn't spectacular (career high 755 yards, 10 TD his senior year),  but I'm not sure I've seen 21 career games and such low production. 

13 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

I'm a huge fan of DK Metcalf and I tend to ignore college production for draft prospects, especially at WR, but it's hard to ignore these numbers... 

Anyone know the last time a receiver went in round 1 with such limited production/game action, if ever?

I know Reggie Wayne wasn't spectacular (career high 755 yards, 10 TD his senior year),  but I'm not sure I've seen 21 career games and such low production. 

Matt Jones. 0 career receptions, drafted in the 1st round to play WR.

(I know he doesn't count)

21 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

Cordarrelle Patterson is the easy one. Anthony Gonzalez (spread over three years, but 87 / 1300 / 13). Several players had comparable  per season type careers, but did it for one year longer (DHB, Ginn, Craig Davis, Troy Williamson). 

**should note that I think Patterson played JC

I think Metcalf will be a first rounder, but I think it'll be in the back half, which doesn't make him all that dissimilar from a guy he comps out to - Josh Gordon. Gordon had what, 42 / 700 / 7 ? That's not that different from Metcalf's 2017 season, and he would have blown by that if he had played all year this year. 

I know that he was a second round pick, but that was also supplemental draft, where you never see anyone go in the first. Perhaps he would have gone first in the traditional draft, and as is, I Don't see a whole lot of difference in quality when you draft a guy like 21 (arbitrary number for Metcalf) or use a second round supplemental on a guy (which was pick 39). 

12 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

@jetskid007

Closest might be Javon Walker. Just two seasons at FSU for 65 career catches, 19 avg and 10TDs. 

And even then he still had more yards than Metcalf has (although Metcalf likely would've surpassed had he not gotten injured). 

I know its becoming an overly used comp, but there is a lot of Josh Gordon in his game. Makes you wonder how high Metcalf can go... 

I just rewatched Kelvin Harmon and he’s fantastic.  He absolutely dominated Clemson in 2017.  Huge frame at 6’4/215, incredibly strong hands, jump ball ability, and he actually creates separation on his routes unlike most of the other big WRs in this class.  I think I have him in my top 20 overall players right now.

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 6:03 PM, Rich7sena said:

Any love for Preston Williams from Colorado State? He's a Tennessee transfer who put up immense numbers this year: 96 - 1,345 - 14. He doesn't look super explosive, but he's definitely agile for his size (6'3"+ and 200+ lbs.) and has very impressive hands. He reminds me of Corey Davis.

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 6:41 PM, Fureys49ers said:

I think past troubles will knock him down a bit but a guy I like a lot who can do a lot of what the guys thought to be at the top of this draft can do. 

Hopefully a possible target in the middle round for the niners to add some size to our WR group.

What are these elusive "troubles" you speak of? I know they exist but I haven't been able to uncover the whole story.

Archived