Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

6 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Wow the NFL really messed up not flexing that game. How are you going to have the 2 best teams in the NFL play at 10am est 3/4 of the way through the season?! I'm guessing that the SNF game that day is probably an NFCE game.

It’s possible Fox used one of its vetoes 

18 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

If Lamar wins a championship this year and continues his amazing career clip, you're nuts if you think that's 2023 problem, haha. And yeah, they'll work through some of those other contracts early. Good thing we've moved in the right direction with signing people early and not getting cap hell like during the Ozzie administration. I wonder who does the Pat Moriaty work now?

EH.. I'm not worried about "cap hell". I'm firmly in the cap space doesn't really matter camp.

What matters is that we actually have an abundance of thriving young draft picks for the first time since the early part of the decade.

Lamar can go on a Joe Flacco-esque playoff run and he still will be dirt cheap next year. We literally can't extend him until summer 2021. 

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

EH.. I'm not worried about "cap hell". I'm firmly in the cap space doesn't really matter camp.

What matters is that we actually have an abundance of thriving young draft picks for the first time since the early part of the decade.

Lamar can go on a Joe Flacco-esque playoff run and he still will be dirt cheap next year. We literally can't extend him until summer 2021. 

I get what you're saying, but we should still be worried about Cap Hell. That's why the Ravens offense, in my opinion, was always held back. Going for people in the other 30 club because we kept holding onto folks too long or cutting them at the wrong time. Completely agree about the thriving young picks part, no argument there. And hopefully Lamar can go nutzo in the playoffs like my guy, The Mighty Joe Flacco.

@DreamKid That Belichick held back talk is stupid it. One of the reasons I cannot take ESPN, NFL and all those hot take shows seriously. Just can't watch them when they have people saying dumb stuff like that. Hope they keep all that energy for the playoffs especially if Lamar has to go to Foxborough and drag his planters. 

9 hours ago, DreamKid said:

The "Belichick purposefully held back a secret unknown defense that will completely neutralize Lamar and the Ravens' offense, in order to beat them in the playoffs" take is my current favorite. 

“He’s playing chess while the rest of the league is playing Checkers.” 😂

I think Max Kellerman was the first I saw that had this theory, now it’s spreading. Though I can’t lie, I wondered the same thing when we played them. I think if he’s better next time it’s not because he held back some defense, it’s just guys are more comfortable playing Lamar. 

That said the Chargers had an unreal benefit. They got Lamar twice in two weeks PLUS they have the ultimate personnel. With these Patriots if we see each other in the playoffs again, it will have been what 8 or 9 games in between? They might be more comfortable, but they won’t be as prepared as the Chargers.

Even then if Marty had used Lamar more as a passer when the game mattered and featured it more into the gameplan vs sticking with the same gameplan from the previous game (where they clamped down on the run), we might’ve fared better, if not won the game. With G-Ro we’ve seen in the SB with Kaepernick that he can make half time adjustments to his gameplan, which gives me much more confidence in the event of this proverbial playoff match with Bill Belichick.

That Patriots front 7 will have to be lights out and they will have to have a plan for taking away our TEs as well as our WRs as well as our rushing attack. Because AFAIC Lamar has proven he can audible to a run, audible players to have more hats onto another side of the line for optimal rushing conditions, he can audible to the pass and understand where his hot routes and checkdowns are. Lamar is already miles better than Flacco just at QB in command of the pass offense, let alone in command of the rushing attack (which goes undervalued by the general populace, as they can’t understand that because it’s a “new” wrinkle), and also his generational athleticism.

So yeah, Belichick will need to not just have held a secret gameplan, but he will need to have his players adjust to our adjustment of that secret gameplan.

• Like 1

So I’m waiting for this game before I do it, but if we have a great rushing game... I’m definitely doing an all time rushing team thread in comparisons. I will put together the adjust rushing yards and all, but I have a hard time believing that a team on pace to obliterate the current rushing record by 200 yards isn’t the greatest attack in history. It’s crazy that people say “you can’t count Lamar” because you do.

• Like 1

So, I think it's becoming increasingly unlikely Greg Roman doesn't get head coaching offers in the offseason. There's always a chance Bisciotti backs up the Brink trucks on him and he decides he wants to stay and build a legacy around being Lamar's guy, but an NFL head coaching job is the pinnacle of his profession and that's hard for anyone to turn down. Assuming he goes, who do we see replacing him? It'd be a shock to see us not promote from within and try to maintain some continuity with the scheme. The two biggest contenders to me are James Urban and David Culley, and I would probably lean towards Urban given his strong relationship with Lamar, though obviously it's hard to know too much about him as a playcaller. He has a strong resume in terms of having worked with Vick in Philly, then with the Cincy WR's back when they were churning out all sorts of weapons for Dalton, and now having helped overseen the development of Lamar, so he seems due for a chance. 

I'm comfortable promoting from within on this one even if neither of these guys can perfectly replicate a Greg Roman offense - that general comfort with the scheme is good, and we probably need someone who can introduce their own new wrinkles to it anyways as Lamar continues to grow - but I do think we'll need to go outside to bring in a new running game coordinator and get a really top shelf mind on that front to help try and replace what we're losing with Roman walking out the door. 

Panthers waive Raushaan Gaulden, 2018 3rd rounder, to make room for a DT. Obviously he hasn’t been good to be waived at this point, but could be a savvy signing. As much as I love the Bennett Jackson story, this could be a move to get a young player with higher Untapped upside In the org and fill out safety depth for 2020 with Jefferson likely out. 

10 hours ago, sp6488 said:

Panthers waive Raushaan Gaulden, 2018 3rd rounder, to make room for a DT. Obviously he hasn’t been good to be waived at this point, but could be a savvy signing. As much as I love the Bennett Jackson story, this could be a move to get a young player with higher Untapped upside In the org and fill out safety depth for 2020 with Jefferson likely out. 

Meh. Would much rather have a guy like Jackson who has played with this squad for this long this season and knows the scheme. Guys like him are try hards that I want in the building amping things up for playoff time.