THE QUEST FOR THE DC/OC Beginneth!

MistaBohmbastic

Just now, TheeRealDeal said:

Its the reason Josh McDaniel's bailed on Indianapolis but everyone is calling him the devil.

Well only positive is it’s before the hiring of the HC. I know with the Colts McDaniels it became a huge issue after they came to agreement. 

18 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Already else hear the rumors that kitchen has been named the permanent OC for next year already?

if this is true, HC search is f’ed before it truly took off and candidates were brought in for interviews. 

Forcing a staff on a new HC is not smart 

Or Dorsey knows he wants Arians or Gregg 

heres my hot taek on why i think if glazier is true its not a bad idea
the entire purpose of this hire is to continue to progress baker mayfield

thats it
freddie has/had baker play at elite levels in his 11th nfl game.  that continuity and just learning more details about playing the game as opposed to learning a new playbook is huge.

if your top coaching candidates are
1. a st coordinator (COUGH TOUB)
2. a college coach without elite NFL connections (maybe the dude from northwestern cause as much as @Mind Character was wrong about baker on a personal level he did have the inside goods or campbell)

keeping kitchens for this highly pivotal 1st offseason for baker may in fact be worth it

that doesnt even get to triple G or arians being the candidate

or hell maybe its kitchesn who gets the top job

I've looked through coaching staffs and potential connections to see who the best candidates would be for us this year. I will start with my dark horse guys in order from my least favorite to best option.

Nick Sirianni - Colts

37 years old. 3 seasons as QB coach under Mike McCoy in San Diego currently 1st year OC with Indianapolis and Andrew Luck. Not a whole lot of experience or success so far in his career.

Dan Campbell - Saints

42 years old. Only been coaching for 9 years. Has ZERO play calling experience. Only real tutelage from great is last 3 season with Sean Payton.

Matt LaFleur - Titans
39 Years old had been with Kyle Shannahan or Sean McVay for 9 years Literally every where this guy has been his QB has experienced peak performance in their careers. Only  NFL experience calling play is with this Titans this season.

Ken Whisenhunt - Chargers
56 years old current OC for Chargers. Has held that position for last 3 seasons. Two previous stints as a head coach. 3-20 record in Tennessee and a very pedestrian run in Arizona outside of a one time hot streak that led them to a near Super Bowl win despite being a 9-7 team. Plenty of experience calling plays.

Eric Bieniemy - Chiefs
49 years old been with Andy Reid for 6 years. Current offensive coordinator for the most dangerous offense in the NFL, but has ZERO play calling experience.

Mike Munchak - Steelers
58 years old. Prior head coaching experience with Tennessee and a respectable 22-26 record with a very ordinary roster. Another guy with ZERO play calling experience but does have an elite track record with offensive lineman.

Mark Helfrich - Bears
45 years old. Current offensive coordinator for an offense I enjoy watching. Very creative and it plays to players strengths making them comfortable. This is his 1st year at the NFL level but I liked him at Oregon better than Chip Kelly as well(in terms of offensive system and fit for NFL). I am not sure if Helfrich or Nagy are calling plays but the offensive coaches in Chicago are doing a great job this season.

Gus Bradley - Chargers
52 years old. Has had high levels of success every where he has been in his career except Jacksonville where I believe he as set up to fail. Loved by his players everywhere he has been as well. Creative and not married to one scheme on defense. Previous head coaching experience in Jacksonville with a 14-48 record. Has connections to Kris Richard who could be brought in as DC which would be a great assistant hire.

Now my shorter list of guys I think would get an interview in the same reverse order.

