THE QUEST FOR THE DC/OC Beginneth!

MistaBohmbastic

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Freddie Kitchens wants to know why everyone thinks they need to look outside the organization for a great playcaller who is a straight shooter and likeable, and so do I dammit.

They're talking about Kitchens as HC and OC and Lincoln Riley in the Hue Jackson role as special assistant. Calm down.

Freddie Kitchens wants to know why everyone thinks they need to look outside the organization for a great playcaller who is a straight shooter and likeable, and so do I dammit.

He sucks calling the run game generally, but I agree, build around Baker and Freddie. 

32 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

He sucks calling the run game generally, but I agree, build around Baker and Freddie. 

How does he suck at calling the run game? He’s got 2 backup tackles starting and a great qb who throws down field. you shouldn’t be pounding the run. Not in today’s game. He’s done a good job at getting Chubb the ball in space as a receiver. That’s the next evaluation of the running game. 

54 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Have 3 million dollars dont call plays. 

"Everyone has a price..." the million dollar man. 

I agree I dont want McDaniels at all. I dont lnow if him and Baker would suit.

That’s why you interview. It seems like Dorsey is really good at reading people. Like he said to reporters, he knew Baker was #1 overall after having his first sit down. 

48 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

How does he suck at calling the run game? He’s got 2 backup tackles starting and a great qb who throws down field. you shouldn’t be pounding the run. Not in today’s game. He’s done a good job at getting Chubb the ball in space as a receiver. That’s the next evaluation of the running game. 

Consistently running out of the 2 te 1 fb formation for 1, it doesnt generate space.

Pulling the te and the lg doesnt work either. 

Most of the runs cause our backs to be hit near or at the line of scrimmage.

4 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Consistently running out of the 2 te 1 fb formation for 1, it doesnt generate space.

Pulling the te and the lg doesnt work either. 

Most of the runs cause our backs to be hit near or at the line of scrimmage.

I think it would be fair to assume that Kitchens is evaluating all this in a weekly basis and will make the adjustments as needed. If we can see it, Chubb and Kitchens can see it. They work well together and have good communication, so I'm sure it'll get sorted out.

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Agreed.

A good running game imo doesn’t necessarily mean running it 50% of the time any longer, but being able to pick up 1st downs in short yardage situations, punch it in at the goal line and be effective enough to keep defenses honest.

I think we’re getting that from our running game.

Our running games is effective for the most part but there are far too many untimely blown up. It is pretty well inexcusable to ever lose 6 yards on a run play and we do it once or twice every single week. Its better than the Isaiah Crowell days but there is still room for improvement no doubt. When you best run blocking TE is David Njoku you have problems. David Fells IMO has been an even bigger FA flop than Tyrod Taylor and T.J. Carrie. At least those guys have offered something as little as it has been. Fells has been about worthless.

10 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Do you think he has the qualities to be HC for the Browns after this season? It's like not there's no precedence for that happening ie. Anthony Lynn.

For those who have a subscription, it's a good article about how Freddie Kitchen is utilizing his experience with Arians to run this offense. One key aspect is how Arians would deliberately use a play against one opponent so that it would be on film, and then use the exactly same play the following week against another opponent but use it to set up a deep TD pass instead.

https://theathletic.com/705561/2018/12/12/ted-nguyens-film-room-freddie-kitchens-applies-lessons-learned-from-bruce-arians-to-the-browns-offense/

The Athletic article references a lot of information from an old 2015 Peter King article (this one is free).

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2015/11/17/nfl-carson-palmer-arizona-cardinals-inside-game-plan

14 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Do you think he has the qualities to be HC for the Browns after this season? It's like not there's no precedence for that happening ie. Anthony Lynn.

Idk?

Didnt know what his qualities were when he was hired, but he’s done fine thus far.

Seems like a laid back country boy who doesn’t blow smoke up arses.  Baker seems to like him/believe in him, which is important. 

He’s spent a good bit of time working with Arians and seeing what worked for him and has some experience as a player and specifically a QB, which are positives imo.

Riley is probably my 1a, but other than him I’m not sure who else I’d prefer over Kitchens based on what he’s shown this season.

9 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

My dream scenario is Riley as HC and Kitchens being retained as OC. Best of both worlds.

That could work given Riley's lack of connections in the NFL. It may help his transition to have a strong staff in place already. And Kitchens could learn from the guy that every other NFL offense is trying to steal from.

1 minute ago, Xenos said:

That could work given Riley's lack of connections in the NFL. It may help his transition to have a strong staff in place already. And Kitchens could learn from the guy that every other NFL offense is trying to steal from.

That’s what I’m hoping for.

It also puts Kitchens in a prime spot to get a HC job for 2020 but protects us if he does leave by having Riley.

Add in Bowles as a DC if he’s fired and my jeans are gonna be tight for a month or two.

My dream scenario is Riley as HC and Kitchens being retained as OC. Best of both worlds.

This is my dream right now as well. Next would be Arians with Kitchens as OC. 

And I hate to be that guy, but I honestly don’t understand the want for Kitchens to be head coach. He’s called what, 5 games?  Far too soon to gain anything about him. I’ve enjoyed his calls also but let’s wait until defenses catch up to him and see how he responds. How is he as a leader?

We have a qb, of that I’m FINALLY certain. Sheesh it’s been 19 long freaking years. We finally have one locked down. It doesn’t end there. Now we need to lock down a stud coach. If we get the right guy we could very well be the next picksburg stillers, naw England patriots. We have to nail this pick. Is Kitchens that guy?  Don’t know, but I somehow doubt it. 

All in the same breath I envy Dorsey yet feel sorry for him. 

Archived