2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

39 minutes ago, Chili said:

Just a quick thought. Could we have lost the Bennett appeal so his cap charges are being counted?

We lost that over a year ago.

There's nothing that's changed with our cap. We had 17+m, we signed Lewis, we signed GMo, we didn't cut Tramon. Now we're down to a smidge over 13. Draft picks will take 4ish of that and we usually leave a 5m carryover. That leaves us with about 4-5 to play with. Enough for one reasonably priced player or 2 low salary guys. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

We lost that over a year ago.

There's nothing that's changed with our cap. We had 17+m, we signed Lewis, we signed GMo, we didn't cut Tramon. Now we're down to a smidge over 13. Draft picks will take 4ish of that and we usually leave a 5m carryover. That leaves us with about 4-5 to play with. Enough for one reasonably priced player or 2 low salary guys. 

Very much agree.

I'm not concerned about 2019, GB is fine.  I'm just slightly worried about 2020.

If they do dip into free agency anymore, I hope it is for one year deals.  I don't care about cap this year, I care about 2020.  Being up against it now is fine, I just don't want any more cap charges into 2020.

11 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Very much agree.

I'm not concerned about 2019, GB is fine.  I'm just slightly worried about 2020.

If they do dip into free agency anymore, I hope it is for one year deals.  I don't care about cap this year, I care about 2020.  Being up against it now is fine, I just don't want any more cap charges into 2020.

Packers are currently sitting at 26M in cap space for 2020 and will get to 34M after they inevitably cut Jimmy Graham. It's not a ton, but there won't be a cap crunch for GB in 2020.

EDIT: Spotrac has GB currently at 26M, OTC has GB at 39.9M because of different NFL salary cap assumptions. OTC is assuming a 200M cap, Spotrac is assuming 188M.

Edited by rcon14

Anyway could the $8m and $5m difference could be what we paid Geronimo to keep him here?

$2m under the tender but had we put a 2nd round tender instead we would've paid him $3m. That difference could imply we decided to give Geronimo the $3m after all?

Edited by Chili

Just now, Chili said:

Anyway could the $8m and $5m difference could be what we paid Geronimo to keep him here?

It's not a difference, we have 13m in cap. Silverstein made a bad report and now he's looking for rational to try and cover his butt. Everyone needs to pretend his first tweet never existed.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chili said:

Only now he double check his sources!? what outstanding journalism! 9_9

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

It's not a difference, we have 13m in cap. Silverstein made a bad report and now he's looking for rational to try and cover his butt. Everyone needs to pretend his first tweet never existed.

I mean he made a mistake, but the report was with a caveat and he said wait for more information.  Probably not something to do agian but not the end of the world.

Edited by Arthur Penske

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

He's only human...