2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Yeah .. no doubt.  He was hoping to catch the Packers brass in some sort of embarrassing cap snafu.  Idiot!

Trolling for a story HARD....needing that offseason hot take...

28 minutes ago, Chili said:

Anyway could the $8m and $5m difference could be what we paid Geronimo to keep him here?

$2m under the tender but had we put a 2nd round tender instead we would've paid him $3m. That difference could imply we decided to give Geronimo the $3m after all?

Probably around that. 

Out of all the remaining Packers free agent I think we will want to keep one or two of the following: Ibraheim Campbell, Clay Matthews and Mo Wilkerson.

Matthews is going to be the most expensive one which makes me think its unlikely he will be coming back considering our cap space.

When was the last time a player whose name you recognize actually played on the vet minimum?  Do people actually know what the veteran's minimum is in the NFL?  I don't know who said what, but that's one that really bothers me, too.  The veteran minimum for 2019 is 930,000 dollars for 7-9 years.  That is some Jeff Janis dollars amount that literally nobody past a fringe roster player is going to sign for.  That saying of, "I'd sign him for the veteran's minimum" needs to die here. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Erick Flowers just got 4m, I know they aren't studs anymore but you aren't understanding the market.

Mason Crosby gets around 5 mil.  That one kind of rubs me wrong .. he's a decent kicker, but I'm not sure any other team in the league would pay him that much.

Edited by {Family Ghost}

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

When was the last time a player whose name you recognize actually played on the vet minimum?  Do people actually know what the veteran's minimum is in the NFL?  I don't know who said what, but that's one that really bothers me, too.  The veteran minimum for 2019 is 930,000 dollars for 7-9 years.  That is some Jeff Janis dollars amount that literally nobody past a fringe roster player is going to sign for.  That saying of, "I'd sign him for the veteran's minimum" needs to die here. 

Breeland?

Wilkerson is coming off another season ending injury. He's not going to be expensive.

Edited by Arthur Penske
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chili said:

Out of all the remaining Packers free agent I think we will want to keep one or two of the following: Ibraheim Campbell, Clay Matthews and Mo Wilkerson.

Matthews is going to be the most expensive one which makes me think its unlikely he will be coming back considering our cap space.

I hope we keep Clay, I don't trust Mo coming off that injury. We really don't need Mo, its time to unleash the Looney!!

7 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Mason Crosby gets around 5 mil.  That one kind of rubs me wrong .. he's a decent kicker, but I'm not sure any other team in the league would pay him that much.

Crosby's contract is outsized, no doubt. If GB wants more cap space, they'll re-structure that to push that number down.

1 minute ago, St Vince said:

I hope we keep Clay, I don't trust Mo coming off that injury. We really don't need Mo, its time to unleash the Looney!!

I don't see the point of keeping Clay. 2015 was a long time ago, so this idea he can play ILB well I'm not sure is true anymore. And he was clearly washed at EDGE. I'm just not sure what he gives you at this point that you couldn't get from a random cheap guy who you'd pay less.

Just now, Arthur Penske said:

Breeland?

Wilkerson is coming off another season ending injury. He's not going to be expensive.

What's your point?  Yeah, I'd sign both of them for the veteran's minimum.  Neither of them signed for that.  Lol.  That's my point.  There isn't a single player in the NFL who has been in the league and on a roster for 4 years that I WOULDN'T sign for the veteran's minimum.  Wilkerson's cash was 1.6 million, his average salary was 5 million.  That's 5 times over the veteran's minimum.  Breeland just signed for 5 million.  Five times the veteran's minimum. 

No veteran whose name you would ever recognize is going to sign for the veteran's minimum.  I just said the veteran's minimum is 930,000 and you bring up Breeland who is now making 5 million and Wilkerson who made 5 million.  What part of my point are you missing? 

• Like 1