2019 Off-Season Roster Building: Free Agency & Draft

Mind Character

If we trade for Williams we lose 10+ million in carry over money for next year and add his nearly 13 million salary so we're investing over 23 million next year for him and I'll pass. If we didn't have expiring contracts that we needed to work on sure but this would mean we'd be unable to sign at least two of the guys we want to keep and maybe more.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

If we trade for Williams we lose 10+ million in carry over money for next year and add his nearly 13 million salary so we're investing over 23 million next year for him and I'll pass. If we didn't have expiring contracts that we needed to work on sure but this would mean we'd be unable to sign at least two of the guys we want to keep and maybe more.

Didn’t know it was that bad

you see any realistic way we could restructure it? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, brownie man said:

Didn’t know it was that bad

you see any realistic way we could restructure it? 

Not that wouldn't eventually catch up to us but yeah we could restructure (extend) and probably lower that number by several million but it will still be a big number. We could do it but you almost certainly are cutting Kirksey, Carrie and Hubbard next year which saves about 19 million (6 million in dead cap). We may be doing that anyway, I dunno.

15 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

Assuming he's healthy, it'd be great to bring him in. With his holdout and age, we might get him just for the second rounder.

His health is the scary part tho. Hasnt played a full season since '13. Last time he started at least 14 games was '14. Now he is 31. 

I think I would rather ride with Robinson, see how he plays out, or get ready to improve the position next year through a trade or draft but I would be hesitant on Dorsey drafting a lineman 

• Like 1

On 8/11/2019 at 11:19 PM, NateDawg said:

I'm more interested to see if we go after Dan Bailey.  Vikings gave up a 5th for a backup kicker from the Ratbirds, so you'd assume Bailey is going to be on the outs.  He hasn't been that great the last couple years but I wouldn't be surprised if there's more trust there with a guy like that then the two young guys we have. 

What would give me pause about going after Dan Bailey is that he is an 8 year veteran, but ALL EIGHT of those seasons his home field has been a domed facility. A far cry from the wicked winds off Lake Erie in November, December, and yes - January.

12 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

What would give me pause about going after Dan Bailey is that he is an 8 year veteran, but ALL EIGHT of those seasons his home field has been a domed facility. A far cry from the wicked winds off Lake Erie in November, December, and yes - January.

True. I guess you can just put me in the camp of the veteran market at kicker. This is the worst time to find that guy though. There are like 60 kickers that are currently employed. That number will go down to 32 in a couple of weeks and I think that’s when we make a move. I will never forget the year we didn’t have a kicker on our initial 53 man roster before the waiver claims.