2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

2 hours ago, rcon14 said:

I wanna look at the process of each of these cuz I think that's only fair.

Randall trade: This was pretty terrible. If you have to move on from Randall you have to move on from Randall. I get that. Acquiring Deshone Kizer was the terrible part. Kizer was atrocious as a rookie. Also, important to consider that GB was going to extend Rodgers, thus nullifying the need for any "heir apparent" for him for at least a few more years. Acquiring Kizer was a zero value-added move. If you had to trade Randall for locker room reasons, they should have prioritized draft capital instead of Kizer.

Choosing Cobb over Nelson: I think this was the correct choice at the time. The important thing to note is that both of these players were clearly on the decline. To me, the difference between the two is age. Nelson is an older player in an older body, Cobb is a younger player in an older body. I don't think it was the wrong bet to make on the younger guy, but it just hasn't really worked out. Nelson also hasn't been particularly good, Cobb just really fell off. Largely a non-impactful move since neither would be on the team in 2019 regardless.

Graham contract: Yeah this was a disaster the moment the financials came out. They made a declining Jimmy Graham the highest AAV TE in the league. Pretty clear looking at his years in SEA that he had become only a RZ-fade weapon, which is not something GB uses (because it's actually a pretty low-value play). He's a porous blocker on top of that. He's not a terrible TE. He's just a pretty average one and GB paid a lot for that and didn't really have a nice out until after Y2.

Geronimo OR tender: I would've given him the 2nd round tender, but we'll see what his number ends up being. He's low-key pretty good.

2018 Draft: I think it was a good process aside from the Oren Burks, Cole Madison, and JK Scott pick. Madison broke the style of OL GB had traditionally picked (that had been super successful). I don't even look at what happened afterwards. GB has a model of OL they pick. Stick to it. It works. Oren Burks is super athletic, but plays more like a safety than a linebacker, and not in the positive way. We'll see how it plays out, but it seemed like an over-draft at the time. Don't draft a punter. Ever. Rest of the draft was good from me, got phenomenal value from ESB and MVS. Jaire looks great and I really liked the Josh Jackson pick. Jackson was always gonna be a bit of a project going from strict C2 to a more diverse coverage scheme.

Randall Trade - I think it looks much worse in hindsight.  Randall had done all of nothing(largely due to being played out of position by Capers and nagging injuries).  Better to have a QB that you think may have the talent to at least be a functional backup with decent coaching than a CB that has shown nothing.  Of course, MM wasn't giving decent coaching and Randall turned into a very good FS for the Browns last year.  I chalk that up to 1. Gute overestimating his coaching staff and 2. Dorsey just being that good at talent evaluation.  But yeah, didn't work out well for us.

Cobb over Nelson - I agree that both were on the decline.  But I think that even declining, Nelson was more valuable due to his rapport with Rodgers and that he could have been a good mentor for our young WRs.  Cobb's injuries sapped his athleticism to the point he is largely useless, at least Nelson still had size to compensate for declining athleticism.

Graham - Looking back, I was way more hopeful than I should have been.  Graham was a bad move and waste of money.

Geronimo - I'm neutral on this.  Partially because I almost wish we hadn't kept him to let our trio of 2nd year WRs get more experience.  All three are more talented than Geronimo and I'd rather they get the reps than him.

Draft - I loved Burks coming out, and I'm hoping that Pettine figures out a way to scheme him in the defense to make use of his athleticism and coverage abilities.  But the dude can not play the run.  Madison is the kind of prospect that would always need a year or two before being ready, so I'll wait and see there.  I don't mind drafting a punter if you get a top five type guy.  Doubt Scott ever gets there.  Loved the rest of his draft.

9 hours ago, Chili said:

Who on our roster who you feel are the most likely candidate to be traded? I just got a gut feeling that we will look to trade a player or two in order to stock up on draft picks for next year since we probably won't get comp picks due to our FA activity. Next year we are going to have only 7 draft picks and that isn't nearly enough to continue retooling our roster.

I think Lane Taylor, Josh Jones, Montravious Adams are the top three candidates. None are Gute's draft picks. The big one for me is Lane Taylor, he isn't a great fit in LaFleur's ZBS and cutting him probably isn't an option due to his dead cap hit however his NFL experience and affordable contract could garner some interest. Maybe a 5th round pick if we're lucky.

Trading players for future picks right now sounds terrible.

10 hours ago, Chili said:

Just to recap Gutes decisions since he was hired:

Our new GM has made a few questionable decisions, for example trading Randall, giving Graham that large contract, choosing Cobb over Nelson and now giving Geronimo an original round tender instead of a second round tender.

He has done some good things too such as getting the 1st round pick from the Saints, trading HaHa for a 4th rounder and his activity in this year's free agency. 

The good outweighs the bad so far don't you think? He hasn't been perfect but you can tell he's trying his best to rejuvenate the roster.

Let's face it, Gute had the decked stacked against him when he took over.  He's using every possible method to try and improve this team.  Randall was a head case that McCarthy didn't like, who would know Graham wouldn't have a huge season (although not all that bad) and yes, Nelson should have been kept.  Totally agree he's doing his best to turn over the "old" overpriced and non producing roster.  

Did anyone see Mike Daniels Instagram story yesterday? He shared a somewhat cryptic quote:

“Sometimes God’s best way to add to your life is to subtract from it. Certain things have to end so better things can begin. Every loss isn’t a loss.”

Thoughts? Is he a possible trade or cut candidate? I know he isn’t the ideal Pettine system fit. 

Jaire was a home run, the trade with New Orleans was masterful, the Josh Jackson pick looked like great value, the 3 WRs was a needed injection, and I don't mind the special teams picks. The Oren Burks selection looked like a bad one from the start. He had late-round pick written all over him, and it felt like we paid the premium for making sure we got that speed where no one else did, but when you don't even know if the guy can play football, is it worth it? It felt like Gutekunst's (there you go, guys) attempt at finding a Nick Collins high-speed and agility, late-round grade over-drafted type, but he ain't gonna be Nick Collins.  

I also don't underestimate Rodgers' contribution toward causing 2018 to be a weird season where the coach got fired when evaluating Gute's year, too. I still think #12 is a top QB, but everything was off last year and it started with what I perceived as his attitude toward having to play another year in McCarthy's offense when he no longer respected it, or the assistant coaches running it, and then seeing the resulting play on the field. 

Maybe the Graham signing doesn't look any better even if Rodgers is himself, but I wouldn't discount that the entire year was just weird in a very eerie way and the play on the field of our offensive players in 2018 can't properly be evaluated. 

1 minute ago, Lieker said:

Did anyone see Mike Daniels Instagram story yesterday? He shared a somewhat cryptic quote:

“Sometimes God’s best way to add to your life is to subtract from it. Certain things have to end so better things can begin. Every loss isn’t a loss.”

Thoughts? Is he a possible trade or cut candidate? I know he isn’t the ideal Pettine system fit. 

Either he thinks he's on the way out or he's watching a particularly depressing arc of Naruto. 

If we trade him, then pencil in a big man at #12 or #30 at the very latest, or through a trade up 

4 minutes ago, Lieker said:

I wouldn’t look too much into it. I don’t have any inside knowledge but he doesn’t seem to be the kind of guy that alludes to things in his social media.

3 minutes ago, Chili said:

I thought Pettine system prioritises interior pass rush. Mike Daniels is perfect for this. I don't think we will cut/trade him but I don't see us keeping him in 2020.

He likes interior pressure but it prioritizes larger bodies who can take on blockers and scheme open blitzers, IIRC. Daniels was seen as a questionable fit due to lack of size