2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

1 hour ago, rcon14 said:

Crosby's contract is outsized, no doubt. If GB wants more cap space, they'll re-structure that to push that number down.

Not sure there is room to restructure unless they extend.  And have to figure that given the season he had, there's little motivation to extend right now.

11 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Trying to figure out your thoughts on the "plan" which likely features raven greene at some point of the season.

That it's a horrible idea, like every idea that ever occurred in Aaron Carter's head after that gif. 

Don't do drugs kids. 

Edited by Cadmus

55 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Breeland did not sign for the vet minimum last year.  880,000 was his deal halfway through the season with a foot injury most teams didn't think he could play through and he still got over the bet minimum, which was 775,000 last year for his amount of experience.  So if an injury midway through the season signing can't even get it, what in God's name makes you think a veteran would sign that deal at this point?

Breeland signed in September. 

33 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Yeah, they happen.  Now look at WHEN they happen.  Shields was signed either in-season or right before.  Kuhn is a got damn fullback at 34 years old.  Breeland with the injury (and didn't sign for the vet minimum).  DickRod is NOT a name literally anybody would recognize other than the Hail Mary play. 

Also,

Anderson - Not veteran minimum and in-season.
Shields - Broken got damn HEAD and NOT veteran minimum.
Kuhn - 34 got damn years old fullback and... NOT veteran minimum.
Breeland - Again, NOT veteran minimum.
Rodgers - NOT veteran minimum.

SO NO IT DOES NOT HAPPEN AS YOU CAN CLEARLY SEE SINCE THE FIVE PLAYERS YOU JUST TRIED TO USE AS AN EXCEPTION WITH A COMBINED 1 BROKEN HEAD, 34-YEARS-OLD FULLBACK, INJURIES AND NOTHINGNESS ALL SIGNED FOR HIGHER THAN THE VETERAN MINIMUM. 

In season signings and injured aren’t relevant. You’re statement said no one ever signs a vet min deal that you’ve heard of. Of course they have an injury history, old, non-premium position or other questions, otherwise they’d be getting a bigger deal.

You’re adding all these other caveats on the fly in an attempt to look correct and it dosent work that way. What you initially said was factually wrong. Veteran players you’ve heard of occasionally sign vet minimum deals. It’s not common but it happens and when it does they’re are obviously some question marks around them that make them cheap.

16 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Not sure there is room to restructure unless they extend.  And have to figure that given the season he had, there's little motivation to extend right now.

I was assuming they'd tack on a year.

Just now, Arthur Penske said:

Breeland signed in September. 

This is true.   Felt like he signed later since he didn't play for a good while.

In season signings and injured aren’t relevant. You’re statement said no one ever signs a vet min deal that you’ve heard of. Of course they have an injury history, old, non-premium position or other questions, otherwise they’d be getting a bigger deal.

You still haven't actually showed me anyone who has signed the vet minimum. 

You’re adding all these other caveats on the fly in an attempt to look correct and it dosent work that way. What you initially said was factually wrong. Veteran players you’ve heard of occasionally sign vet minimum deals. It’s not common but it happens and when it does they’re are obviously some question marks around them that make them cheap.

No, actually, factually, it wasn't wrong since you still actually factually haven't shown me one player with a recognizable name who has signed for the veteran minimum. 

I'm not adding any caveats.  The conversation was about signing somebody right now to a veteran minimum deal.  Not in-season, but right now.  It doesn't happen.  You haven't even found one who has signed later or with serious injury concerns, and yet you're expecting us to sign one for the veteran minimum NOW?  When demand is high?  Lol, okay. 

Just now, KingOfTheNorth said:

Pretty sure Adrian Peterson signed for vet minimum in Washington last year. I also remember Freeney doing it a few times. I am almost 100% he did it with the Seahawks in 2017.

False.  Peterson signed for 1 million in total cash.

https://overthecap.com/player/adrian-peterson/1753/

False.  Freeney signed a deal worth 1 million with the Seahawks.  Then, after he was cut by the Seahawks, a million and 80,000 with the Lions. 

https://overthecap.com/player/dwight-freeney/2427/

Just now, Cadmus said:

Robinson and Compton both  signed for the minimum, and that's just off the top of my head.

Tell me which Robinson you're talking about and I'll prove you wrong, too. 

You talking about Will Compton or a different Compton?  If you're talking about someone other than Will Compton, tell me and I'll prove that wrong, too.

https://overthecap.com/player/will-compton/2659/

giphy.gif

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

False.  Peterson signed for 1 million in total cash.

https://overthecap.com/player/adrian-peterson/1753/

ESPN Article on August 21st 2018

"Running back Adrian Peterson has signed a one-year contract with the Washington Redskins, the team announced Monday.

He signed for the veterans minimum of $1.015 million, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter."

False.  Freeney signed a deal worth 1 million with the Seahawks.  Then, after he was cut by the Seahawks, a million and 80,000 with the Lions. 

https://overthecap.com/player/dwight-freeney/2427/

Article from www.fieldgulls.com

"The first item at play is the league minimum salary for someone of Freeney’s experience. Freeney has been playing for quite a long time. In fact, Freeney has been in the NFL so long that he has played in 209 games in his career, starting 157. Just for comparison, all ten Seattle offensive linemen on the 53 man roster have a combined 185 starts in their careers. So, Freeney's been doing this for some time and has fifteen accrued seasons. Under the current CBA the minimum salary for a player with fifteen accrued seasons is $1M. Since Freeney signed for the league minimum, as long as the contract does not pay him more than $80k in combined bonuses (signing, roster, workout, etc.) then the contract qualifies for the veteran minimum salary cap benefit. Because there are ten games left in the season, $8k in per game roster bonuses maxes out at $80k, and thus the contract qualifies for the vet minimum benefit. Under the veteran minimum salary cap benefit, any contract for league minimum, regardless of the actual dollar amount of the contract, carries a cap hit equal to that of the league minimum for a player with two accrued seasons. "

from Spotrac:

Each year the NFL minimum salaries increase by $15,000, up to $480,000 for a rookie in 2018. A player’s minimum salary is determined by his years of experience (YOE), ranging from 0 to 10 or more. The chart below shows the minimum (P5) salaries a team can contract a player to based on Years of Experience (credited seasons).

Yrs. 2017 2018 2019 2020
0 $465,000 $480,000 $495,000 $510,000
1 $540,000 $555,000 $570,000 $585,000
2 $615,000 $630,000 $645,000 $660,000
3 $690,000 $705,000 $720,000 $735,000
4-6 $775,000 $790,000 $805,000 $820,000
7-9 $900,000 $915,000 $930,000 $945,000
10+ $1,000,000 $1,015,000 $1,030,000 $1,045,000

Edited by KingOfTheNorth
  • Like 1

Just now, KingOfTheNorth said:

ESPN Article on August 21st 2018

I forgot the 10+ years thing, so that is correct. 

However, once again, look at when.  Freeney in October, Peterson in August. 

Neither October nor August is March, and we're talking about March.  There won't even be a player whose name you DON'T recognize who will sign for the veteran's minimum at this point in the season. 

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

I forgot the 10+ years thing, so that is correct. 

However, once again, look at when.  Freeney in October, Peterson in August. 

Neither October nor August is March, and we're talking about March.  There won't even be a player whose name you DON'T recognize who will sign for the veteran's minimum at this point in the season. 

I don't disagree. Why would a player take a vets minimum so early in the offseason? All it takes is one team to over pay. I would wait as long as possible before accepting the vet minimum if I was a NFL Free Agent.