7. Vic Fangio - Bears
60 years old. 33 years of NFL coaching experience. Linebackers coach for one of the greatest Linebcaker units of all time with the Sains. Took an expansion roster to Top 5 defense in a few short years in Carolina. Was an even bigger part of the San Francisco turn around under Harbaugh than Jim himself IMO. Now he has turned around yet another defense and has them playing at an elite level. No offensive play calling experience. Would be a leader/motivator hire and would need to bring in a great OC.
+Jim Tomsula as DL coach
+Greg Roman as OC
+Brad Seeley as STC

6. Matt Campbell - Iowa State
Turned around everything he has been a part of in football. Great leader and the players love him everywhere he has been. Offensive minded coach but he doesn't have a set system. He follows the Mount Union philosophy of players 1st, formations 2nd and plays 3rd. He is not going to put anything in that players are not comfortable doing. He will find ways to set his players up to have the most success.

5. Bruce Arians - Free Agent
66 years old. 25 years of NFL coaching experience. Offensive play calling experience. Was offensive coordinator for the only new era Cleveland Browns playoff season. Went to Super Bowl twice as Pittsburgh's OC winning one and taking a loss. Won 34 games in 3 years as Arizona Head coach the most by Arizona in any 3 year stretch in their history. All time winningest coach with a win % over .600 for a historically bad franchise.
+Freddie Kitchens
+Todd Bowles

4. Greg Williams - Browns
28 years of NFL coaching experience. Has been the mind behind some great defenses in Tennessee, Washington and St. Louis. Has turned around several different bad defenses and changed the defensive cultures. Has previous head coaching experience in Buffalo. Has clearly swung the culture here in Cleveland in a very short time as well. Would not be as high on my list if not for already being here and proven he can turn this team around. How much further can he take that turn around though?
+Continuity in staff

3. Jim Schwartz - Eagles
52 years old. 26 years of NFL coaching experience. Has been a defensive coach for some very good defenses. Has always been able to scheme great pressure on the QB. Head Coaching experience in Detroit where he went 29-51 but the drafting did him no favors IMO and Matthew Stafford is an extremely overrated "franchise" QB IMO. He's a leader/motivator type hire who players love and play hard for. He would need to find a good OC.

2. Josh McDaniels - Patriots
42 years old. 18 years of NFL coaching experience. Has previous head coaching experience in Denver going 11-17. His on field coaching is not what sunk him IMO. He was given too much control over the roster especially for a 1st time HC. I believe he would be a great HC if he were only to focus on coaching leaving the talent to a GM. Has many years of tutelage from the games best ever in Bill Belichek.

1. Dave Toub - Chiefs
56 years old. 18 years of NFL coaching experience. No experience calling plays on offense and no game planning experience on either side of the ball. Would be purely a CEO/Leader type hire. He would have to prove he could bring with him qualified assistant coaches across the board especially as coordinators.

If it were me I would choose between Josh McDaniels and Jim Schwartz. I'm not sold on the idea of a STC as head coach. If it is leader/motivator that we wants as a HC then I would go Schwartz or even stick with Gregg Williams. If we want an offensive mind to pair with Baker Mayfield I would go  Josh McDaniels so long as he is willing to let a GM do the player picking.

I don't see Riley, Dabo, Saban or Harbaugh leaving the college game and the thought of David Shaw makes me want to vomit.

2 hours ago, bruceb said:

Or the Haslams trumped him.

then Dorsey reminds him how keeping Hue cost the franchise the chance at Nagy and how Haslams track record of coaches is awful. I cant see Haslam trumping Dorsey.

I think this might be Dorsey trying to grease the squeaky wheel on figuring out how leaks info

With the way Freddie is under contract, they wouldnt have to worry about losing him. So what would be the need to promote him to the position full time

20 minutes ago, buno67 said:

then Dorsey reminds him how keeping Hue cost the franchise the chance at Nagy and how Haslams track record of coaches is awful. I cant see Haslam trumping Dorsey.

I think this might be Dorsey trying to grease the squeaky wheel on figuring out how leaks info

With the way Freddie is under contract, they wouldnt have to worry about losing him. So what would be the need to promote him to the position full time

What's special about his contract?

49 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

What's special about his contract?

that he is under contract. Dont have to worry about him leaving as a FA.

The only way I think this is acceptable to promote him to full time OC at the moment, is so he cant interview for other OC jobs. That he has to wait until the new coach makes a decision on him

Archived