2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

10 hours ago, ReadyToThump said:

Yeah, we signed him to a 1yr 2mil contract. Essentially a "poor man's" one year prove it deal. 

Not entirely true. We tendered Geronimo for the 2 mil original round tender which pretty much made him an UFA since he was undrafted. Within 24 hours he got multiple higher bids. He came back to GB and offered to play for slightly less than what other teams offered to stay here and they signed him to an actual 1 year deal for that currently undisclosed amount on the spot.

5 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Sigh...

Blame McCarthy for wanting him out. Gute as a newly appointed GM was trying to work with McCarthy and went along with it. They probably felt ok with it at the time as they had HaHa. 

It all unraveled from here. Now we find ourselves having to rebuild at safety and we just got to make the best of it. In my view its a blessing in disguise because our safety group has been bad for a long time and was overdue for a remake.

I personally feel we should just look for a FS in the draft. I'm not too fussed if we don't pick up a FA - there's only two FS under the age of 28 worth kicking the tyres on, Boston and Riley.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Yes and would account to the luke warm reception from the Giants.

The real reason Giants fans hated him was because of his tackling. I'm not going to sugar coat it, he was below average against the run and in all the games I watched he developed a habit of vying for the "impact/'high velocity tackle" vs. just wrapping up, but there's no doubt he's rangy as hell. 

He represents an ideal complement to Amos. 

Just because he doesn't have a bunch of PD's doesn't mean he didn't routinely impact the direction of play. He didn't give up a TD in pass coverage and he was 2nd in passer rating against among all safeties for a reason. 

Edited by Cadmus

4 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

I said that after he already had his visit and it was reported they wouldn't be agreeing to a contract. 

Sorry, I didn't realize that.

I've been catching up on multiple pages in the thread. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Andy Herman:

With the top 53 and the practice squad I have the Packers with $13.39 million remaining. That does not include Allison, or their top draft picks which will come in higher than what’s on the 53 now. Take that into consideration and it’s probably right at $5 million remaining.

Of course right now the draft picks don’t count against the cap and it’s only the top 51 that count which allows them much greater flexibility for now. But ultimately the 53 + practice squad is what they need to be concerned about.

I don't understand this math at all. 

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Combining this tight on the cap and Tre Boston chit chat......

If you were Tre Boston and the best you could scrounge up was vet minimum offers to play in GB or AZ......where would you sign?

He's not playing for vet minimum. 

He made 1.5 last year. 

He probably bumps up to at least 3 million +/- 500k, if not higher. 

44 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Sigh...

Is Kruse talking about the safety we didn’t play at safety who quit on the team during a game or the safety who couldn’t cover a prayer of a pass to a chunky tight end for a two point conversion? Zach Kruse is such a freaking know-it-all 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Chili said:

Blame McCarthy for wanting him out. Gute as a newly appointed GM was trying to work with McCarthy and went along with it. They probably felt ok with it at the time as they had HaHa. 

It all unraveled from here. Now we find ourselves having to rebuild at safety and we just got to make the best of it. In my view its a blessing in disguise because our safety group has been bad for a long time and was overdue for a remake.

Am I biased if I completely agree with trading Randall but hate the new coaching staff trading Haha?

Edited by Jaegybomb

Don't often post tweets from beat writers, but Ryan Wood is on point here. 

There weren't many true FS types at the start of FA that were realistic targets for GB. 

You basically had Gipson, Roberts, Boston, Adams, and Riley as your primary targets. 

After you exhaust that group you've got Graham, Mitchell and probably Parker who all represent a step down from Group 1 (and are older players), but a step up from Tramon. 

Edited by Cadmus

Just what is the deal on Boston? I don’t know much about him other than what I see on the NFL web site. On paper he looks like a decent player, and he’s started 44 games. But this season will be the 4th team he’s played for in six years, which to me looks like a red flag. Help me out...

Wonder if the Packers saw something they didn't like on the MRI? 

That would make a little more sense with regard to letting him leave without a deal or even attempting to negotiate.  

Edited by Cadmus

1 hour ago, Norm said:

Maybe we can't convert Kizer to safety. Have Cole Madison coach him? Lol okay that's mean now. That trade still sucks though

I disagree entirely. I mean - at what point do you as GM cut the cord on a guy thats not giving you anything on the field - where it counts - where he earns his pay?

Sure he might be a nice guy in the community - but the GBPs arent a community organization - they're a football team and HHCD had shut it down - or turned it halfway off.

So what do you do? Keep playing and paying the guy when he's giving you **** in return (?) and then try to reup with the guy after the season? Not exactly a game plan I'd follow.

Edit add on: Or - on second thought - were you talking about the Randall trade?

Edited by Leader