Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

20 hours ago, sp6488 said:

Yea, no ****, that would probably be the dumbest move possible

I guess… but you acting like he wasn’t a major contributing part to us giving up 5,000 yards and 31 passing TDs and hella miscommunication and blown coverage as the so-called “smartest” guy on the defense… if u don’t got it u don’t got it lol… it don’t matter if u got the green dot if u can’t actually make no plays… he is an average starter with little upside and limited athletic traits… having him is like having the best backup veteran QB in the league… yeah it’s nice to have I guess… but if he actually got to play things went terribly wrong IMO… 

Edited by bmorecareful

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

This year on "Mark Andrews gets disrespected", the trend appears to be people saying Pitts>Andrews, just like they said Hockenson>Andrews all last offseason lol

I can’t hate. At least it’s not Eagles fans claiming Dallas Goedert is above Andrews.

As it’s Wallers’ personal list, he’s never not going to have himself at #1. Kelce above Andrews because he’s been doing it longer makes sense as well.

I’d argue Andrews is better than Kittle, but the difference in blocking could make up for Andrews being the better receiving threat.

And while Andrews should be above Pitts, the rookie season Pitts just had was special and based off potential could see how someone would have him above Andrews. Based off potential he could ascend to the best TE in the league.

All that said… Andrews should be no worse than #3 on this list IMO, consistency/longevity being what has me keep Kelce ahead.

• 2 weeks later...

Surprised Pollard was actually able to get Lamar to respond. Lamar's whole social media demeanor has changed since he's entered into contract negotiations. Much more coiled spring than he was before. Bernard getting sorted out by someone from the team has been a long time coming though. Glad to see it finally happen. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

No secret a deal is less likely at this point. Cleveland chose to give an overrated QB and serial predator a fully guaranteed contract, Lamar is stubborn and doing his own deal(with no doubt Hollywood in his ear telling him to never back down and secure a nuclear bag), and our FO(+Ownership) won't accept being robbed/played in this situation. 

The conversation around the whole thing is distracting and just genuinely aggravating too.

A player's value is what someone is willing to pay them, and Lamar like any other player has every right to pursue the most he can get. That said, this position some fans have taken of decrying us turning down any demand Lamar makes as some moral or spiritual failing is ludicrous. 

Lamar is coming off a season where he was not only injured, but also took a step back in performance. Yet if we're not willing to give him quarter or half a billion+(whatever number he has in his head)... fully guaranteed we're somehow inept scumbags.

Social media antics have already started(Lamar liking pictures of himself in a dolphins jersey), while the media has poured gasoline on the topic and will continue to do so until there's a conclusion to the situation. 

With no end to negotiations in sight, popular theory is that we'll be trading Lamar to some Florida team in the near future. The biggest issue with this scenario though, is fans of our club(and others) believing we'd be offered fair compensation for Jackson.....  Which is actually somewhat startling given the level of respect and interest Lamar has been shown on his prospect to player journey thus far. Anyone imagining us being offered 3+ 1sts or something is crazy. Lamar still has people around the league in high ranking executive and coaching positions that legitimately believe he can't consistently throw the ball at a high or even competent level and don't see his career lasting more than a couple years longer with his play style. Fair analysis or not, that's where he's at across the league with those people. Getting another club's owner, GM, and head coach all on the same page about Lamar to the degree where they're giving up a monster compensation package + giving him a max fully guaranteed deal + committing to him philosophically- really really doesn't seem like something that will happen. 

Truly unfortunate that it's getting to this point. Not like we haven't been here before though right? Flacco didn't want the deal we offered pre SB either, let's see what Lamar can do in his big year. 

I'd be interested to hear some current thoughts on the subject from you guys. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DreamKid said:

I'd be interested to hear some current thoughts on the subject from you guys. 

Disagree with you completely that we wouldn't get 3+ firsts plus in an offer for Lamar. When shopping around, it's not the buyer who values the asset the least that sets the price, but the highest bid. Lamar still has some haters, but the whole league doesn't have that opinion by a long shot. Even if some (incorrectly) think Lamar is not a superstar, enough people around the the league know he is. Can't imagine he wouldn't get more than Wilson (given huge age gap) or Watson (given ...).

I also don't think he moves anywhere and a deal with get done eventually. I don't care about price, and I actually don't know why fully guaranteed matters much. What is the percentage of monster QB contracts that end up with the player getting cut anyway? That's when guaranteed matters. We haven't even seen Goff or Wentz cut yet. Flacco wasn't. So they're getting the contract value anyway. From a team perspective we'd only cut Lamar if he took a major injury or step down, but if that happens then we aren't rebounding competing for a SB within the <5 years left on the deal anyway. Maybe the owner feels bad paying so much to a player who isn't helping us win during a rebuild, but why do fans care? Just lose the opportunity to sign a couple splashy free agents to prop up our irrelevant QB-less team.