2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

Just now, packfanfb said:

I'd pay Matthews more because of his versatility. Maybe I'm missing the love for Mo but I wouldn't give him a third of the money I'd be willing to give Matthews. Guy looked washed last year before he mangled his leg...

I'm not into either of them really. Like I said, if the cost is basically just replacement level, sure, fine, but there's not any room for Clay at EDGE anymore, so you're talking ILB, which he hasn't played in going on four years now, and for Wilkerson, I don't think he's going to better than Dean Lowry, so it's just some depth on the DL, which is fine, but he's certainly not the guy he was a few years ago.

Just now, rcon14 said:

I'm not into either of them really. Like I said, if the cost is basically just replacement level, sure, fine, but there's not any room for Clay at EDGE anymore, so you're talking ILB, which he hasn't played in going on four years now, and for Wilkerson, I don't think he's going to better than Dean Lowry, so it's just some depth on the DL, which is fine, but he's certainly not the guy he was a few years ago.

Contract year for Lowry. Interested to see him get some time out there. 

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

SO NO IT DOES NOT HAPPEN AS YOU CAN CLEARLY SEE SINCE THE FIVE PLAYERS YOU JUST TRIED TO USE AS AN EXCEPTION WITH A COMBINED 1 BROKEN HEAD, 34-YEARS-OLD FULLBACK, INJURIES AND NOTHINGNESS ALL SIGNED FOR HIGHER THAN THE VETERAN MINIMUM. 

but to me, 10k here, 50k there it's still veteran minimum.  You sign these type of guys off the scrap heap.  We agree there, and it's disingenuous to talk about signing real players to "vet minimum". 

But it's in the spirit of the phrase "vet minimum" to mean basically any contract for 1 year in the $1M range or less.

Here's some guys I think we *could*  (not should) sign to the vet minimum:

Captain Munnerlyn, cut several times last few years

Terrelle Pryor.  Flamed out in his last 2 stops, little to no interest out there for him.

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

You guys can argue about vet mins all day. Clay, Mo, literally anyone who's been good in the last 3 years is not signing for the vet min. It's not happening. The expectation that you want them to and if they sign for more, it's an overpay is misguided too.

Understand the market. Erick Flowers might be the worst football player I've ever seen, he got a 4m dollar deal. Tyler Eifert has played 14 games in 3 YEARS, 6m dollar deal. Marcedes Lewis, not the vet min.

Unless you're signing in mid season, you aren't accepting the vet min.

I don't think anyone in the NFL should make a million dollars. Someone hire me as GM. 

41 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I'm not terribly uncomfortable with Tramon out there with a competent safety with him. Don't love the cap hit, and would like to add someone who can play single high, but I don't hate the room right now with:

Amos
Tramon

Draft Pick top 3 rounds
Raven Greene
Josh Jones

giphy.gif

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

You guys can argue about vet mins all day. Clay, Mo, literally anyone who's been good in the last 3 years is not signing for the vet min. It's not happening. The expectation that you want them to and if they sign for more, it's an overpay is misguided too.

Understand the market. Erick Flowers might be the worst football player I've ever seen, he got a 4m dollar deal. Tyler Eifert has played 14 games in 3 YEARS, 6m dollar deal. Marcedes Lewis, not the vet min.

Unless you're signing in mid season, you aren't accepting the vet min.

Flowers is a former 1st RD pick and that's why he got paid. 

Clay and Mo definitely aren't signing for vet minimum (that's a silly notion), but that doesn't mean they're aren't good players who won't sign for around vet minimum, although that's unlikely to happen at this point in the off-season. 

1 minute ago, Cadmus said:

I typed in awkward laugh and went with the first one. 

I'm looking for efficiency, not a gif masterpiece. 

Apologies. 

Nah, not digging.  The 'zo one is one that implies resigned acceptance.  The kid laughing is... uncomfortable skepticism?  Trying to figure out your thoughts on the "plan" which likely features raven greene at some point of the season.