Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

Not sure if this qualifies as a “bold” prediction or just a prediction in general, but I think the defense will finish above the offense this year in regards to league-wide rankings.

I’m thinking defense finishes in the 2-4 range, offense in the 6-11 range.

3 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Not sure if this qualifies as a “bold” prediction or just a prediction in general, but I think the defense will finish above the offense this year in regards to league-wide rankings.

That's an interesting scenario because theoretically if the defense is really really good then the offense will get even more opportunities and consistently have pretty good field position. And with our efficiency on that side of the ball, it's hard to see us not running up the numbers even more as a result.

Long and Late Downs against our D is going to be horrific for OCs. Elite coverage unit now paired with new Front 7 monsters(Campbell, Murderbuike, Queen). I can't wait. Good luck trying to hold the ball against us. Better get it out quick...and hope Peters doesn't house it for 6.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Only thing I will say is that would represent our defense largely holding serve, with our offense slipping significantly.

Our defense last year was 3rd in points against and 4th in yards against, while our offense was 1st in scoring and 2nd in total yards.

5 hours ago, M.10.E said:

Or his job got a whole lot easier this last year.

I think you could say that of anyone on our offense. And while it's true, I would say two things particularly in response: (1) I think his deficiencies/limitations are less helped by Lamar/the offense than a guy like Brown, and (2) the strength he is able to play to (lateral movement, use of agility, length and technique to mirror defenders) is a rarer trait and one that is prized in LTs universally.

On 6/1/2020 at 2:13 PM, Danand said:

How do you guys feel about giving Stanley a contract that exceeds the one Tunsil got?

And how many "top contracts" are we actually able to dish out. In my opinion, Stanley, Orland Brown, Lamar and Andrews are key components on offense and should get extended while Humphrey is the sole "top tier" player on our defense who are in for a big contract.

But can we actually pay those 5 top money, or do we have to let 1 or 2 of them go? In that case, is it worth paying Stanley 23-24 mill. a year compared to maybe extending Orlando Brown for less and let Stanley walk after we franchise tagget him? Or is Andrews/Brown someone we try to extend after next season to a little less dollars in hope they accept it while getting an early payday?

Both Stanley and Brown and Humphrey are players I see as potential 3rd contract options. Stanley has had issues with minor injuries, while Brown and Humphrey as had availability as a strong suit for them.

Brown won't decline due to lack of athleticism as he doesn't rely on that anyway, and Humphrey might transition into a great safety if he at some point get slower due to age. I still believe he might be our best free safety option already. I think he has Charles Woodson type of career potential with us.

I don’t think Stanley gets that AAV.

1. Having a good organization matters for guys talking slightly less than market.

2. Tunsil got that deal pre-CV19. The economic impact of such will reverberate for AT LEAST two years. This is shaping up to be the worst economic impact in US history based on the numbers. I think the NFL will be lucky and likely have to borrow against future caps to even keep the cap “consistent” with the past few seasons. Tunsil got his deal under the marketed guise that the NFL cap would expand as significantly as reports had mentioned. Now it’s far more likely it will contract by that same significance than the opposite being true.

3. In terms of who to sign like @coordinator0 stated, I think Jackson, Stanley, and Humphrey are all slamdunk, Orlando Brown Jr. is about as close to a slamdunk as you can be at this point... but Andrews with a) his injury history as well as in conjunction with b) being a diabetic (slower injury recovery) could impact his value to the club long term. Even if they resign him I would bet it would be a shorter deal, something like a 3 year deal.

• Like 1

Didn't want to start a new thread for this but hoping for some visibility:

For anyone interested, I'm taking part in an All NFL Draft on the GM Mock Drafts forum. We're going to be doing a snake style draft and building our own teams including coaches. I've done it in the past and it's been a lot of fun and helps learn about the state of talent in the league and different positions and on different teams. Disclaimer, this process usually takes about a month or so depending on the number of participants and how much people are able to stay on top of time schedules. If anyone's interested check it out! 

Ray Lewis has a podcast out now called Everyday Greatness, and his episode he did recently with Eddie George had some really great stories about that early Ravens/Titans rivalry. Definitely worth a listen.

Plus I could listen to Ray talk about anything for hours on end, haha. Gets me so pumped.

From the article:

Well, let's find out. We hit reset on NFL contracts and released every player to the open market. Then we gave our NFL Nation reporters the GM job, allowing them to re-draft the foundations for their teams. Here are the rules:

• Every current NFL player is available, and salary caps don't matter here. But we only drafted four rounds.

• In those four picks, each pretend GM had to select a quarterback, a non-QB offensive player and a defensive player. The fourth pick was a wild card, open to anything.

• We used the 2020 NFL draft order, with traded picks reversed, and a snaking format.

• What about the other 20 starters for each team? The rest of the roster is made up of average-level NFL talent. Our analytics team identifies that as someone such as OT Donovan Smith, edge rusher Harold Landry III or CB Malcolm Butler.

• Each GM was asked to draft with intentions of winning a Super Bowl within five years. Some took a harder line, while others built a base that might still need a year or two.

18 hours ago, drd23 said:

He's better than a handful of the QBs selected before him, especially if you are only looking at the next 3-4 years

Yea, by the premise of that draft he should have gone about 18. Tua would be worth considering but otherwise that's a great pick.

It's nice to see him get respect, but Stanley that high is a pretty terrible decision. Drew Lock over Kyler Murray pretty much tells you what kind of list this is.

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Yea, by the premise of that draft he should have gone about 18. Tua would be worth considering but otherwise that's a great pick.

It's nice to see him get respect, but Stanley that high is a pretty terrible decision. Drew Lock over Kyler Murray pretty much tells you what kind of list this is.

Yep, given the stipulations a plus-QB is probably the most important thing, honestly taking Stanley there is a terrible decision given the rules.

On 6/8/2020 at 10:48 PM, drd23 said:

Did anyone else see this?

Ronnie Stanley being the 6th player chosen in league wide 4 round fantasy draft was pretty surprising

Not a fan of the Ravens draft. If JJ Watt could somehow stay healthy than I would be down, but as it stands, he’s better on paper.

Stafford with great WRs has never done anything in Detroit, no reason to think He and Julio are going to do things when he had Megatron and couldn’t make waves. So once Watt gets hurt we’re left with Stafford and two really good receivers, one of which has a wait and see approach regarding his “team mentality”.

edit: Given Julio’s age, no way do I take him. I’m going Chase Young there. Generational pass rushing talent that should be able to come in and instantly provide dominance to the defense, plus he's local.

Third round, elite shutdown corner types don’t grow on trees, Jeffrey Okudah has far too much potential to not pair him with his collegiate teammate.

Last round, Jedrick Wills. Without Lamar Jackson to cultivate a superior run game we’re actually going to need elite blockers upfront. Wills is that guy. The goal is to build a championship team within the next few seasons, with a veteran QB on the younger side, we’ve got time there to add weapons around him via the draft. Far easier to find those other positions. 

Edited by diamondbull424