Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

4 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

I'll be curious what Jaylen Ferguson looks like from a physical standpoint when training camp starts. Think it was particularly important for him to develop his body this offseason and get it in real NFL shape.

Good choice and good point. I see Jaylon riding the bench in a similar fashion to last year, when our entire EDGE group was healthy. It doesn't look like Judon is going anywhere, McPhee is back & healthy, Calais is in house, and Bowser is the far superior player now in a contract year. Hell even Jihad Ward is a more reliable option based on last year's film.

Ferguson came from a small school and was sporting a pretty poor physique as you note. He was carrying bad weight and there wasn't much development on his frame. Hopefully he turned in a strong offseason, because he seems like a player that really needs it. If you can't stop the run, can't drop into coverage, and can't get to the QB- it's going to be hard for the team/coaches to justify your roster spot.

I don't think he's in immediate danger of being cut, but we need to see some real improvements. The bull rush that helped him get the Sack record in college, to this point, hasn't carried over. Hopefully he follows the ZDS trajectory and continues to diversify his move set, while constantly refining his hands. Calais and Pernell are good role models to have in that room.

2 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Madden will continue to suck, as EA is as trash as trash can be. Lamar is cover boy though so here ya go-

We should get the official cover release pretty soon.

The fact that they're just re-naming features and calling them new is such a sham. This game is beyond a joke at this point. I'm glad I stopped caring about it.

• Like 1

I guess with Yanda gone you want every single IOL signed to enter TC in the best shape possible. 

Other than that i'd like Mandrews to get in better shape and maybe start Yoga/Pilatis as he seemed to be frequently dinged up. 

With his significance for this offense even more increased after old man HH gone he better make sure to adjust his body for getting thrown around like a ragdoll.

On 6/15/2020 at 10:29 AM, DreamKid said:

Good choice and good point. I see Jaylon riding the bench in a similar fashion to last year, when our entire EDGE group was healthy. It doesn't look like Judon is going anywhere, McPhee is back & healthy, Calais is in house, and Bowser is the far superior player now in a contract year. Hell even Jihad Ward is a more reliable option based on last year's film.

Ferguson came from a small school and was sporting a pretty poor physique as you note. He was carrying bad weight and there wasn't much development on his frame. Hopefully he turned in a strong offseason, because he seems like a player that really needs it. If you can't stop the run, can't drop into coverage, and can't get to the QB- it's going to be hard for the team/coaches to justify your roster spot.

I don't think he's in immediate danger of being cut, but we need to see some real improvements. The bull rush that helped him get the Sack record in college, to this point, hasn't carried over. Hopefully he follows the ZDS trajectory and continues to diversify his move set, while constantly refining his hands. Calais and Pernell are good role models to have in that room.

The EDGE rotation behind Judon is going to be super interesting to watch. I generally share your assessment on Ferguson but I'm not entirely sure where the organization is in terms of how they're evaluating him moving forward. The way Zrebiec has talked about it this offseason, they're viewing Ferguson as the starting EDGE opposite Judon. And last year after McPhee went down, it was Ferguson who stepped into his role for the most part, outsnapping Bowser by a significant margin. Which was surprising both because it's not like Ferguson really flashed much in the snaps he was playing, and because it seems like otherwise we typically don't play rookies on defense unless they're standing out in ways that can't be ignored. 

Think maybe some of it could have been because of the other personnel issues on defense last year - with poor ILB play and a pedestrian defensive line, Ferguson may have been preferred just based on being a bigger guy than Bowser, something that might not be as big a factor in the decision-making now with revamped DL and ILB units. And you'd have to assume ultimately that beyond Judon nobody is established enough in the rotation that if someone steps up they can't make that other EDGE position their own - even with McPhee my guess is that they're going to try and play him sparingly compared to his usage last year to avoid another early-season injury. So if Bowser does make a contract year leap, then he should have every opportunity to leave Ferguson in the dust, particularly if Ferguson doesn't show progress from a physical standpoint. But it's strange to me to begin with that Ferguson might be the incumbent starter there as he appears to be. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

And last year after McPhee went down, it was Ferguson who stepped into his role for the most part, outsnapping Bowser by a significant margin. Which was surprising both because it's not like Ferguson really flashed much in the snaps he was playing, and because it seems like otherwise we typically don't play rookies on defense unless they're standing out in ways that can't be ignored. 

24 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Ferguson may have been preferred just based on being a bigger guy

This was my conclusion as well, and I touched on it a bit last year. It felt like the team was trying to 'will' Jaylon into the power mold RUSH LB they favor- and it failed miserably. Bowser plays at SAM, same as Judon, and despite the benefits of fielding two EDGE players with coverage flexibility(As often pointed out by Ken McKusick)- Wink for whatever reason doesn't like playing both at the same time. So especially when the rush defense panic set in, it didn't surprise me that they tried throwing Ferguson to the fire and hoping some miraculous switch flipped. Unfortunately, it didn't.

My take/prediction for 2020 is that the situation at SAM will largely stay the same. Bowser is the sole backup, who beyond increased(from 2019) rotational reps also receives additional snaps in the more complex pressure packages. And I predict Ferguson taking a back seat due to the return of McPhee and addition of Calais. It's not often that we're in our base defense, and Calais will be playing more on the edge than fans realize. He's an elite run defender, and will frequently bookend Judon with Williams & Wolfe starting at DI. And from there obviously Madubuike will sub/rotate in, and Calias will likely shift down as well on a healthy percentage passing downs. McPhee will likely again start at rush, but sub out once we aren't in base formation- facilitating the needed drop in total snaps.

So Base Formation- McPhee-Wolfe-Williams-Campbell-Judon  to  Campbell-Wolfe-Williams/Madubuike-Judon

^^Should be the primary looks. 

I think Ferguson starting as a rookie was a 2019 experiment to address some run defense woes that just didn't pan out. We saw a lot of extremes and turnover in that regard. With more resources/talent healthy and at their disposal(As you pointed out), I really don't see the team reviewing the 2019 film and coming to the conclusion that Ferguson is an incumbent starter. He, Averett, and Jefferson were the worst players to see significant time in our defense last year.

*Should note that I have nothing against Ferguson, and am actively rooting for him. Just evaluating honestly what I saw in 2019. I don't like to be harsh on Rookies and he was clearly pushed out too early. With limited/no contractually secured beyond 2020 youth at EDGE, I really hope Ferg does make some miracle Year 2 Leap.... just don't have a lot of hope in that regard :(.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

This was my conclusion as well, and I touched on it a bit last year. It felt like the team was trying to 'will' Jaylon into the power mold RUSH LB they favor- and it failed miserably. Bowser plays at SAM, same as Judon, and despite the benefits of fielding two EDGE players with coverage flexibility(As often pointed out by Ken McKusick)- Wink for whatever reason doesn't like playing both at the same time. So especially when the rush defense panic set in, it didn't surprise me that they tried throwing Ferguson to the fire and hoping some miraculous switch flipped. Unfortunately, it didn't.

My take/prediction for 2020 is that the situation at SAM will largely stay the same. Bowser is the sole backup, who beyond increased(from 2019) rotational reps also receives additional snaps in the more complex pressure packages. And I predict Ferguson taking a back seat due to the return of McPhee and addition of Calais. It's not often that we're in our base defense, and Calais will be playing more on the edge than fans realize. He's an elite run defender, and will frequently bookend Judon with Williams & Wolfe starting at DI. And from there obviously Madubuike will sub/rotate in, and Calias will likely shift down as well on a healthy percentage passing downs. McPhee will likely again start at rush, but sub out once we aren't in base formation- facilitating the needed drop in total snaps.

So Base Formation- McPhee-Wolfe-Williams-Campbell-Judon  to  Campbell-Wolfe-Williams/Madubuike-Judon

^^Should be the primary looks. 

I think the bolded is 100% spot on. Bowser isn't a great option to set edge in the run game, but he's a heck of an asset playing opposite Judon in obvious passing downs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray Reed said:

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

O.o WTF is that about^^^^

Hard to tell if that's genuine animosity or friends that chirp at each other. Remember Boyle does have a PED suspension in his past (so it's not like he's being "outed").

44 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

Hard to tell if that's genuine animosity or friends that chirp at each other. Remember Boyle does have a PED suspension in his past (so it's not like he's being "outed").

Yea, I'm pretty sure one more strike and Boyle gets an automatic 1 year bid. Which is why a public insinuation like that, even in jest, seems rough. And then Boyle's retort is also a bit thorny, as Jefferson is coming off a bad injury and got booted from a team he loved. 

Hope it all is just over the top ribbing. If it's not, it's a bad look for both players. Who IIRC both welcomed newborns recently. They might have more important things to tend to than petty twitter spats.

4 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

Keep reading the thread. Sounds like your typical ribbing from Tony. Not sure Boyle took it as such though.

Eh, if you're gonna dish it, gotta be able to take it (which I'm sure TJ can)

Edited by sp6488

3 hours ago, sp6488 said:

Eh, if you're gonna dish it, gotta be able to take it (which I'm sure TJ can)

He most likely can, but its not a good look from either of them in my opinion. I played with a guy we knew took steroids, and none of us were proud of it. That doesn't mean that we talked about it to other teams (SoMe wasn't around back then) or outed him in any way - I might be oldschool but that is something you handle in house, especially if the guy is still playing.

I'd wish Boyle would just let it go - and even though PED's can be other things than steroids, he is still one missed step away from a long ban from the league, so he still has to be careful and avoid stupid mistakes.

It is so damn easy to avoid supplements with banned substances, so I never consider that an excuse when athletes turn to that explanation.